A Giraffe with a 6UM

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Why is it so wrong to call this what it obviously is? It’s a sensationalised and polarizing clip, intentionally posted to create controversy, and generate clicks. Because hey, the golden rule in showbiz is “no publicity is bad publicity”, right? That kind of stuff is off putting to me.
I didn't take it that way. Unless you're saying he's a liar, he said he only posted it because folks were calling bullshit on it. Off the get go he posted minimal photos and necropsy details to validate it happened but had an awareness a giraffi is a touchy subject. Folks didn't believe him so he posted the real time sequence so folks could see how it played out.

If the purpose was purely click bait clicks the video would have been constructed and advertised as such. We all know what those videos actually look like and frankly this wasn't one of those in my opinion.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lets take a step back, if someone was testing a bullet on a large animal and shot a cattle cow/bull to validate what happened would folks mix in all their feelings about how majestic (or not) the animal was, would they comment if there was a ranch truck in the vicinity, etc? Did Ryan pretend this was some super challenging back country "hunt"? OR did he say he wanted to test this bullet/velocity combination on a BIG animal known to have a thick hide, etc? They've already shot elk with it so that has already been addressed. The options to legally shoot animals, esp. ones that are big with thick hides, to test how a bullet works is fairly limited, don't we all agree? We all also probably are aware that many bullets get tested over in africa, right?

It feels like some of these comments are like fly fishing purists that only fish hike in alpine natural lakes commenting about someone testing a piece of fishing equipment off a charter boat in Alaska where its more or less a gimmie to hook up with something. The latter isn't meant to mimic the former "experience" and shouldn't feel threatening to the former person or whatever.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Lets take a step back, if someone was testing a bullet on a large animal and shot a cattle cow/bull to validate what happened would folks mix in all their feelings about how majestic (or not) the animal was, would they comment if there was a ranch truck in the vicinity, etc? Did Ryan pretend this was some super challenging back country "hunt"? OR did he say he wanted to test this bullet/velocity combination on a BIG animal known to have a thick hide, etc? They've already shot elk with it so that has already been addressed. The options to legally shoot animals, esp. ones that are big with thick hides, to test how a bullet works is fairly limited, don't we all agree? We all also probably are aware that many bullets get tested over in africa, right?

It feels like some of these comments are like fly fishing purists that only fish hike in alpine natural lakes commenting about someone testing a piece of fishing equipment off a charter boat in Alaska where its more or less a gimmie to hook up with something. The latter isn't meant to mimic the former "experience" and shouldn't feel threatening to the former person or whatever.
Agree wholeheartedly with this. All this stuff about, “not appropriate for African-hunting” is a red herring that distracts from the fact that this whole thing is about how effective smaller fragmenting bullets can be on large animals.

Nope. That would be a bad look too.

So basically just shooting giraffes is a bad look unless you pretend it's something it's not?

For the record, i dont wholly disagree with "hunting" giraffes often having a bad look.

Anything where a person pays thousands of dollars to basically drive/walk up to and shoot and pretend like it's an accomplishment is somewhat off-putting to lots of people. I just have no issue with use of a non-traditional cartridge.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Nope. That would be a bad look too.
I’m curious what you think would be a good look? Change the caliber, change the animal, ditch the camera, ditch the crocs? It’s easy to find fault, but positive feedback is always more helpful. I think Ryan was legit trying to test the dogma that we all hear about ballistics and bullet construction. Are you saying the whole premise is wrong or just the way it was documented?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m curious what you think would be a good look? Change the caliber, change the animal, ditch the camera, ditch the crocs? It’s easy to find fault, but positive feedback is always more helpful. I think Ryan was legit trying to test the dogma that we all hear about ballistics and bullet construction. Are you saying the whole premise is wrong or just the way it was documented?
The way it was documented. I already answered your question.
Everyone I’ve talked to, including my own family, who have hunted Africa have said it’s all “little challenge.” In fact, none plan on going back until they’re too old to still climb mountains.
I agree with this. Which is why I went with archery gear. I have no desire to go back. At least not RSA.

SDHNTR

WKR
So basically just shooting giraffes is a bad look unless you pretend it's something it's not?

For the record, i dont wholly disagree with "hunting" giraffes often having a bad look.

