7prc just slayed the 6.8 Western

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
At the cost of longer action, more weight, and more recoil. There are plenty of rounds that outdo the 7prc in every way given same penalties

Lou
Lou, with all due respect, the 7 PRC is a sweet spot for performance/recoil, it has a shortened case and a bit less powder than the 7 rem although just a bit more recoil. I have found that longer cartridges feed more reliably from a mag than short fatties. I'd be interested to know which cartridges "outdo the 7prc in every way given the same penalties". Jim

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I think the 7prc is a great round. It is just not any more great than several others. Any of the bigger cases outdo the 7prc, the 28N for ex. Or 30nos not too mention RUMs and fast 338s. Hornady “markets” bigger cases away as over-bore or ineffiecient or you can only use old bullets. That is crap. The 7-08 is more efficient than 7prc. So what. You can shoot 175 ablr in these not to mention all but the 195 berger in factory guise without doing anything custom. If I were building a long action 7mm for killing elk at long range it would be a 28 nosler. Why settle for less. That is one perspective. Again, this is all at cost of recoil, weight, etc…. But that is no different than choosing a 6.8 or 6.5 instead of 7prc. Depends what you are willing to put up with

The 7 prc has similar recoil to a 300 mag shooting 180s at 3000 fps. No magic there. The 7 has higher bc, the 30s can have more weight and always more frontal area. In any case 300 mag level of recoil is not a sweet spot and more than most folks like. The 6.8W is similar to 7rm or 30-06. Still hefty but not terrible and generally considered about max for most folks. The 6.5 prc is more like a 270 which can be sharp for some but not normally considered bad. The 6.5cm is a pussy cat and that is why it is supremely popular

Lou

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I think the 7prc is a great round. It is just not any more great than several others. Any of the bigger cases outdo the 7prc, the 28N for ex. Or 30nos not too mention RUMs and fast 338s. Hornady “markets” bigger cases away as over-bore or ineffiecient or you can only use old bullets. That is crap. The 7-08 is more efficient than 7prc. So what. You can shoot 175 ablr in these not to mention all but the 195 berger in factory guise without doing anything custom. If I were building a long action 7mm for killing elk at long range it would be a 28 nosler. Why settle for less. That is one perspective. Again, this is all at cost of recoil, weight, etc…. But that is no different than choosing a 6.8 or 6.5 instead of 7prc. Depends what you are willing to put up with

The 7 prc has similar recoil to a 300 mag shooting 180s at 3000 fps. No magic there. The 7 has higher bc, the 30s can have more weight and always more frontal area. In any case 300 mag level of recoil is not a sweet spot and more than most folks like. The 6.8W is similar to 7rm or 30-06. Still hefty but not terrible and generally considered about max for most folks. The 6.5 prc is more like a 270 which can be sharp for some but not normally considered bad. The 6.5cm is a pussy cat and that is why it is supremely popular

Lou
Lou, I don't disagree but, the 7prc has less recoil than the 300wm as the propellent is part of the recoil equation, the 7 prc max, 175 gr bullet, 64 grains of H4831, the 300 wm is 72 gr of same powder (load data for 190 bullet, that's the quick find available). All magic aside, the prc has less recoil than the wm, all things equal.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady data shows you get 3000 fps with 66-68 gr of powder with 175s out of 7prc. Nosler 300 win mag data shows 180s get about 2950-2960 fps with 66-67 gr of powder which matches most 300 Win Mag factory velocity so that is comparison. The difference is with the 300 Win Mag you can keep going and add up to 80gr powder and get those 180s going nearly 3200 fps with some loads. In that case the 300 Win Mag will kick more, but since factory loads are held to 2960fps and most people think that is a lot of recoil that is what we should compare. What this also shows is all of the recently released rounds are loaded to hilt. Some of the older rounds are obviously loaded to lower pressures

Lou

@GAHunterJim your last few posts echo what I've come to understand with the 7 PRC. I consider myself below a novice when it comes to firearms talk, but I put hundreds of hours of research into major purchases like rifles so I've been following the 7 PRC threads closely. I'm shopping for a rifle for my wife as primarily a moose rifle that will be used for other animals no larger than a moose. It just seems like this is the perfect sweet spot for primary use on large game (elk, moose) where a person is trying to somewhat manage recoil and where you may be in a position where you need to stretch out beyond 200-300 yards. I also plan to turn it into my sheep rifle. It is plenty capable of reaching WAY beyond my capabilities (the rifle will be great to grow with as I look to get into long rang classes) and the heavier loads are more capable of dumping a grizzly if needed while maintaining its reach as compared to something like a 6.5 (currently carry a 7.08 as my mountain rifle). The 7mm PRC seems to hit a perfect little sweet spot for what I need/want.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
So you're saying the 7 prc gets near 300wm performance with less recoil then?
I am saying the 7prc will have similar velocity and recoil as a factory 300 Win Mag load but with higher BC bullets. A very very good efficient cartridge just not low recoil. The 6.8W is more similar to 7mm Rem Mag recoil / velocity wise. Lots of folks chose 7rm over lighter recoiling 270 and heavier recoiling 300 which is why there is room for 6.8W between 6.5 and 7 prc. Point is does not have to be one or other.

