Who would buy a lighter single stack 10mm?

Wrench

WKR
Oh I don’t think it’s bad, I shoot 220gr hardcasts out of mine. My titanium 44mag weighs about the same as my G29 and both are not bad to shoot.

I need to find a good hardcast for my G48, I just love the size and feel of that frame. I think the only diff between it and your 43x is a slightly longer barrel or maybe the grip is longer.
Have you had your 10mm over a chronograph?

I found factory loads to be WAAAAY slower than posted. My personal loads at 1250-1300 for 200's are plenty harsh. I have a 329, 45super, 454, 460xvr for reference.

Wrench

WKR
For the 43x 48 guys, look at berry's hybrid in 147. I have been putting them on top of 5.0 gr longshot and getting fantastic expansion with plenty of penetratation.

I use 44-40 bullets in my 10mm and 40 because I like the wide meplat and they're half the money, but the 38 isn't as feeding friendly.

have you shot legitimate full power 10mm ammo from a light gun? I have a LOT of guns and a full power 10 is a handful and hard on guns. I've beat the locking lugs off a couple barrels now in 1911 platforms and don't think I'd want a lighter one with any hopes of long term survival.

What will scratch your itch is a S&W 1911Sc set up in 45 super.

45 super brings a LOT to the table and doesn't seem to beat the shit out of the gun nearly as bad.

I have these as well as the 329pd and find the 1911Sc is plenty reliable and more concealable.

My newest backup is the 43x with shield mags for 15x and loaded with 147 berry's hybrid at +p. It's super controlled, accurate, light and recovered bullets are looking like plenty of penetration with good expansion.
I too have a 43x with the shield mags. Pretty awesome setup.

tdhanses

WKR
Have you had your 10mm over a chronograph?

I found factory loads to be WAAAAY slower than posted. My personal loads at 1250-1300 for 200's are plenty harsh. I have a 329, 45super, 454, 460xvr for reference.

I haven’t, I’m using Underwoods 220gr hardcasts that he lists at 1200ft/s and my chrono is a magnetospeed so not pistol friendly 😂 so I can’t test it really and not going to invest in another just to see.

tdhanses

WKR
For the 43x 48 guys, look at berry's hybrid in 147. I have been putting them on top of 5.0 gr longshot and getting fantastic expansion with plenty of penetratation.

I use 44-40 bullets in my 10mm and 40 because I like the wide meplat and they're half the money, but the 38 isn't as feeding friendly.
I’ll have to pick up some of these hybrid 147’s.

Interesting to be asking about a single stack and then comparing to a p365. I do really like my 365, and I would be interested in a slightly larger version in 10 if it could be done. But I'd prefer it just be proportionally the same, just sized up slightly to 10 mm, so still had same capacity. I'd be alright with something a little bigger than the 365, probably be about the same as a g29sf. I did have one of those and didn't really care for it. Maybe cause of the small grip. Find overall I'm not a huge glock fan, they do work, and are reliable. Just find myself with one of my Sig's more often.

Wrench

WKR
I haven’t, I’m using Underwoods 220gr hardcasts that he lists at 1200ft/s and my chrono is a magnetospeed so not pistol friendly 😂 so I can’t test it really and not going to invest in another just to see.
It took me a lot of work to get 1300 in my g20 with a .75" longer kkm. At 1200 measured fps in stock form it looked like the case was going to pop and the primers would launch. It took slowing down the lock time to keep it together.

My factory 1200fps stuff came in at 1050....fwiw.

tdhanses

WKR
It took me a lot of work to get 1300 in my g20 with a .75" longer kkm. At 1200 measured fps in stock form it looked like the case was going to pop and the primers would launch. It took slowing down the lock time to keep it together.

I also have a lone wolf barrel that is 1” longer then the factory G29 barrel (factory barrel tumbled the 220’s) not sure how much of a diff that makes in a pistol.

Was your factory stuff Underwood?

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting to be asking about a single stack and then comparing to a p365. I do really like my 365, and I would be interested in a slightly larger version in 10 if it could be done. But I'd prefer it just be proportionally the same, just sized up slightly to 10 mm, so still had same capacity. I'd be alright with something a little bigger than the 365, probably be about the same as a g29sf. I did have one of those and didn't really care for it. Maybe cause of the small grip. Find overall I'm not a huge glock fan, they do work, and are reliable. Just find myself with one of my Sig's more often.
I added a grip extender to mine in the end.

45 super brings a LOT to the table and doesn't seem to beat the shit out of the gun nearly as bad.

