Favorite hand loads 7mm rem mag and 300wsm for elk

Need a little elk advice. I've hunted elk in the past mostly archery. I'm trying elk rifle this year and have a bullet/load question. I have 2 great rifles I can bring . One 7mm rem mag Bergara Wilderness Ridge and one 300 wsm Browning x bolt . I have them loaded with 162 eldx for the 7 and 178 eldx for the 300 . Dropped a nice mulie at 365 yards a couple year ago with the 300 eldx . He didn't go 20 yards. Elk are much bigger and was wondering if I should switch to Accubonds or Barnes?

Need a little elk advice. I've hunted elk in the past mostly archery. I'm trying elk rifle this year and have a bullet/load question. I have 2 great rifles I can bring . One 7mm rem mag Bergara Wilderness Ridge and one 300 wsm Browning x bolt . I have them loaded with 162 eldx for the 7 and 178 eldx for the 300 . Dropped a nice mulie at 365 yards a couple year ago with the 300 eldx . He didn't go 20 yards. Elk are much bigger and was wondering if I should switch to Accubonds or Barnes?
I really like the 200 gr terminal ascent in my 300wm. Availability on the terminal ascent has me experimenting with the Barnes lrx. Gonna give the Hornady Cx bullet a try as well. What’s the twist rate on your 300wsm?

I really like the 200 gr terminal ascent in my 300wm. Availability on the terminal ascent has me experimenting with the Barnes lrx. Gonna give the Hornady Cx bullet a try as well. What’s the twist rate on your 300wsm?
10"

162 eldx will be plenty. I've shot elk with 140/160 accubonds, 140 barnes ttsx, federal fusion, remington corelokts and many others. Personally I like copper bullets as it doesn't bloodshot much meat.

I hunt nothing but big bulls and have been fortunate enough to have had some great tags. Unfortunately I've had less than good experience with ELDX bullets on a couple of bulls (insufficient penetration), one at 145 yds and one at 175 yds. Both recovered but not pretty. I went back to using 160 gr accubonds in 7mm and 180 gr accubonds in 300 WSM. I understand others will have had other experiences. Good luck.

166 Hammer Hunter in my 300 WSM. I went with all copper bullets in case I would only have a front shoulder shot. I wanted that solid bullet to push though. And that is exactly what happened. First shot broke the front shoulder and he went right down. 2nd shot finished him off while he was on his knees. 225 yard shot, but no pass through due to going right through the front shoulder. IMG_5007.jpegIMG_5006.jpegIMG_5158.jpegIMG_5135.jpegIMG_5102.jpeg

My son shoots 168 Accubond LR's out of his 7 mag right at 2900 fps. They are really accurate out to 800 yds on paper and he's killed a handful of deer, antelope and elk all one shot kills. Elk was broadside just under 300 yds. Double lung pass thru. Took a few steps and went down. Out of my 300 Win Mag I shoot 181 Hammer Hunters. Have killed 2 bulls both were pass thru one shot kills. 160 and 402 yds.

I shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets from my 7RM. Results on the link below since switching to them

I hunt nothing but big bulls and have been fortunate enough to have had some great tags. Unfortunately I've had less than good experience with ELDX bullets on a couple of bulls (insufficient penetration), one at 145 yds and one at 175 yds. Both recovered but not pretty. I went back to using 160 gr accubonds in 7mm and 180 gr accubonds in 300 WSM. I understand others will have had other experiences. Good luck.

My father used nothing but 160 gr. Nosler Partitions and H4831 in his 7mm Remington on everything from antelope, to deer, to elk. The 160 gr. Accubond would be fantastic also.

In my son's 300 WSM I am loading 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Either bullet works extremely well on game. Hard to beat either the Accubond or the Parititon in either cartridge. The Nosler E-tip is a heck of a bullet also if you want to shoot a mono bullet in either cartridge. Best of luck.

Here is my son with his first elk he killed with a 6mm Remington shooting a 90 gr. Nosler E-tip. One shot at 350 yards and the cow staggered about 20 yards and dropped. Bullet hit tight behind the right shoulder and exited the left shoulder and expanded nicely. The Nosler E-tips in his 6mm have been impressive on game.
1715701205712.png
Here's Jeff with another cow he shot with his 300 WSM using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. One shot at about 120 yards dropped her in her tracks.
1715701408211.png

Only one i have shot was with 200gr hornady eldx loaded to get 3000fps out of my .300wsm

First shot was a frontal inbetween the neck and front quartering shoulder, he turned broadside and i put one more in his chest and he dropped.

The first bullet was found very near the opposite tenderloin, did do some trauma to that piece of meat. The second bullet was found under the hide on opposite side of chest, totally destroyed the internal chest cavity with both those shots.

300 yard shot

I chose that bullet cause it was what my gun liked and had the handload worked up to get consistency and speed. Not gonna lie, i had the accuracy and confidence in that bullet like i was shooting at paper i could touch to put the bullet where i wanted. Maybe i was just “zoned in” but i knew where the bullet was going and knew it went there as soon as i touched the trigger.

A bullet thay shoots good makes up for a lot of ballistics mistakes.

Back