Lou

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
In all the punlished data I have found, the 6.8 Western has more recoil than the 7 PRC
Hornady pulled off a miracle! Seriously the 7prc is a more powerful cartridge. Heavier bullets, more powder, more recoil. No free lunch. Not a ton of difference as the 6.8W is not a mild cartridge either. The 7prc is 34-3500 ft-lbs ME the 6.8W is around 31-3200 ft-lbs. 6.5 prc is about 27-2800ft-lbs. I wonder if Hornady would not have done a short action 7 prc if Win didn’t drop the 6.8W first. From online posts of folks inquiring Hornady about loading 6.8W they seem pretty bitter about something

Lou

gerry35

WKR
I would have had interest in the 7 PRC except Hornady caught caught doing this:

:

You can find their original letter still that was leaked by employees and take a look at the pinned comment at the top of the video I posted. It's unforgiveable for a company to try something like that.

My wife and I have paid a heavy price the last 14 months for our stand here in Canada, every time I see a Hornady product I can't bring myself to buy it. I feel bad for their employees and hope they get new ownership and upper management.

Everyone can make their own decision on what they want to buy or not buy. I picked the 6.8 Western because I like the 277 cal better than 7mm and have lots of bullets already. The 6.8 Western will have less recoil, burn less powder while still coming close to the performance of the bigger 7 PRC.

The other troubling thing to me is what appears to be industry collusion with Hornady and I wonder if they "encouraged" other manufacturers to not support Winchester/Browning in order to push their own round.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Ohhh so now the 270 is beats out the 7mm rm?!?!!? And by the way, I dont own a 284 of any kind!! Lets see where we are in a couple years and see if the 6.8 is more popular than the 7 prc

Gerry:

I respect your ability to make choices based on your convictions; but I'll just point out that it is possible to shoot a 7 PRC without supporting Hornady. Plenty of .284 bullets available, and there's already aftermarket brass available for it. Likewise, other companies have already announced that they are/will be loading for it.

Not sure I agree with your collusion assertion. Certainly there's industry alliances, but the how popular these cartridges will ultimately be will be a product of continued consumer interest, not parent company support. How many companies are willing to support a product for which sales are minimal?

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
@Balderdash I expect the 7 PRC to be more popular but there still is plenty of room for a fast twist 277 like the 6.8 Western. I find it to be a better balanced round but that of course is subjective to what you're looking for. I'm looking forward to loading 150's with 55ish gr of 4350 class powder at 270 Win speeds for my wife to shoot but still be able to push those 170's at 2900+ fps where it will shine. Yes you are correct that there are other choices than Hornady for this round. I wish I could tell the Hornady family what I think of them personally but sadly I'm not allowed to set foot in your fine country without the clot shot.

Great news is one day all this insanity will be over and I do believe the best days are still to come!

@Balderdash I expect the 7 PRC to be more popular but there still is plenty of room for a fast twist 277 like the 6.8 Western. I find it to be a better balanced round but that of course is subjective to what you're looking for. I'm looking forward to loading 150's with 55ish gr of 4350 class powder at 270 Win speeds for my wife to shoot but still be able to push those 170's at 2900+ fps where it will shine. Yes you are correct that there are other choices than Hornady for this round. I wish I could tell the Hornady family what I think of them personally but sadly I'm not allowed to set foot in your fine country without the clot shot.

Great news is one day all this insanity will be over and I do believe the best days are still to come!
I hope you are right on people finally getting past the COVID. The whole coordinated response was designed to be divisive. It's a shame that more couldn't see it for the hyperbolic fear mongering, power usurpation it was.

Plenty of well intentioned people out there who were trying to do the right thing but were making choices based on bad and manipulative information. Now that more and more information is getting out, it's upsetting to me that those responsible for deliberate disinformation aren't being held accountable.

gerry35

WKR
I see the 7 PRC and the "new" 300 WM, the 6.5 PRC is an improved 270 Win and the 6.8 Western duplicates or exceeds the 7mm RM. Talking about the traditional loads for each of the older rounds. Nothing wrong with them either and they can all be loaded with slippery bullets of course which muddies the waters.

bmart2622

WKR
Tons of good options, the Prcs, 6.8, 7mmrm, 280 ai....all stone cold killers. A guys got good options for do all western guns depending on what they like best and are comfortable with