Anything where a person pays thousands of dollars to basically drive/walk up to and shoot and pretend like it's an accomplishment is somewhat off-putting to lots of people. I just have no issue with use of a non-traditional cartridge.
No, it’s not just giraffes, at least IMO. It’s the situation. Could have been Kudu, eland or anything else. The fact that this was a giraffe certainly doesn’t help in the eyes of many others though.

Your last paragraph nailed it!

The point, IMO, could have been much better made with an elk hunt in the Rockies, or a Brown Bear or Moose hunt in AK, or anything else depicting an actual hunt.

But that wouldn’t generate the buzz and clickbait now would it?

I think if many were truly honest with themselves, they would agree with me. If they were brave enough to go against the group think and admit it.

Last edited:
No, it’s not just giraffes, at least IMO. It’s the situation. Could have been Kudu, eland or anything else. The fact that this was a giraffe certainly doesn’t help in the eyes of many others though.

Your last paragraph nailed it!

The point could have been much better made with an elk hunt in the Rockies, or a Brown Bear or Moose hunt in AK, or anything else depicting an actual hunt.

Lots of elk and bears being killed with 22 and 243 cal bullets already.

I agree with this. Which is why I went with archery gear. I have no desire to go back. At least not RSA.

That's pretty hypocritical. It's ok for you to use a less lethal weapon because shot ops are easy to come by but a cleaner killing tool is a bad look? Does not compute.

SDHNTR

WKR
Lots of elk and bears being killed with 22 and 243 cal bullets already.

That's pretty hypocritical. It's ok for you to use a less lethal weapon because shot ops are easy to come by but a cleaner killing tool is a bad look? 👀 Does not compute.
Ha! Absolutely not. Obvious range limitations aside, to me, in no way is a sharp broadhead on a 500 gr arrow any less lethal or less clean killing than anything else. Let’s not reignite that boring debate.

Look, religion, politics, even science, is open to interpretation and subject to opinions. This is mine. You don’t have to like it. I’m entitled to it just like anyone else. And I think this site could use a little more difference of opinion. Which is why I spoke up.

ElPollo

WKR

My question was intended to solicit positive feedback. If you do not like how it was documented, how should it have been done?

I think that recording it and posting it the way he did substantially increased the viewership and discussion about it. You can’t ever expect all discussion to be relevant or educated. But if that makes one person reevaluate using gun/cartridge/bullet combo that they can’t accurately shoot and humanely harvest animals with, isn’t that a good thing?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I think if many were truly honest with themselves, they would agree with me. If they were brave enough to go against the group think and admit it.
Hard to agree with you when you're fabricating things. Again if a video was intended as clickbait, versus posted up to address the comments from folks here about the hunt, it would have been edited/produced/hyped up/etc. to actually be click bait.

Its not group think to point out you're projecting in your comments about the video. My impression is it wasn't meant to be clickbait or some elk "hunt". You seem to have wanted it to be that versus taking it a face value.

atmat

WKR
to me, in no way is a sharp broadhead on a 500 gr arrow any less lethal or less clean killing than anything else.l
Lol is that “your truth?”

Archery gear is maybe mildly less challenging on game farms. Literally the only difference is less distance and demonstrably/objective less killing potential.

I think if many were truly honest with themselves, they would agree with me. they were brave enough to go against the group think and admit it.
Being a contrarian for the sake of being contrarian doesn’t mean everyone else suffers “group think.”

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Look, religion, politics, even science, is open to interpretation and subject to opinions. This is mine. You don’t have to like it. I’m entitled to it just like anyone else. And I think this site could use a little more difference of opinion. Which is why I spoke up.

This site has WAY more difference of opinion than it does “like minded” opinions. That’s very easy to search and verify here. It’s not even close. The general “old school” or what folks call “fudd” echo chamber is still far louder on site than any other.

I personally also have zero desire to walk up to a fenced in big game animal and kill it. I also don’t film hunts personally as it’s not my cup of tea. Just this year I started filming some shooting stuff because of the cold bore challenge. Will that graduate into videoing kills? Maybe? I don’t know.

Simply because I “wouldn’t do” something hunting related doesn’t mean I think “it’s lame” or “off putting” in my opinion. I also think that sharing this is helpful in showing folks that their preconceived notions of “bigger is always better” may not always be the case.