6mm ARC Lightweight Backpacking Rifle Build

Hmmmm!! What will my next project be? I think I know now. Nice project rifle OP!! Now for Brownells to have another sale.

Thats not a personality. It's an inanimate object. That's called a defective barrel.

I’m going to disagree. It’s not uncommon for skinny, pencil like barrels to open up when hot. I’ve seen it across multiple sporter barrel rifles I own that are all shooters for short strings.

Do you think it’s the barrel warming up or just that when you fire more shots you get a better average?

Skinny barrels get hot quicker. If I want to shoot a group of 10-15 shots, I let the barrel cool 3 minutes between shots. I actually set a timer on my Apple Watch. I’m looking for 1-3 shot accuracy with a skinny barrel hunting rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m going to disagree. It’s not uncommon for skinny, pencil like barrels to open up when hot. I’ve seen it across multiple sporter barrel rifles I own that are all shooters for short strings.

Those are called “bad barrels”. The thinnest barrels made will stack rounds into their true cones nearly until they melt.

Skinny barrels get hot quicker. If I want to shoot a group of 10-15 shots, I let the barrel cool 3 minutes between shots. I actually set a timer on my Apple Watch. I’m looking for 1-3 shot accuracy with a skinny barrel hunting rifle.
Have you shot a hot 10 shot group then shot a 10 shot group letting the barrel cool every 2-3 shots like you like? I have with my “thin pencil barrels” and the results were identical. I truly think the majority of barrels shoot the same hot and cold. The group just gets bigger because it’s showing your true cone of error.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Your wrong as proven above. But its ok to have a gun with a bad barrel. Just admit to yourself its a gun with a improperly made barrel.

Hell I used to have one. I finally got rid of it.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmm!! What will my next project be? I think I know now. Nice project rifle OP!! Now for Brownells to have another sale.
MDAY15 is 15% off right now. the 6 ARC barreled action goes down to $408.

I'm looking at the Mini 223 to build the Great Value(TM) RSS. Ends up at $382. I should've bought one when they were $349 last week or week before, whenever that was.

Your wrong as proven above. But its ok to have a gun with a bad barrel. Just admit to yourself its a gun with a improperly made barrel.

Hell I used to have one. I finally got rid of it.
Damn that’s a little on the attacking side reburn. I’m sure his barrel is fine if it’s shooting 1 to 1.5 moa 5 shot groups. That’s pretty good for a howa mini.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Damn that’s a little on the attacking side reburn. I’m sure his barrel is fine if it’s shooting 1 to 1.5 moa 5 shot groups. That’s pretty good for a howa mini.

the 1.5 moa 5 shot groups is fine.

What is not acceptable is a gun that walks around when it gets hot. If the 10 shot in a row group is significantly bigger then a 2 shot and cool 5 times for a 10 shot group then the barrel is not properly stressed relieved and not functioning correctly.

The total group size is immaterial. I wasnt commenting on that. I was commenting that he has a bad barrel if the information he gave was accuarate.

If the info he gave wasnt accurate and the barrel is not bad and its shooting a 2.5 moa group then thats not really ok either.

It has to be one or the other.

Last edited:

What is not acceptable is a gun that walks around when it gets hot. If the 10 shot in a row group is significantly bigger then a 2 shot and cool 5 times for a 10 shot group then the barrel is not properly stressed relieved and not functioning correctly.

The total group size is immaterial. I wasnt commenting on that. I was commenting that he has a bad barrel if the information he gave was accuarate.

If the infor he gave wasnt accurate and the barrel is not bad and its shooting a 2.5 moa group then thats not really ok either.

It has to be one or the lother.
Sounds to me 1.5 MOA is his idea of a group opening up and to me that just sounds like as he shoots more he’s seeing his true cone. I would bet he’s never shot past 5 shots hot to actually know what his true cone looks like.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

If the infor he gave wasnt accurate and the barrel is not bad and its shooting a 2.5 moa group then thats not really ok either.

It has to be one or the lother.
Yeah I was going to make the same comment - not arguing the actual point being made, just the presentation. Lots of guys on Rokslide getting lit up over rifle stuff, with some overly direct tone that wouldn't be the norm in person. I'd personally like to see it dialed back a touch, and this particular exchange really jumped out at me, thus this post.

@Reburn I know you're just trying to eliminate bad info spread further, and it probably gets exhausting making the same points over and over. Acceptability of an issue may or may not align between you and someone else; my bottom line is the absolutism with which these topics are discussed sometimes crosses healthy discourse. But that's just my personal opinion.

Yeah I was going to make the same comment - not arguing the actual point being made, just the presentation. Lots of guys on Rokslide getting lit up over rifle stuff, with some overly direct tone that wouldn't be the norm in person. I'd personally like to see it dialed back a touch, and this particular exchange really jumped out at me, thus this post.

@Reburn I know you're just trying to eliminate bad info spread further, and it probably gets exhausting making the same points over and over. Acceptability of an issue may or may not align between you and someone else; my bottom line is the absolutism with which these topics are discussed sometimes crosses healthy discourse. But that's just my personal opinion.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Couldn’t agree more.

While I agree with you I personally dont think that I was being agressive but rather clear and concise using as few words as possible. I do respect your view on it and will edit more objectivly next time.

However,
Saying an inanimate object has a personality that must be considered before use I think both of yall will agree is silly.

And these things get repeated that its ok for hot guns to shoot outside of their group. Its tough to explain again and again that statement is factually and demonstrably wrong.

While I agree with you I personally dont think that I was being agressive but rather clear and concise using as few words as possible. I do respect your view on it and will edit more objectivly next time.

However,
Saying an inanimate object has a personality that must be considered before use I think both of yall will agree is silly.

And these things get repeated that it’s ok for hot guns to shoot outside of their group. It’s tough to explain again and again that statement is factually and demonstrably wrong.
For sure

However,

And these things get repeated that its ok for hot guns to shoot outside of their group. Its tough to explain again and again that statement is factually and demonstrably wrong.

I would have never thought someone would take saying a barrel has a “personality” literally. You sound vaxxed and triple boosted. You’re avatar is kinda gay too.