A nation of wimps?

Media sells news. Not reflection of the people at large. IMO.
Media would lead one to believe a group of various races can't be near each other w/o a shooting or a fight breaking out. Every LEO is out to kill a black person. Every storm (hot or cold) is d/t global warming.
Every food item causes cancer. Don't get me started on COVID-19 (LOL). It's a never ending cycle of b.s. sensationalism.

OP
Amos Keeto
I can never get over watching the news and see some firefighter carrying somebody from their porch to the fire truck because of a flood, the freaking water doesn't come up to the firefighters ankles!
Back when Hurricane Katrina racked up a direct hit on NOLA, the eastern side, the nasty side, went up through Mississippi.
A hunting buddy/fireman joined in the throngs of "heros" descending on NOLA. He was sent over to MS to help clear highways, deliver food and water and help with recovery efforts.
Those old country folks fed those guys home-cooked meals, offered them free housing and potable water refills!

When Hurricane Harvey whacked Houston, the Nat'l Guard was tasked with clearing the highways north to expedite evacuation routes.
When they got outside of Houston, the locals had already cleared the roads, cut the wood (mostly pine) into cordwood lengths ready for the pulpwood plants. Hardwoods were turned into firewood or lumber.

Americans are still very resilient, if you go outside the liberal s#¡tholes! ......and the s#¡tholes elect the (d) reps and senators!

OP
Amos Keeto
@ Corbland

"... If you are saying that people in the 30s were hard men…don’t forget the number that killed themselves, ran leaving their families or spent every penny they could scrounge drinking…not exactly what I would call hard men. ..."

My parents were born in 1920/21 respectively. They both experienced the Great Depression.
It was a different time.
Men who had experienced success were suddenly broken, penniless failures.
Resilient people realized the failure wasn't their fault and redirected their efforts to other endeavors.
Some just couldn't overcome the mental aspect of "broke". That's the ones who jumped out of Wall St windows or otherwise "gave up". The ones who couldn't redirect or commit suicide, drank!
Not so much the people, but a result of the situation.
Just like the men I worked with who had served in combat in WWII and Korea.
A surprisingly large number of them were alcoholics.
Some of them were super nice guys who would help you any way they could.
Some were just nasty old curmudgeons.
Some of the 'Nam combat vet's I worked with were pot smokers deluxe.....OR drunks! ...or both!

They were "hard" men, but their experiences altered their behavior in ways a normal person just can't comprehend.

Squincher

WKR
It's way more than just being wimps. That can be debated one way or the other. A couple obvious things. Obesity is through the roof. That can't be debated. Our food and food choices are killing us. Next people don't want to work anymore. I've never seen so many companies that just can't find people to show up and do their job. I think a lot of this stems from all of us loser parents letting our adult children live at home until they are 30. They are "too good" to work a low paying job. I'm in this group, mine is 23. I need to grow a set and have a huge fight with my wife to kick his ass out.

I wonder if the hiring shortage has more to do with the number of boomers who pulled the plug and left the workforce during covid. That's a huge generation of workers to replace. There are a lot of decent, good paying jobs in my area going unfilled, but I don't know anyone not working who isn't retired.

Last edited:
I wonder if the hiring shortage has more to do with the number of boomers who pulled the plug and left the workforce during covid. That's a huge generation of workers to replace. There are a lot of decent, good paying jobs in my area going unfilled, but I don't anyone not working who isn't retired.
Not to mention how many new careers there are. What % of the workforce is doing technology, internet, digital work that simply didn’t exist ten years ago? That created a vacuum in other, more traditional sectors.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One other contributor of unfilled jobs, at least in our area- lots of new folks moving in- some are retired, but many are able to work remotely from home. So we get a large influx of new folks, some don't have to work, some work from home and all of sudden restaurants are only open 4 days a week, almost every retailer in town has a help wanted sign and we have a larger demand for those services- it's not a great combo.

mt100gr.

WKR
One other contributor of unfilled jobs, at least in our area- lots of new folks moving in- some are retired, but many are able to work remotely from home. So we get a large influx of new folks, some don't have to work, some work from home and all of sudden restaurants are only open 4 days a week, almost every retailer in town has a help wanted sign and we have a larger demand for those services- it's not a great combo.
And the influx of people with a little deeper pockets drives up the real estate market! Now no one who could/would potentially work a service industry job can even afford to rent a livable house, let alone buy into the market.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the influx of people with a little deeper pockets drives up the real estate market! Now no one who could/would potentially work a service industry job can even afford to rent a livable house, let alone buy into the market.

very true!

Marshfly

WKR
This is 100% the case in Missoula. Virtually all of my friends either work from home or made money somewhere in the past and are semi-passive investors in some capacity. My wife and I both work from home with a LOT of free time available. Blows me away how many people are in the same boat and out recreating during the week.

We have 4 inches of snow coming in WI and the media (and a lot of people) act like we are all going to die. Snowpocalypse is coming! The news tells you to stock up on food, carry water and a flashlight in your car, stay home unless absolutely necessary, kids school is cancelled the day before, etc. When i was a kid in the 80s 4 in of snow was just another day in WI in winter.

Yes, we are absolutely becoming a nation of wimps. Same reason able bodied young dudes need to use a crossbow now to “bow” hunt.

Guess my question why are you gate keeper that gets to decide who is great and who isn't?

What have you contributed that gives you the right to judge what makes a great American?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
If you actually work or are actively looking for work, pay your own bills, and feel it’s your job to provide for kids you made you’re a great American.

There are many nowadays, more than any time in history, who cannot check off a single thing on that very simple list.

So why is it that the softer, wimpy generation is to blame any who?

What about all you hard ass mother truckers that raised us wimps?

Isn't actually entirely you're fault that you raised a wimp?

Or were you to busy being a hard ass to raise your children and thats how they got soft?

Parents need to look in the mirror if they wanna know why the next generation is how they are.
Where a good portion of todays parents went wrong, with say the current 20s to 35 age group, is they let them have unsupervised and unfettered access to phones, tv, and social media. These devices shaped the attitudes and social mores of that generation.

And yes, that age group by in large is extremely soft, unmotivated, and entitled because that is what all that useless media taught them to be. Some people have caught on though and are backing away from letting their 5th grader have an iphone, at least in the country. City folk no so much.

WKR
I see them all the time in our neighborhood (when it's warmer). Not sure where some folks come up with all these "reasons" for "things", that maybe aren't really "things" to begin with.
It can be a hard job to be "holier than thou" all the time. Sometimes ya' gotta' fluff the data a bit so you can feel better than everybody else.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Boomers like to complain about younger folks as if there is some sort of new and bad behavior happening, but the Greatest Generation thought that Boomers were absolutely worthless and spoiled.

There is always something to complain about and some new activity or technology to blame- be it radio, TV, rock n' roll, the internet, social media, etc.

death, taxes, and whining about young people