7mm Elk Bullet

SDC

Lil-Rokslider
That's why I always liked the A-frames......no matter what angle shot I took, I knew that over 90% of that bullet was getting to or through the vitals.

Exactly my rationale with using a TTSX.

Firehawk

WKR
160 Nosler Accubonds have performed really well out of my 7 mag. Sons 7-08 performed well with 140 Accubonds on his first elk.

nsedillo

FNG
Just switched to accubond long ranges after usin partitions and accubonds. according to nosler ballistics, this new projectile is forever a game changer. If you're interested dissect the nosler website and check it for yourself, I'll load the last of my partitions and accubonds, but once they are gone, only ABLR out of my 7 rem mags.

With that in mind I would reccomend either the 168gr or the 175gr, can't go wrong with either, but I would toward the 175gr for bull elk. More KO power.

Last edited:

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Been using a 154 gr sst since 07 and killed many Bulls from 10 yds to 512... And been very happy how it shoots out of tikka...as noted place it accordingly and you will have a dead bull.

I run the same setup and have taken Elk from various angles. I also use the same round for deer with mostly pass through results.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how much better an SST will hold together than the Berger. An Interbond will stay together better than an SST from what I've read. On the other hand I have plenty of proof that a 160 Accubond will anchor bulls from 15 yards to 537 yards out of a 7WSM. That is my go to bullet and rifle combo now for elk and a few other species.

bkondeff

FNG
Issues, if any, with Bergers are that they may not properly expand, not that they may not make it to the vitals. Same issue can be found with TSX. Accubonds may not make it through. Now all of these are the "rare" exception, and not the rule. I myself stick to Berger due to ballistics, and fact that my gun loves them as well. My 168VLD's have done great. They make a mess in terms of making "lung Jelly", but it oddly enough does not ruin that much meat. Worst meat damage I've ever seen was a 150lb hog shot lengthwise from the back end with a TSX from a 300WM. Had to toss the whole pig basically.

Like others said, if you are happy and have all you need for Berger Classics, go shoot them and get ready for season. Don't be afraid to aim through bone, if anything it's better with a berger.

All that said, I would stop you from using Accubonds, TSX's, Partitions, A-Frames, Etc., but they won't fly as well if you wish to and are good enough to reach a little farther.

gmajor

WKR
I was hoping to get some 140 grain nosler ballistic tips to practice with and shoot the accubonds when hunting. But I don't reload yet (sadly), and I don't think there is a manufacturer that loads both 140 grain NBTs and Accubonds. My partitions grouped well, but I'm hoping the accubonds are a touch tighter. If not I may try barnes 120 grain ttsx.

blinddog2

FNG
Last season WY, shot a 6x6 at 376 yards on the run with 7mm shooting 160gr. Sierra Game King Boat talils #1920 - put him down hard.
I reload and shoot quite a bit - you need to find a round that works best for your riffle - but wont go wrong with 160 grain. We target shoot out to 800+ yards with them and have no issues. Will be using that load again this year, cant wait.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know who has 160 7mm accubonds in stock or when Nosler will be making more?
I don't want to have to work up a new load but if I need to, I had better get started.

bates

WKR
I killed my first bull with a 160g Partition out of a 7wsm, went bang flop, high shoulder shot, blew through the bull and caught the lower area just under the spine. very small exit hole per the partition, my father in law has killed probably 20 bulls with the same bullet out of a 7mm mag, it definitely works but I personally don't like the tip, im picky and hate it when the get bent up, 2nd I prefer a higher bc bullet.

I went on to shoot a bunch of deer with the 7wsm with both 160g accubonds and 180g bergers, all worked flawless, the 180g berger is a hammer and I was very impressed with it. I later switched it up and killed some deer and elk with the 140g berger out of a 260, the terminal performance of that combo left me wanting more

I am now in the process of building a 280 Ackley mtn rifle, and I am going to run the 150g Nosler Accubond LR's in that rifle.

I have ran a bunch of numbers and it seems to the a happy medium in that gun,

xXlojackXx

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Matrix 190gr VLD out of my 7mm Dakota. More energy at 1000 yards than a .44 mag point blank with 280gr slugs. Its a hammer.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
160 gr handloaded accubond for me. Lots of deer and elk harvested with them.