6mm arc build Howa Mini or buy complete

Which for 6mm ARC hunting rifle

• Savage Carbon Predator ($1k used)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Savage Axis 2 and mod down the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am looking to get into a 6mm arc for both a whitetail/antelope gun but also for the occasional varmint opportunity. I'm considering the following:

-Build with a 20" Carbon Fiber Howa mini BA and chassis/Carbon fiber stock
-Mini EXCL Lite
-Savage Carbon Predator (I found a used one for $1K)
-Savage Axis 2 (cheapest option and there's a rebate)

I will be shooting suppressed mainly from deer stands but also some public land/guided hunts. I have three young boys that like to shoot and a wife that wants to hunt with us. No shots over 400yds ever. My limit is 300yds.

Marshfly

WKR
I just put this together for $800. Mini barreled action. Stockys VG2. DNZ mounts. The scope is an old Zeiss I had laying around that weighs 16 ounces to give you an idea of the bare rifle weight.

I really don’t think you can do better than that combo.
IMG_5285.jpeg

I am also looking for a 6 ARC. I think I am just going to try the Ruger American when it comes in stock locally. For $600 seems like a good start. Ill upgrade the stock eventually. My next option would be the Howa like above. I really just dont like the mag length.

Marshfly

WKR
I am also looking for a 6 ARC. I think I am just going to try the Ruger American when it comes in stock locally. For $600 seems like a good start. Ill upgrade the stock eventually. My next option would be the Howa like above. I really just dont like the mag length.
Pretty easy to upgrade the Howa to a floor plate or cut the mag shorter if that’s the issue. That will be my first mod on that rifle. I just don’t like mags to keep track of.

Marshfly

WKR
Do you know what parts you would need to change it to a floor plate?
Pretty sure this is the way to go.

I think Howa might be making one as well but it's not on the Legacy Sports website.

There's also this option for making the factory mag almost flush.

Marshfly

WKR
I’ve been thinking about a Howa mini, but haven’t found any nearby to handle. The BA from Brownells seem like a great deal.
If there's a Sportmans Warehouse near you they stock Howas. Find a short action then imagine it smaller. LOL. The thing is little. In a good way.

Or I see you are in Billings. If life brings you to Missoula soon, message me.

gtriple

WKR
@jeffhelland
I'd stick with the steel barrel. It's a budget rifle, the steel barrels are known to be accurate, they are already threaded, they are probably lighter than the carbon, and you can cut them down and/or flute them if you don't like the length. Really no reason to go with carbon on a 223 or 6arc. And this is coming from a guy who loves carbon barrels.

OP
jeffhelland
@jeffhelland
I'd stick with the steel barrel. It's a budget rifle, the steel barrels are known to be accurate, they are already threaded, they are probably lighter than the carbon, and you can cut them down and/or flute them if you don't like the length. Really no reason to go with carbon on a 223 or 6arc. And this is coming from a guy who loves carbon barrels.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
I don’t see the point in carbon barrels for hunting. They are heavier than a normal sporter or light contour barrel and cost more. You can’t cut them either.

They look cool so I guess if thats your goal, go at it.

I had the same debate. Went with the Howa mini with a steel barrel from Brownells, put it in a stockys VG2. Put a Credo HX 2.5-15x42 and a suppressor on the end. All in for right about $1500. With 5 bullets and ready to roll it weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces. With factory ammo it’s right at 1 MOA on a 10 round group. It’s a pleasure to shoot. I actually gave it to my son for his gun. Then I took it back since I liked it so much 😂

IMG_3002.jpeg

OP
jeffhelland
I’m thinking about the Oryx chassis. They have them in stock a couple places. And about $200 less than stockys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted for the howa, but I would also consider a AR build as well. You could put together one for pretty cheap if you’re handy.

Marshfly

WKR
I had the same debate. Went with the Howa mini with a steel barrel from Brownells, put it in a stockys VG2. Put a Credo HX 2.5-15x42 and a suppressor on the end. All in for right about $1500. With 5 bullets and ready to roll it weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces. With factory ammo it’s right at 1 MOA on a 10 round group. It’s a pleasure to shoot. I actually gave it to my son for his gun. Then I took it back since I liked it so much 😂

View attachment 732223
Whats that cut to and what speed do you get out of it? I really like the size of that.