A little lost… career change?

Wanted to pick your guys brains, specifically those that have made large career changes

I’m knocking on the door of 30 years old, have a 4 year degree and have been working in the same engineering field since graduating about 8 years ago (3 different jobs, nearly identical work)

This job has great flexibility and allows me to do other things on the side like build a house as the GC but I’ve lost a lot of my ambition and drive in in career. This has been going on for the last 2 or so years

There are days I comment on how I want to do something that makes a difference in the world and potentially helps people/communities (think firefighter as a random example).

But I know that a big career change will likely lead to approx 40% less income and not much time flexibility to do side businesses (only debt I have is about 50% on a home). This reduced time and funds would impact my available funds for my #1 hobby, hunting and shooting

Anyone made a big career change and regretted it? Would love to hear some stories weather they be for or against making large career changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Conventional thinking would say, making a large career change is not a good financial step and would set me back for a long time

Happiness thinking say change it up lol. Just not sure what I really want to do, been thinking on it the last 2 years

jolemons

WKR
Always done what I'm passionate about, agriculture and conservation. However, have you considered doing volunteer or part-time work to help fulfill the satisfaction gap? Volunteer firefighter or EMT, Boys and Girls Club, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
I'm in the same boat, been in construction in residential my whole life, have own and still actively own a business, but now work full time for a highway district. Drastically hate the job, and in my opinion it was a career and drive killer.

Now looking into seeing if I could do nursing school and become a RN, or even get into L/E, tried one round on interviews last fall with departments, but still trying to figure out if that is a good job for me, my personality and marriage.
It's hard to just go into something totally different for a career, especially when married. Would've been different if I wasn't married.

OP
T
Always done what I'm passionate about, agriculture and conservation. However, have you considered doing volunteer or part-time work to help fulfill the satisfaction gap? Volunteer firefighter or EMT, Boys and Girls Club, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

That is what I’ve thought would be a next good step. However, it just doesn’t click or stick when I’m tried the simple volunteer (haven’t tried EMT, firefighter)

I still struggle to put it into a single career/job but random ideas I’ve had were remote power line installers (lineman) that bring power to rural communities, something along the lines of firefighter (forest or traditional but I struggle with gore and people passing away so I haven’t pursued those careers)

OP
T
I'm in the same boat, been in construction in residential my whole life, have own and still actively own a business, but now work full time for a highway district. Drastically hate the job, and in my opinion it was a career and drive killer.

Now looking into seeing if I could do nursing school and become a RN, or even get into L/E, tried one round on interviews last fall with departments, but still trying to figure out if that is a good job for me, my personality and marriage.
It's hard to just go into something totally different for a career, especially when married. Would've been different if I wasn't married.

I wish you luck but appreciate you sharing, it helps to know this may be a common issue

I made a significant career change around 30 after falling into the go to college and get a corporate job and waste your life away trap. I will say that the fulfillment of doing something that satisfies you and makes you happy will far outweigh any financial hit you take. Don't let doing something you hate steal your youth. The most financially sound decision isn't always the best for you. Bet on yourself.

Braaap

WKR
I say 100% go for it. Life too short to be unhappy. I made a career change to firefighting around your age and I think it’s a great career and worth looking into. PM me if you have any questions. But no matter what career path you choose I say go for it. Easy choices hard life, hard choices easy life.

Tick

WKR
A significant difference in salary has to be considered. Doing a job you love can still suck if sitting at home is all you can afford to do on days off. If the difference isn't life changing then try it. You have time and education to fall back on if a change doesn't work out. Kinda like wives. May take a few to get it right.

Do you work in the corporate world or more as what some would say a "field" engineer at a satellite office?

Unfortunately, if you aren't plugged into the corporate clique, an engineering role will last another 30 to 35 years for you, and that's all.

If the only debt you have right now is 50% of the equity in your home, you're probably positioned to make a move. I grew out of the childhood fairytale of just being an engineer years ago. Once you get there, doing engineering stuff as a career becomes irrelevant.

Doesn't surprise me you're looking for something new, most people with ambition do...

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
I sit on a local chapter board (NWTF) and its extremely fulfilling. We do a lot of stuff for the kids as well as local and national hunters. Start there, or similar.

The opportunity cost of leaving your career should be considered carefully and sampled before going gung ho.

Jt89

FNG
Don't let doing something you hate steal your youth. The most financially sound decision isn't always the best for you. Bet on yourself.

This is very sage advice - HOWEVER at 35 years old and having gone through the "I hate my job/I'm not fulfilled in my job/Am I wasting my life away when I could be doing something more meaningful" stages of my working life, I have this opinion to add. This is only my opinion in my experience so far:

Your job, career, income stream or whatever pays the bills is just that. It's a means to an end. If you are good at it, there is a demand for you and your skillset, and a clear direction in which you can take things then all of the questions about whether or not it is meaningful to you is just noise, distraction. It is a far more efficient use of your time to remain where you are, be good at what you do and in high demand, and work towards an early retirement, than to hop the fence and start again.

Lots of people wish they could do exactly what they love and get paid for it, very few manage to make it happen. Social media makes it look so much more attractive and achievable than it actually is in real life. I've learnt so far that a wiser path is to be financially savvy and get yourself debt free as fast as possible - that gives you the freedom to pursue things passionately without needing to hang a financial noose around your passions.

Use your dreams as fuel to feed the fire you have, rather than tinder to start again.

Marble

WKR
I made a 180 degree career change at 47. Slightly forced, but it's worked out well.

A few thoughts...

Ask yourself if there is something in your life you are not happy with. Sometimes, the work dissatisfaction is a sympton.

Excepting and assuming a 40% loss is nieve. You need to think harder about the possibilities in your new career and talk to some people who do what you're thinking.

If you do what you love and put a good environment around you, success is generally a given. Whatever you choose, choose to be the best at whatever that is, and you will have success.

If you think you can, or you can't, you're right.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I say it’s usually those that are financially set that say go get a job that has meaning etc.

To those that barely make enough to get buy money is always an issue - unless you like living like a monk….

A serious financial assessment needs to be made because it does affect quality of life and overall enjoyment.

If the new career you think will bring you more enjoyment pays enough to maintain a lifestyle you are happy and content with then it makes sense…

Studies show once your basic needs are met, more income does not necessarily affect your core happiness. So you need to see if it’s work causing you not to be happy or other aspects of your life? (Recent studies show that the amount people feel they need to meet all their needs, buy a house and save for retirement is about $186,000 to live comfortably)

Last edited:
You ever hear the saying “Good, cheap, or fast, you can have two but not all three.”

Careers are similar but the triangle is more like “Well compensated, fulfilled, or flexible”

If I were on the younger end, I would take well compensated and flexible, accumulating enough wealth to be in the position to pursue lifelong fulfillment under my own terms.

You should watch this video 😎

Since you said you do not do well with gore or death I would not go into Nursing/FF/LE, etc. You are eventually going to see it and have to deal with it. Possibly look into volunteering on community boards, conservation groups or other things like that. Could you use your degree and knowledge that you have from work to help people or groups out?

I would say that if you are compensated well and have the flexibility find something to fill that time that will allow you to keep your current job.