Training help wanted

Hey guys, I've been doing a pretty similar routine all winter, I lift weights one day then cardio the next rotating, I have a bench setup with the ability to do quads and hams , one kettle bell some dumbbells and an elliptical. I always fill into my booklet I have what I did for that day kinda to hold myself accountable and not skip days , I'm a big guy I'm trying to drop 60lbs before Oct. I know this is doable if I go about it right. Sometimes I feel like doing the same workouts is not helping me. I've been hitting this sheet for bench, doing some kettlebell work and then 20 mins on the elliptical with varied intensity and resistance
If anyone knows more than me please share or help me out with some programs I can do with what I have, I'm definetly gonna be hiking some hills with my pack weighted and non , I need to get some more dumbbells , I'm already a stout guy I don't want to bulk up muscle just wanna lose body fat and stay strong. I haven't drank any pop in over 2 months I don't eat sugar I avoid carbs and starchy foods "for the most part" and my blood work is fantastic the doctor said I'm gonna be 33 in May and still way over weight. It seems like my body needs to be worked out every day or I'll gain weight any tips or programs would be much appreciated I just need to keep grinding through the summer here's the weight sheet I've been working off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230325_120458_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230325_120458_Gallery.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 44
Looks like you are crushing it. From one big to another (also trying to drop about 60) we can't out lift/run our fork or pints. If your primary goal is weight loss it's 80% diet. 15 years ago I lost about 100 pounds and kept it off by eating clean. Slipped up over the past few years and trying to get back.

The exercise is key to keep from losing too much muscle but isn't going to be a silver bullet to dropping fat. Best thing you can do is figure out your metabolic rate and cut about 500 calories per day beneath it. Log everything you eat in an app so you know exactly how many calories you intake. I think fixation on carbs vs protein is a bit overblown for weight loss (more important for muscle gain) but protein is known to help you feel full longer. 60 pounds by October is for sure doable if you stick to it.

OP
Bighunt531
Looks like you are crushing it. From one big to another (also trying to drop about 60) we can't out lift/run our fork or pints. If your primary goal is weight loss it's 80% diet. 15 years ago I lost about 100 pounds and kept it off by eating clean. Slipped up over the past few years and trying to get back.

The exercise is key to keep from losing too much muscle but isn't going to be a silver bullet to dropping fat. Best thing you can do is figure out your metabolic rate and cut about 500 calories per day beneath it. Log everything you eat in an app so you know exactly how many calories you intake. I think fixation on carbs vs protein is a bit overblown for weight loss (more important for muscle gain) but protein is known to help you feel full longer. 60 pounds by October is for sure doable if you stick to it.
I'm gonna truly try my best brother , working 12 hour swing shift nights and days sure doesent make it any easier

It doesn't. My trick is to be very consistent and eat the same breakfast and lunch everyday. I screw up if I skip breakfast and get too hungry. It's hard but you can 100% do it. Keep yourself in calorie deficit and every minute you work out you dropping weight.

sacklunch

WKR
Diet is for weightloss. Cardio and lifting programs aren't. Cardio is for just that, the cardiovascular system. If you're a huberman fan, look at his stuff on IF and berberine...talk to your doctor about ways to monitor blood glucose regulation. Sounds like you're killing it in the gym...I'd focus on the diet. See if a 6-7 hr feeding window works for you. That's the easiest way for me to drop weight. I throw in a few 24-36 fasts each month to further help reset insulin sensitivity. Works for me anyhow...

OP
Bighunt531
Diet is for weightloss. Cardio and lifting programs aren't. Cardio is for just that, the cardiovascular system. If you're a huberman fan, look at his stuff on IF and berberine...talk to your doctor about ways to monitor blood glucose regulation. Sounds like you're killing it in the gym...I'd focus on the diet. See if a 6-7 hr feeding window works for you. That's the easiest way for me to drop weight. I throw in a few 24-36 fasts each month to further help reset insulin sensitivity. Works for me anyhow...
Never heard of huberman I'll have to look into them, I'm trying to lose some serious weight I'm a big guy I'm like NFL lineman big proportioned like that I have a belly but I also am big everywhere thighs 20 inch calves I'm just big all around I want to be a smaller person in general basically to make hunting less hard on my heart, joints body as a whole and to live longer, I'm gonna keep going only so long before I wear shit out. I don't care about bulk I just wanna stay strong and trim the fat

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions vary, but here's mine: you really need to get on a program, especially as you get older. Just "putting in the time" doesn't actually get you there, you can spend a lot of time for little results. I've lately been on the Tactical Barbell system but I wouldn't recommend it for rookies, it's pretty hard to make sense of. MTN Tough seems popular here. There are a million different plans, the main thing is to pick one and stick with it.

