A little lost… career change?

MNGrouser

FNG
An ex-girlfriend told me once in a fight that there is a difference between living to work and working to live. If you have a job that compensates you well and affords you the opportunity to do the things you ACTUALLY love, you are in an enviable situation. Speaking for myself, I can't see trading less free time for the benefit of making 40% less money.

Happiness is a choice. I'd stick it out where you are and decide to be happy about it.

I did it at about 35, and I've seen friends do it as well. It's generally worked out well. It worked out great for me - one of the least conflicted decisions I've ever made, 0 second guessing. That said, it's a lot harder to make a complete jump. You don't really know what these other jobs are like, you just have your imagination, going into a lot of debt really sucks, and you're basically starting over.

Instead, maybe think of taking your career in a new direction? Engineering degrees are valuable and you can take them in a ton of different directions, even more so if you have your PE. Go build water treatment systems in central america, get with a stream restoration firm (there's one in Whitefish!), try and get on the USFS burned area emergency response team, get a job with a mine in Alaska, work municipal water treatment and do 4 10s, etc.... I didn't completely switch gears, but I springboarded off my previous career into a whole new area.
It's mind boggling how much work is being lined up in municipal work. The new PFAS/PFOA regulations are going to create so much work for design engineers, it's crazy. When they get those systems nailed down, lithium is up next. You may not want to work for a municipal outfit, but the design work lined up behind them is incredible.

Wanted to pick your guys brains, specifically those that have made large career changes

I’m knocking on the door of 30 years old, have a 4 year degree and have been working in the same engineering field since graduating about 8 years ago (3 different jobs, nearly identical work)

This job has great flexibility and allows me to do other things on the side like build a house as the GC but I’ve lost a lot of my ambition and drive in in career. This has been going on for the last 2 or so years

There are days I comment on how I want to do something that makes a difference in the world and potentially helps people/communities (think firefighter as a random example).

But I know that a big career change will likely lead to approx 40% less income and not much time flexibility to do side businesses (only debt I have is about 50% on a home). This reduced time and funds would impact my available funds for my #1 hobby, hunting and shooting

Anyone made a big career change and regretted it? Would love to hear some stories weather they be for or against making large career changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went opposite. Went from helping the community (nurse) to owning my own company and work as a residential and commercial GC.

I’ll take the income and time freedom I have now.

I spent most of my youth and young adult life doing everything for everyone else and never asking for anything in return (friends, family, relationships, strangers)

At 38 and married with a kid on the way in today’s economy with a county that has a FUBAR moral compass I only worry about me and mine.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I’m knocking on the door of 30 years old, have a 4 year degree and have been working in the same engineering field since graduating about 8 years ago (3 different jobs, nearly identical work)
What type of engineering and what is your degree in? I have a BS in civil engineering. I started on it late and graduated when I was your age. Now I'm 7 years in as a licensed PE and my salary has almost tripled in that time. I can't see a scenario where abandoning the degree and completely changing careers is a good idea. Most problems with work can be fixed by switching employers, and I've done that a few times.

Wrench

WKR
If you can find a way to weasel into hydroelectric, every dam out there is at it's planned service life and always being redesigned.

The budgets in hydro are beyond imagination.

Wanted to pick your guys brains, specifically those that have made large career changes

This job has great flexibility and allows me to do other things on the side like build a house as the GC but I’ve lost a lot of my ambition and drive in in career. This has been going on for the last 2 or so years

There are days I comment on how I want to do something that makes a difference in the world and potentially helps people/communities (think firefighter as a random example).

But I know that a big career change will likely lead to approx 40% less income and not much time flexibility to do side businesses (only debt I have is about 50% on a home). This reduced time and funds would impact my available funds for my #1 hobby, hunting and shooting

Anyone made a big career change and regretted it? Would love to hear some stories weather they be for or against making large career changes

In your situation. Buckle down. Find realistic side hustle. A general contractor isn’t going to work unless you want a full time x2 full time job. That’s no joke. Post Covid, you’ll spend more time finding and getting material on the job, then you’ll ever have to do it as a side gig. It’s getting rough out there with availability and lead times when you can find it still in production.

Buckle down. Save and invest money. Stay at your job. Work it. Save your money. Invest invest invest. With added investment capital from a side hustle, you’ll be out in 20 if you’ve already started.

Enjoy life. But, keep the end goal in sight. Money isn’t everything but, that time off is priceless.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
There have been a lot of good tactical and practical ideas offered up. Before making any moves I would ask if you have checked on your heart recently? Not the physical pump station but the spiritual one.

