Who would buy a lighter single stack 10mm?

Hugeapple

FNG
Classified Approved
As stated above, a 10mm in a pocket rocket is a pretty snappy rig. I'm still chuckling at the P220 comment about throwing the gun If you miss - they are HEAVY! The P220 is also the only 10mm I have ever enjoyed shooting for that exact reason.

If you plan on carrying the 10mm around like a grenade only for use in an emergency, a small gun is a good plan! If you want to shoot it (so you don't have to miss and throw the gun:)), getting something more shootable is probably smart.

The macho guys will say it's not that bad, but the person who wants to own a shooter will reconsider.

FWIW, the FBI dropped the idea of 10mm as their service caliber because the agents complained about it being too much punishment to shoot. (They were shooting Bren 10s and Colt Delta Elites, both big full-size all steel pistols.)

Also worth considering is the fact that the 45 ACP is nearly as good as the 10mm ballistically, and it is far more reliable as an automatic round. I'll take the 15% reduction in recoil energy, ~150 FPS drop in velocity, and nearly identical ballistic coefficient of the .45 ACP. Add on the prolific ammo availability, endless options for form factor, and, when all is said and done, a bigger hole with the .45, and the 10mm is less attractive.

I love the 10mm personally, and would never try to dissuade someone from picking one up, but when I pay mega-bucks to get my gear as light as possible, there are far better options in a light pistol. In my business, I have bought back (at the sellers loss) enough tiny guns with massive chambers to know this story well. Buy a 9mm you love, learn how to load your own ammo or research some +P+ ammo and have a gun you can actually use.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 20
Springfield Armory XD-M Elite Compact with 3.8" barrel. 11 round magazines. I don't think they are bulky at all and fit my hands perfectly.
XDME93810CBOSP-1024x770.png

27 OUNCES

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would by a single stack polymer 10 mm. Especially if it was like my HK45c, double action with a hammer, but no need for a safety.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
After shooting 1911's and Sig 226 and 220 SAO models for years I actually like having the thumb saftety. My smaller guns I carry, a Sig 938 and more recently a 365 have thumb safetys also. I certainly understand the reasoning behind not having one for people whose experience is with striker fired guns without them. I am actually considering getting an M&P 2.0 just due to it being far lighter than my Sig 220 Hunter and having the safety I prefer. The 4" version is just 28.5oz empty, the 5.6" Pro Series version is 31.4oz.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I wish S&W made third gen auto Chiefs Special in 10mm off the 1006 frame. That would be the cat's meow.
Or maybe a Dixon and Dornaus BrenTenC....