Hunting guide as a career ?

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
With guide concession areas, is it even possible to get the opportunity to be able to guide anywhere you want to ?

Beendare

WKR
I owned a guide business and have helped buddies that are guides with their clients.

I almost lost my love for hunting …essentially it was a job- not fun.

Besides that, There is no money in it.

Get in a trade; electrical, welding, something like that and make some money

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
1. Military. Do your initial stint and get out.
2. Skilled trades. Learn then Open your own small shop and take time off as you want.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I guided when I was 18, I thought I’d enjoy it. Honestly it sucked, I’d never do it again. The guys who pay to hunt elk here in Idaho from the east coast all seem to think there’s a bull behind every tree and there’s not. The pay isn’t great, I got paid 150 a day, but after taxes it was really like 100 bucks a day, and you work from 2:30 in the morning until 11:30 at night. And you still have to find a different gig the rest of the year. Personally I also think most outfitters are lying thieves. I also did some time in the military and that was enjoyable for me, I’d recommend it. I’m an electrician now and that’s the bees knees, pays good out west and I can take off time whenever I want.

I guided for 18 years full time hunters in the fall, fly fishing in the summer, and snowmobiles in the winter or I worked in ski shops. Lifestyle was a blast, money was not great. Once I got married and had kids it became extremely tough, being away all over the west for 8 months. Definitely cuts into your own hunting and free time. With a family any free time you do have is spent keeping life in order not necessarily doing what you want. I would recommend the coast guard route until you become established in life and set yourself up for success financially. Speak to some outfitters and see if you can get on part time for a few hunts a year, or guide a few fishing trips a week or month on the side to become better aquatinted with the industry. Honestly to be really successful you need to build a solid reputation and a repeat clientele. I worked for 3 different fly shops and 3 different hunting outfitters throughout the year to be able to have enough guide days to make a living. In the end my business was almost 80% repeat and the tips had improved by 200% from what they were when I first started. I could no longer sustain the time away from home and family and ultimately had to move on. I full well intend to return to guiding at least part time once my kids have graduated highschool and started their own lives. Good luck to you whatever you choose.

I’m 21 years old and trying to figure out what I want to do in life, I’m looking into the coast guard but I’m a little bit apprehensive about enlisting with being married soon and potentially being underway on a ship/cutter for over half of the year… but my dream is to guide hunts/ fishing trips… I travel out to Wyoming, sd, and out west in general every year just to hike, explore and hunt predators… I live on the east coast and we have some good deer hunting but it’s not the same world over here. Those of you that guide, how did you get into it? I’m a young guy and I’m getting married soon so I need to get things moving one way or another
Not a guide but always wanted to be! Sounds like a dream job! Good luck.

Unless your the owner/outiftter you won't make much at all, and you'll probably never have time to do your own hunts.
I considered going to guide school right after high school and glad I didn't. The money sucks, it's a hard life, and in the off season you have to find other work.

I work full time at a paper mill, and the last couple years I've taken a side job as a guide for an outfitter im friends with while I'm on vacation.
It sucks, it's stressful and it's really not worth it. I probably won't be doing it again.
I make $300 a day. So for 5 days, I made $1500. That's before taxes. I used my truck, I paid for gas every day And food. My first year I made less per day. It's not worth the stress to me, to limit my own season to make sure the client is successful while battling public land and the public.

Your best bet, is to goto lineman school, journey out and in 4 years you'll be making $200k + a year. Have plenty of jobs out west where u can work, take off a few months to do your own hunts ans then go back to work.

I regret not doing that 20 years ago. Now I'm too old to start over. I should have listened to my mom.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

N.ID7803

WKR
Check out forestry. Great career outside! If you are willing to hike and learn you can’t beat the job. Lots of opportunity in the industry.

LFC911

WKR
I think it is pretty cool that you're asking this question at your age. 35 years ago I got married at 20, it was probably best decision of my life. I was a Firefighter in the Army Reserves at the time, college dropout and and just started my first f/t job. I posted on another thread that i think a f/t FF is the best job you could have and be able to take a lot of time off to hunt, most work 10 days per month and have a f/t side hustle on the side. Pay is good to great short of owning your own business. Most FD's around here require FF 1 (one semester and 3 credit hours) and a standardized physical agility test to apply. Good luck in whatever you choose to do and keep us posted.

rhsmith3

FNG
Lots of great advice here. Wish I had this resource about 15 years ago.

I really enjoy guiding and meeting new clients.

Everybody’s scenario and priorities are different, if I could that’s what I’d be doing full time.

Just remember, you could spend lots of time, lots of effort and most your money to become a great hunter and guide… or learn a trade and take time off to actually hunt for yourself….