I am also in my 30s and have a lot of friends who are trying to quench what is ultimately a spiritual thirst (fulfillment, satisfaction, security) with earthly means (money, time, job title, gear, hunts etc). We all know this trap and truthfully, you'll never satisfy that thirst until you start seeking the Lord first...in all things.

tim88

FNG
haven't read through everyone's suggestions so hopefully i'm not duplicating:

- have you checked out the FIRE movement? how far would you be from a coast fire situation?
- you've landed similar jobs over a few years, is it a job you can leave for a year and be fairly confident you can get another job in the field in a year? try a different field but have a safety net of going back to what you know?

I'm not sure what you're doing in the engineering field but lets be honest could you do that and make the money while doing projects for underserviced areas? is that going to be any different than being a lineman and doing storm clean up and running wires from rural america's countryside to the urban areas so everyone can have electricity? I think El-jefe is onto something that it is more an internal struggle. I know i'm 36 same boat, I enjoy my job, i'm self employed but it still doesn't make me who I am, it is just a business that I am good at, I generally enjoy and like you pays the bills and offers flexibility. my goals right now are to hit a more comfortable coast fire number so I can adjust my schedule even greater if I choose to

OP
T
I wanted to thank everyone that has commented on here, I like the contrasting opinions, they add different dimensions to my decision/thoughts.

I’ve been having these unfulfilled thoughts for the last 2-3 years. To try to “fix” the issue, I’ve moved several times including a few hundred of miles away, continued to stack my hunting schedule with more and more hunts every year (maybe too many), bought and sold many trucks, put together several rifles, joined shooting clubs, built several house on the side, joined a church, put together a home gym (use regularly but also go into a gym for social interactions) speak with friends and family and while some of these things have helped, I still have this nagging feeling of not knowing what I want/should be doing in this world

Several people mentioned spiritual solutions, I think there is some big progress to be made in that area but that world is still very muddy to me

Last edited:

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to thank everyone that has commented on here, I like the contrasting opinions, they add different dimensions to my decision/thoughts. I’ve read each comment and think on them through out each day.

I’ve been having these unfilled thoughts for the last 2-3 years. To try to “fix” the issue, I’ve moved hundreds of miles away, continued to stack my hunting schedule with more and more hunts every year (maybe too many), bought and sold many trucks, put together several rifles, joined shooting clubs, built several house on the side, joined a church, put together a home gym (use regularly but also go into a gym for social interactions) speak with fiends and family and while some of these things have helped, I still have these nagging feeling of not knowing what I want/should be doing in this world

Several people mentioned spiritual solutions, I think there is some big progress to be made in that area but that world is still very muddy to me

Just pray.
It works.

BigNate

WKR
I believe everyone has a purpose. Some don't look to fulfill it. Some run from it knowing what it is. Some are unsure, and need to spend time getting to know what they are called to do. Each is their own.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, in today's social media world we look at life as this constantly changing find the easy road to riches path. I can tell you if you have a career that allows you to do things you want, affords you a lifestyle you want, allows time away for your family and passions then figure out a way to be satified. You can start over and make less money and MAY be happier, but you never know. YOU will stary as low man, you will get the shit assignments, shit locations. If you can stomach those things, then fortune favors the bold.
Sage advice here.

KyleR1985

WKR
Having a kid made all the things I don’t like about my job less painful. A dial just got rolled instantly.

It also made all the things I like to do in my free time less enjoyable. A dial just got rolled instantly.

I’m now more motivated to work, and less motivated to do anything without my kid.

But I don’t have to go looking for meaning in life anymore.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Fire fighter might look cool and rewarding, but there's a reason they are among the highest rates of suicide I believe. You see some horrific things you will never get out of your mind.
True, but being able to trade a couple of shifts for 3 weeks off is a positive, plus all the video games, pickleball, and chili!

(joking)

mjh

FNG
I’ve started, stopped, shifted careers multiple times—to me it’s all part of life—I’m in transition right now—it’ll all work out fine in the end….

yak

Lil-Rokslider
My experience:

I took an engineering role right after college. Climbed the ladder and was well compensated in this large cooperate company. I had flexible time off, but I dreaded going into work come Sunday night. After about 12 years with that company, At the age of 36 I changed companies to a much smaller company doing very similar work, but able to wear many hats and contribute by working with my hands. I did take a ~15% pay cut to change companies with worse medical benefits.

Looking back, the change was one of the best decision I made in my career. I've been there 3.5 years, so we'll see what it looks like in another 5, but I'm much happier working for a small company. I'm making the same now as my previous employer, unlimited time off and although it still feels like a job most days, I'm a better husband, father and friend when I'm not counting the minutes until I get to go home from work.

You might be able to stay in your field, make a little less $ to maintain flexible time-off AND enjoy your work. Like others have mentioned, its still a job and hard to find one that is enjoyable everyday. Your going to have good days and bad days at any career.