7 PRC Velocities / FACTORY Ammo

Yeah this was my first time coming out to this specific range. Had no idea people would leave so much trash everywhere, was really disappointing to see. We picked up everything we brought in but it really needs a dedicated volunteer event to clean up. It was ridiculous.

The Hornady seemed to be more inconsistent with high and low shots due to higher variance on velocity. I’m planning on going to another range that goes out to 1000 and seeing if it’s more noticeable as I was only able to take it to 150 at this specific range.
I just picked up Garmin Xero as well. My rifle also has 22” Proof sendero barrel on Tikka action.
I have few boxes of Federal ELDx and my buddy with diff action/rifle but same 22” Sendero barrel has few boxes of Hornady ELDX. We’ll do comparison pretty soon. (I’m not sure if he has older or newer batch of H ammo)

I just picked up Garmin Xero as well. My rifle also has 22” Proof sendero barrel on Tikka action.
I have few boxes of Federal ELDx and my buddy with diff action/rifle but same 22” Sendero barrel has few boxes of Hornady ELDX. We’ll do comparison pretty soon. (I’m not sure if he has older or newer batch of H ammo)
Cool. Definitely follow up when you go shoot. I’ll try to get out soon as well and follow up with a better comparison. Just wish the ammo wasn’t so damn expensive or else I’d be happy to do a bunch of 10 round groups to compare.

TheViking

WKR
Seekins Havak Element 22” barrel + brake

Federal 175 ELDX - 2930 average 10 shots
Hornady 180 ELDM - 2780 average 25 shots
Federal 170 Terminal Ascent - 3010 average 10 shots

ELDX shot the best for me around .5 MOA, Terminal Ascent was about .62 MOA, ELDM was .75ish

Edit - probably around 50 rounds total down the tube, these will get faster.

Last edited:

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider

ELDX shot the best for me around .5 MOA, Terminal Ascent was about .62 MOA, ELDM was .75ish

Sounds like you must have gotten a good box of the Hornady ELDX before they went to a different load. I would have thought that the 180 ELDM would be a little faster than 2780.

IMG_2686.jpeg

Got some crazy bad SDs on the Hornady 175 eldx today. Shot about 60 of them total and got velocities from 2715 all the way to 2885. Had tons of stiff bolt lift too. Just totally ridiculous.

Federal is staying consistent so far but only have 2 boxes so I’m being conservative with shooting it.

At this point, I won’t trust using the Hornady stuff for hunting season just from the severe spread on velocities.

Has Hornady responded to any of this at all?

My Proof barreled 7PRC is enroute...

Yes. They've admitted they couldn't source the original, preferred powder (likely RL-26), but said the MULTIPLE other powders used meet their accuracy standards.

I.E. - sorry if you spent hundreds of dollars on demonstrably horrible "match" ammo that doesn't group and doesn't shoot the advertised velocities, but feel free to go suck a fat one.

They also paid Ron the Boomer Spooner to record a YouTube video where magically he could only source the known good lot number of early run ammo and it shot fast and grouped well.

If Sierra would come out with heavier for caliber TMKs (145ish+ 6.5?) I would never touch Hornady components again. Makes me want to switch to Berger bullets but I trust the ELD-Ms to expand more reliably at lower velocities.

Willie IV

FNG
Wonder if Hornady will make an announcement when the preferred powder is back in their products? How will we know otherwise?

TheViking

WKR

Wanted to update this. I shot a bunch more Federal ELDX today and my average was 2960, my gun is speeding up. Shot .5 MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards, haven’t reached out further yet. The Federal seems to be very consistent. This will be my elk round this year.

I have a 20” barrel and shooting the 180 match Hornady I would see as low as 2675… I’ve since switched to federal.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
The Federal ELDX velocities, at least for me, were coming in around 3000 to 3020fps. Definitely faster than the Hornady ELDX. IT was more accurate also. Today I was at the range shooting some Federal 170gr Terminal Ascent. Average velocity was 3026 for 15 rounds. I can keep .375" groups easily with it out of my rifle. I shot steel out to 750 today using a bipod and rear bag from multiple positions and had no issues at all. Really like the Federal 170gr TA. Now the 155Gr TA is another story. My rifle doesn't like it at all.

Willie IV

FNG
What rifle setup you running?

The Federal ELDX velocities, at least for me, were coming in around 3000 to 3020fps. Definitely faster than the Hornady ELDX. IT was more accurate also. Today I was at the range shooting some Federal 170gr Terminal Ascent. Average velocity was 3026 for 15 rounds. I can keep .375" groups easily with it out of my rifle. I shot steel out to 750 today using a bipod and rear bag from multiple positions and had no issues at all. Really like the Federal 170gr TA. Now the 155Gr TA is another story. My rifle doesn't like it at all.