6mm arc build Howa Mini or buy complete

Which for 6mm ARC hunting rifle

• Savage Axis 2 and mod down the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

turbo406

FNG
Touched up with some paint and threw several coats of matte clear coat. Definitely happy with the outcome and WAY less glossy. Also ditched the crappy bikini scope cover.

Will hopefully make it out this weekend to put some more rounds down the barrel. Prepping some alpha brass tonight as well.

View attachment 769881View attachment 769882
What's the weight on that beaut been really wanting to set one up just like that for a pack gun

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for years, but I have never posted before. I listened to Form on the Exo podcast and since then I have spent a ridiculous amount of time familiarizing myself with the .223 and 6mm success on big game threads. Thanks to this thread I recently sold my Savage Ultralite in 300 WSM and ordered the Howa Mini barreled action (22" sporter barrel) and a Stocky's VG stock.

1. For those with a similar setup, what is the overall length of your rifle unsuppressed? Please specify barrel length.

2. I am going to have the barrel shortened so it is between 16 and 20 inches long in order to make life easier with a suppressor. What is the shortest I can go and still reliably maintain 1800 FPS between 500 and 600 yards with factory ammo? I typically hunt above 8000 feet for context. Thanks!

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for years, but I have never posted before. I listened to Form on the Exo podcast and since then I have spent a ridiculous amount of time familiarizing myself with the .223 and 6mm success on big game threads. Thanks to this thread I recently sold my Savage Ultralite in 300 WSM and ordered the Howa Mini barreled action (22" sporter barrel) and a Stocky's VG stock.

1. For those with a similar setup, what is the overall length of your rifle unsuppressed? Please specify barrel length.

2. I am going to have the barrel shortened so it is between 16 and 20 inches long in order to make life easier with a suppressor. What is the shortest I can go and still reliably maintain 1800 FPS between 500 and 600 yards with factory ammo? I typically hunt above 8000 feet for context. Thanks!
What cartridge are you shooting, I assume 6 arc? Do you know what bullet you plan to shoot or what factory ammunition you want to use yet?

Heres a chart that should be pretty applicable, then just stick the numbers in a ballistic calculator. I just pulled the chart from a quick google search, so your milage may vary. (Per @General RE LEE this is for gas guns so it’s definitely not the most accurate for your use case)

Playing with the hornady calculator and the 108eldm looks like you need 2500fps at the muzzle to be at 1850 at 600yrds (at 8000’).

IMG_9194.jpeg

Hopefully some guys will chime in with real world data on some shorter 6 ARCs. I have a 16” 6.5grendel but Its a short range build so I haven’t worried about velocities.

Last edited:
What cartridge are you shooting, I assume 6 arc? Do you know what bullet you plan to shoot or what factory ammunition you want to use yet?

Heres a chart that should be pretty applicable, then just stick the numbers in a ballistic calculator. I just pulled the chart from a quick google search, so your milage may vary.

View attachment 771094

This is a good chart but its also gas gun velocities. Bolt gun loads can be pushed harder. I'm getting 2685 FPS with a 22" barrel.

Marshfly

WKR
Hi all,

Mine is cut to 17.75" from the crown to the interface of the action. 37" overall.

Here is my chart from the Shooter app for 3500ft and 50 degrees for factory 108 ELDM that is verified with hits to 600 yards.

If I change to 8000ft DA and 50F I get 1834FPS at 600 yards.

I built this for exactly what you are looking for and achieved it.

Attachments

• IMG_5425.png
    IMG_5425.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 9
Mine is cut to 17.75" from the crown to the interface of the action. 37" overall.

Here is my chart from the Shooter app for 3500ft and 50 degrees for factory 108 ELDM that is verified with hits to 600 yards.

If I change to 8000ft DA and 50F I get 1834FPS at 600 yards.

I built this for exactly what you are looking for and achieved it.
Thanks @Marshfly! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Here is the On Target software velocity at the 600 yard target from my 22” barrel 6 ARC. I run Varget powder for temp stability but faster speeds can be achieved with Leverevolution or CFE 223 powders.IMG_1524.png

Marshfly

WKR
Oh good to know. I have been looking into that one and the Banish Backcountry. How have you liked it? Are there any big reasons why you went with the Scythe over others?
Light. Short. Reported to be just as quiet as the TBAC 7.

Those three things were what I was looking for. It actually weighs right at the same as the same length of a normal shorter barrel as verified when I compared it to a cutoff section from one of my rifles. So zero change in the feel of the rifle which is super nice.