a question to the really proficient handgunners..

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
With a benched revolver with a scope on top, 12” at 100yrds is boring. Most S&W, Taurus, and Ruger revolvers I have shot and rebuilt in the last ~20yrs will hold 2.5-4moa pretty easily.

Shooting offhand with iron sights, well, that’s more of a challenge, naturally. With the right pistols, hitting 12” at 100yrds off-hand still isn’t difficult. With the wrong sights, it’s a significant challenge. I have an 8” hanging at 50yrds which I will engage after a day of shorter range practice with my pocket pistol, a Gen 1 LCP, just because it’s there. It took a while to walk my shots in the first time, but since then, it’s just a matter of remembering the hold over. If it were a 6” target, I might have to shoot more slowly, and if it were a 12” at 100, I’d have to learn new hold overs, but even with the tiny LCP, I wouldn’t think it an unattainable skill.

As a benchmark at the bottom end, I will share this: I re-certify every few years through the NRA Pistol Instructor course, which includes a live fire portion. We have to shoot 16 of 20 rounds into a 5” group on a 6” Circle at 20 yards. I have seen other “instructors” pass the class which obviously still did not know the difference between a muzzle and a breech, but they still passed the live-fire portion. I also test all of my students through the NRA BoPS course on the instructor target if they pass all 3 stages of their student target, and only rarely do students fail, at least on their 2nd attempt - most of these folks never having fired a pistol before the class. So I would honestly say, if you can’t shoot a 5” group at 20 yards, you are far behind “average proficiency.”

Last edited: