Varmint bullet for deer

🤞I’ll know tomorrow if it is a match for my rifle.

Out of the bullets I cut open, the vmax is the thinnest jacketed one, lots of lead to fragment and cause havoc inside.
It definitely expands well. I was going to try 95 gr bergers but CJ assured me the 87s were everything and more and now was he right! I also found out the guys that cull in Africa are crazy about the 87s. They shoot hundreds of deer sized and larger animals with them.

It definitely expands well. I was going to try 95 gr bergers but CJ assured me the 87s were everything and more and now was he right! I also found out the guys that cull in Africa are crazy about the 87s. They shoot hundreds of deer sized and larger animals with them.
I would imagine so! If I get the accuracy I want, my next step is water jugs just to quiet my own concerns. I know the 77gr tmk stops in the second gallon jug from a 16” 5.56 at 100 yards. If the 87gr makes it into at least the 3rd jug, and shoots sub moa, I’ll be over the moon excited to shoot a deer with them.

Also for anyone interested, I measured (only 1 sample from each box) the OAL, base to ogive, and ogive to tip. Maybe someone else will find some useful info from it for their own future endeavors.

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpeg
    IMG_3373.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 3
People do some weird chit sometimes.

Try factory loaded core locts for the critter. Or you can load up some fast fragmenting bullets and expect it to penetrate like a nosler partition.

Try factory loaded core locts for the critter. Or you can load up some fast fragmenting bullets and expect it to penetrate like a nosler partition.
First of all factory 6x45 loads don’t exist. Second of all if they did exist a core lokt doesn’t have the ballistic property’s to allow the velocity needed to expand at 500 yards which is the max range the OP was asking about. The 87 gr VMAX has proven itself up to this task on hundreds of game animals with lots of data to back it. Why even respond and make a snarky comment when you have no experience with the particular bullet and round being discussed?

Last edited:

Thank you for contributing, when I go across the states and hunt near Orlando, I’ll be sure to bring some factory 6x45 Remington corelokts.

Have 6 mm TCU contender carbine that gets carried more than any gun I own, it rides in the truck , it rides in the tractor , it pretty much goes where I go on the farm. I have a pretty good supply of the now discontinued Hornady 75 gr hollow points that I push about 2750 out af a 24in barrel. Kills everything it's pointed at, but definitely have to be picky with shots on anything bigger than a coyote. Wouldn't take a shot on a deer past 200 yards, of the dozen or so I've killed with it all have been perfect double lung shots, and all have ran off a short ways. Lungs look like jelly, jacket stays in offside hide, core leaves thumb size exit wound. Great combo for what I use it for but wouldn't consider it as a serious hunting rifle.

Back