I second the 45 super, I wanted a 10mm and couldn't find one that fit me well. Started digging into 45 super and the ballistics are pretty close. O
It really opens up the options because 45 is so common. Also you can practice with cheap stuff which is nice. Finally, depending on the firearm you can open it up to 460 rowland, which is a monster.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I’ve shot all the extreme penetrator and hardcast ammo from Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and Underwood looking for something that was reliable in my G20 early on in that project. Also shot all that through my Sig 1911. I have not shot reloads through either.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
To the 9mm guys, I plan to try my Sig P365XL with hardcast. I'd prefer to stay with factory ammo, so if that doesn't shoot or feed particularly well I might try the Extreme Penetrator +P ammo. I have been carrying the little Sig all week on my walks to get in shape for hunting season. I slide my Leatherman Wave off my belt, slide on the Sig for my walks. There is a difference in weight, but it's not one I notice when hiking. The Fobus paddle holster I bought for the gun clips on my regular belt or pack belt and rides nice. I have been carrying it walking with the chamber empty so I can draw on the doves I jump along the route I take through our ranch. I figure it's good practice, I never know when they are going to pop up so I'm having to react. I'm getting familiar with the pistol that way, plus shooting a couple mags every few evenings.

I have tried the Glock 19 and Glock 48 in the store. I have shot the G43X and own the G20. I don't notice it as much with the big G20 with the Streamlight TLR-1 attached, but all the others point high for me. At the store I compared the G19 to a Ruger SR9. When picking a spot on the wall, the Ruger pointed right at it when quickly bringing it up and the G19 pointed high. Same thing with the G48 compared to the Sig P365XL. I'm not bashing Glock, they make a great gun, but for me personally they don't point quite right due to grip angle. I chose to buy guns that did rather than try to change 25 years of habit.

I definitely see myself packing the P365XL on a lot of my fishing and scouting trips where the largest predator is black bear or cougar. The gun is more for my peace of mind there, chances of needing it are low. When not packing a rifle though I always take a handgun.

Razco said they don't make a bino harness holster for my P365XL yet, but probably will before long. I carry my 10x42 Geovid's in an FHF harness for hunting and won't change that. For scouting I could see a set of small 8x binos in a small harness with the little Sig below being a pretty handy set-up. I always have the Swaro 15's and tripod in the pack for scouting so my chest harness binos don't need to be as large or powerful.

Lots of good replies, thanks everyone.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve carried a G20 for almost 2 decades. Switched to a Guccied out G40 4 years ago for my main sidearm. I also have a G29 and a GP100 in 10mm. Of all of them, I carry the G29 the least. It’s slightly too big for deep carry, slightly too small for EDC without a mag pinky extender and then your 90% to a G20.
I’d love to get a light polymer single stack. Something the size of the 365XL would be perfect, and probably do able in a 7 +1 package. So big yes from me.

Vinootz

Banned
I'm just curious why nobody makes a single stack 10mm marketed as a woods gun? To small a market I'm guessing, but with the resurgence in the 10mm I bet it would sell.

I have a G20 and a Sig Tacops 1911 10mm. Both are nice guns and I like them, but I could definitely see myself carrying a more compact and lighter gun if it was an option. I really don't feel like I need more ammo than the 1911 holds so an 8+1 or even 7+1 capacity would be fine by me.

I am not a huge fan of striker fired guns, but recently picked up a Sig P365XL from someone who "panic bought" it when Coronavirus hit at a great price. I really like the thing, I'm hitting better with it than I do with a larger frame striker fired gun like my G20 past 20 yards. The trigger is much better feeling than the Glock, at least to me, and I think that helps a lot. I might carry it scouting in black bear country if it likes hardcast in place of my 357. I always like to have a handgun along, but when the chance of needing it is extremely low a smaller lighter one is fine. I have already been packing it fishing on the river. It's really compact and easy to forget it's there until it's needed.

It got me thinking, why not a polymer framed 10mm single stack? If it's going to be striker fired I'd like mine to be by Sig so it could have the X ray sights and flat trigger like the P365XL. I'd like to have a rail on it for a really compact and lightweight light option too. Make the barrel work fine with hardcast and have a fully supported chamber also for my needs. I am not a Glock hater, but I'm not a guy who thinks Glock is the only way either. Nice guns but they all seem to point high for me. The grip angle is just different than a lot of the other guns I shoot and I'm not as used to it.

Is the 10mm to high pressure to make a smaller polymer framed gun in? Recoil shouldn't be terrible, especially compared to the lighter 44's with bear loads. The hot 10mm loads don't seem to be much hotter than 357's, and my S&W 60 5 shot revolver is controllable enough I enjoy shooting it with 158's or 180's. Add in the action of a semi-auto and a polymer frame, and I'd think it would be pretty manageable.

I was just thinking of this and rambling on, wondering who else had interest in a gun like that.
Get a life-lol

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Only 1911 I have a shine for is the Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm. But price plus it not filling any carry need I have right now keeps it out of the stable.

I shot HSM bear loads 200s, Double Tap 200s, and Underwood 200s over a chrony in a 20 with factory barrel:

5 shot velocity averages:

HSM 1065
DT 1126
Underwood 1167

WIth double tap being the most accurate... getting to 1300 would be tough in a factory barrel I think.

The G37, stretched a bit from frontstrap to backstrap to accept 45 ACP and 10mm would be a winner. 10 rounds, not a brick like the G20/21.