A nation of wimps?

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
10,000 years ago nobody lived in a house and if you were cold you just cuddled with a woolly mammoth. You didn’t walk to school barefoot cause there was no school but you were barefoot cause your a f—ing cave man. And when you’re brother got eaten by a saber tooth tiger you just sucked it up and moved on. Ever since then everyone is just a bunch of wusses.

Every person born in America after 1940 is from the generations of wimps. Their parents and grandparents built a world that was far easier, and now the first wimp generation must make themselves feel better by talking down about the subsequent wimp generations. It is laughable.

To the OP, if you had worked 16 hours, 7 days a week at 8 years old I might care. As it is, you prove my point because what you report for being tough conditions are quite frankly, by the standard of most of human history, very soft.
Disagree,it’s hard to deny this world has changed drastically sense 2000.
I grew up in the 80s and it’s not even close.Im speaking from my personal upbringing and raising three kids myself.

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
We could go all the way back to Ooga and Booga in the cave, every generation has said the exact same thing (Wimps, Lazy, etc.) about the latest generation since the beginning of time. The Silent Generation and Boomers talk about how soft we are. We talk about how soft Gen Z is. The babies born this year will be saying the same thing about the 2050's babies.

Everyone of them is going to say "But these ones are ACTUALLY wimps and lazy, back in my day we..."

Don't put too much stock in what other people say and think about you. Live a life that makes you happy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many generations of Americans were great. Current teen to 40 are not so great overall but there are exceptions. It is obvious to me that many of these people have never been told no or held accountable for their actions.
Guess my question why are you gate keeper that gets to decide who is great and who isn't?

What have you contributed that gives you the right to judge what makes a great American?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
The young, as to character, are ready to desire and to carry out what they desire. Of the bodily desires they chiefly obey those of sensual pleasure and these they are unable to control. Changeable in their desires and soon tiring of them, they desire with extreme ardor, but soon cool; for their will, like the hunger and thirst of the sick, is keen rather than strong. They are passionate, hot-tempered, and carried away by impulse, and unable to control their passion; for owing to their ambition they cannot endure to be slighted, and become indignant when they think they are being wronged. They are ambitious of honor, but more so of victory; for youth desires superiority, and victory is a kind of superiority. And their desire for both these is greater than their desire for money, to which they attach only the slightest value, because they have never yet experienced want, as Pittacus said in his pithy remark on Amphiaraus. They are not ill-natured but simple-natured, because they have never yet witnessed much depravity; confiding, because they have as yet not been often deceived; full of hope, for they are naturally as hot-blooded as those who are drunken with wine, and besides they have not yet experienced many failures. For the most part they live in hope, for hope is concerned with the future as memory is with the past. For the young the future is long, the past short; for in the morning of life it is not possible for them to remember anything, but they have everything to hope; which makes them easy to deceive, for they readily hope. And they are more courageous, for they are full of passion and hope, and the former of these prevents them fearing, while the latter inspires them with confidence, for no one fears when angry, and hope of some advantage inspires confidence. And they are bashful, for as yet they fail to conceive of other things that are noble, but have been educated solely by convention. They are high-minded, for they have not yet been humbled by life nor have they experienced the force of necessity; further, there is high-mindedness in thinking oneself worthy of great things, a feeling which belongs to one who is full of hope.

In their actions, they prefer the noble to the useful; their life is guided by their character rather than by calculation, for the latter aims at the useful, virtue at the noble. At this age more than any other they are fond of their friends and companions.

On Youthful Character, Aristotle
4th Century BC

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Most every building is climate controlled, majority of manual labor or labor-based trades are increasingly sub’d out, education standards decrease while educational content goes further away from math/science unless you are fortunate to have a STEM program in your district. One might say the state of the country is a direct culmination of modern technology advancement, efficient food distribution networks, and changing societal values that start in the highest density areas 🤷

To combat this, my kids enjoy forced labor, spirited outdoor adventures with dad, monthly volunteer work or community service with mom, and a short but rigid list of chores that are non-negotiable.
I don’t expect my kids to walk uphill both ways, I do expect work ethic and accountability.

I generally think that kids/people that live in metro areas struggle to find purpose and build self-reliance like kids from rural or semi-rural areas, but can you fault someone for being wimpy and looks at you and your blaze orange tuxedo like a crazy person when they live in a city where the bottom line is “convenience through engineering”? I might conclude that they are a product of their environment, and that environment was the brainchild of people who were tired of living non-wimpy life. #deepthoughtswithbourbon

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Guess my question why are you gate keeper that gets to decide who is great and who isn't?

What have you contributed that gives you the right to judge what makes a great American?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I was born a free man and we all make judgements. What do I need to do in order to voice an opinion?

Many generations of Americans were great. Current teen to 40 are not so great overall but there are exceptions. It is obvious to me that many of these people have never been told no or held accountable for their actions.
Ouch. As a near 40 year old, I'm wounded. But I do feel exceptional, so I won't disagree entirely. It's just the same old song and dance, sadly. "Kids these days...". And I say that phrase now too. It's the truth we know (and what those before us have always experienced) and it comes from prosperity and progress. As a conservative person, I don't always love what progress brings, but I've benefited from the prosperity.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Disagree,it’s hard to deny this world has changed drastically sense 2000.
I grew up in the 80s and it’s not even close.Im speaking from my personal upbringing and raising three kids myself.
If you think growing up in average 1980s America counts as toughening up, your standard for tough is sadly low.

You need to get out more. This post simply is not true.
I said generations, not individuals. You need to learn more history, and indeed get out more and see the world beyond the posh and privileged existence of most Americans.

In general, a person who has to tell others they are not soft is lacking the depth of experience to truly be hard. I have seen an old lady walk into the ED on a freshly broken ankle and just want to know why it hurts (also seen some really tough men, that is just one example), and I have seen lots more men whine that they have a high pain tolerance and truly must have a problem because this hurts really bad, and after a comprehensive work-up, they have nothing more than constipation. I have seen far more of the later than the former.

Tough people just get on with life, they don't have to tell anyone they are tough, because they are not trying, they just are.

I said my personal up bringing.
Ya I did do a lot tougher shit in the 80s than my kids and there friends today.
Maybe it’s hard to understand my comment but read it again.I said MY personal upbringing and experience.
All generations definitely have there pussys and retards.Just way more today.