2-3 days a week on a strength program, 2-3 days a week on cardio, and some stretching is the sweet spot for me. If you haven't done it, a dead-simple weights plan like starting strength or greyskull LP will get you stronger fast. For cardio, if you just run twice a week for 30 minutes you'll make progress (you can get on a plan for this too, but most people are so bad at it that just doing it regularly will be fine).

Weight is diet more than exercise (sorry).

Last edited:
I'm certainly not built as big as you but I dropped about 60-70 lbs about two to three years ago and have kept it off. I figured out what worked for me and would be happy to share if you're interested. I do think there is some flex and nuance in how you approach it but the ONE thing I am 100% dogmatic about is that weight loss (body fat loss) is 95% diet. You figure out the food stuff and you'll drop the weight. Let me know if you want me to go down the rabbit hole.

Yoder

WKR
I'm down 30 lbs. Need to lose another 30. What helped me was eating less, intermittent fasting and circuit training workouts. I'll setup 3 or four different exercises and go from one to the next with no rest. I used to lift, wait to recover then lift again. Now I work different muscle groups so there is no need to rest. You can get a full body workout faster and it helps with cardio too.

ryan_watson

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, I've been doing a pretty similar routine all winter, I lift weights one day then cardio the next rotating, I have a bench setup with the ability to do quads and hams , one kettle bell some dumbbells and an elliptical. I always fill into my booklet I have what I did for that day kinda to hold myself accountable and not skip days , I'm a big guy I'm trying to drop 60lbs before Oct. I know this is doable if I go about it right. Sometimes I feel like doing the same workouts is not helping me. I've been hitting this sheet for bench, doing some kettlebell work and then 20 mins on the elliptical with varied intensity and resistance
If anyone knows more than me please share or help me out with some programs I can do with what I have, I'm definetly gonna be hiking some hills with my pack weighted and non , I need to get some more dumbbells , I'm already a stout guy I don't want to bulk up muscle just wanna lose body fat and stay strong. I haven't drank any pop in over 2 months I don't eat sugar I avoid carbs and starchy foods "for the most part" and my blood work is fantastic the doctor said I'm gonna be 33 in May and still way over weight. It seems like my body needs to be worked out every day or I'll gain weight any tips or programs would be much appreciated I just need to keep grinding through the summer here's the weight sheet I've been working off.
Not to solicit but I do feel we offer something that directly answers your question, we build MTNTOUGH specifically for hunters. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll just leave our link here for our programs. https://mtntough.com/pages/mtntough-programs

*zap*

WKR
for fat loss you need to get your diet straight and establish a baseline of low intensity steady state exercise done almost every day...if you do that liss fasted all the better. Establish a correct nutrition plan and baseline liss cardio and then accept that you will loose 1# a week. If your strength training correctly and your nutrition is providing the building blocks you need you may not loose that much but you may convert the weight to lean muscle mass over time...
I see guys at the gym that do circuit training with little rest between exercises.....they look trim and muscular but they are not very strong at all.

Accepting that good things take time and consistency is necessary have worked well for hundreds of years in fitness applications.

Easylife

FNG
I know this is going to sound crazy, but try and work in some yoga. Get some heavy sweat pants and a heavy hoodie. You are going to sweat alot, your heart rate will increase, and you will be breathing heavy. Your flexibility will increase and that will also help in your weight training. Try and get 45 - 60 minutes in. I use to tease my wife about doing yoga and she bet me I could not get through 1 workout with her. I thought I was in good shape but unfortunately I lost the bet. I was determined to make it through a workout with her and have added yoga into my weekly routine. I know I am replying kinda late to the post but just joined the forum. Keep working and you will surpass your goals.

Sherman

WKR
Look at my carnivore thread and also into an HST style full body workout 3 days a week and cardio in between. I was 274lbs 5 weeks ago and today I weighed 243 and ran a mile on the treadmill at 7mph. I am 42 years old. Haven’t felt this good since I was in the military, almost 20 years ago. You can do it, brochacho!!! 5 weeks in and I’m down 31lbs and have more energy and feel better than I have in decades. I have a 100 day goal for the carnivore diet, but at this point can’t imagine going back to what I was before.