6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Interesting didn’t know this existed. So if a bullet were marginally stable what would I expect to see? Keyholing at 25yds or weird things are longer ranges?

Depends on what one considers "marginal". The berger calculator calls a lot situations where nothing might seem amiss to a shooter marginally stable because they believe at those twist rates there would be a slight loss of BC.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I recently twisted on a new 20" fluted stainless cerakoted barrel onto one of my Tikka .243's. It's in a RokStok with a Maven and UM tikka rings. Has about 1,500 rounds through it and has stabilized nicely. It's shooting the 95 SST's like you wouldn't believe, which is a bullet I've used on deer and elk for 10 years now with excellent results.

Reason I bring this up, I am torn on what gun to bring with me in a few weeks to Alaska for a moose hunt. I'll be leaving the Sakos at home this season in general and will be rolling with the Tikkas. I realize that any of my guns will do the job if I get an opportunity on a legal moose. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, all of these guns shoot fantastic and are basically identical apart from chambering. I am comfortable with all of them at yardages well past my desired impact velocity on a moose. I will limit shot distances accordingly per rifle.

Option 1: Tikka .223 RokStok 20" Barrel Maven RS1.2 Shooting 77 TMK's.

Option 2: Tikka .243 20" Barrel RokStok Maven RS1.2 Shooting 95 SST's or 108 ELDM's (SST's are slightly more accurate and better down range velocity).

Option 3: Tikka .260 22" Barrel RokStok Maven RS1.2 Shooting 129 SSTs or 130 ELDM (SST's are slightly more accurate and better down range velocity).

I realize I am overthinking this and will be bringing two rifles anyway. I'm probably just posting this because I'm bored in this never ending work meeting...

Might be a game time decision for which one stays in the truck, but I wouldn't mind some opinions from some Rokslide killers. If you had to choose one for AK moose, what are you grabbing?

Interesting didn’t know this existed. So if a bullet were marginally stable what would I expect to see? Keyholing at 25yds or weird things are longer ranges?

For what it's worth, I have a slower twist .243 that seems to stabilize just fine when the calculators say "marginal."

I'm at about 5000' and have shot 90-100gr to 300-400 yards. Not copper but may be applicable for you.

I recently twisted on a new 20" fluted stainless cerakoted barrel onto one of my Tikka .243's. It's in a RokStok with a Maven and UM tikka rings. Has about 1,500 rounds through it and has stabilized nicely. It's shooting the 95 SST's like you wouldn't believe, which is a bullet I've used on deer and elk for 10 years now with excellent results.

Reason I bring this up, I am torn on what gun to bring with me in a few weeks to Alaska for a moose hunt. I'll be leaving the Sakos at home this season in general and will be rolling with the Tikkas. I realize that any of my guns will do the job if I get an opportunity on a legal moose. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, all of these guns shoot fantastic and are basically identical apart from chambering. I am comfortable with all of them at yardages well past my desired impact velocity on a moose. I will limit shot distances accordingly per rifle.

Option 1: Tikka .223 RokStok 20" Barrel Maven RS1.2 Shooting 77 TMK's.

Option 2: Tikka .243 20" Barrel RokStok Maven RS1.2 Shooting 95 SST's or 108 ELDM's (SST's are slightly more accurate and better down range velocity).

Option 3: Tikka .260 22" Barrel RokStok Maven RS1.2 Shooting 129 SSTs or 130 ELDM (SST's are slightly more accurate and better down range velocity).

I realize I am overthinking this and will be bringing two rifles anyway. I'm probably just posting this because I'm bored in this never ending work meeting...

Might be a game time decision for which one stays in the truck, but I wouldn't mind some opinions from some Rokslide killers. If you had to choose one for AK moose, what are you grabbing?
I would love to see a 95sst take down a moose. Those bullets sound so explosive, I want to see what kind of penetration and damage you'd get on a moose

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I have a slower twist .243 that seems to stabilize just fine when the calculators say "marginal."

I'm at about 5000' and have shot 90-100gr to 300-400 yards. Not copper but may be applicable for you.
Good to know. I’m going to give the 80gr a try and see what happens. I don’t see this rifle shooting past 200yds on game in my part of the state. If it does let shoot I’ll make it a varmint rifle or spin on a new barrel.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I would love to see a 95sst take down a moose. Those bullets sound so explosive, I want to see what kind of penetration and damage you'd get on a moose
There's a guy in the UK who shoots a Tikka .243 with 95 SST's on youtube. While it's Roe Deer and not moose, he has great videos to dispel the myth that these bullets "grenade on impact" and "explode on hide at high impact velocities". Most of his shots are under 50 meters, lots of times in wooded areas where the bullet has to go through small branches and bushes. What some folks would call a "recipe for disaster for SST's".

I've seen the same results on 250-350 lb white tails in northern Minnesota to the tune of over 50 dead deer with these bullets. 30 yards to past 600 yards. I have 10 elk killed with these bullets as well, 50 yards to past 600 yards. My guess is, on a moose, they will do the same thing, kill it.

z987k

WKR
For marginally stable, expect loss of BC in flight. Possibly really weird things terminally. But you shouldn't expect any key-holing.

There's a guy in the UK who shoots a Tikka .243 with 95 SST's on youtube. While it's Roe Deer and not moose, he has great videos to dispel the myth that these bullets "grenade on impact" and "explode on hide at high impact velocities". Most of his shots are under 50 meters, lots of times in wooded areas where the bullet has to go through small branches and bushes. What some folks would call a "recipe for disaster for SST's".

I've seen the same results on 250-350 lb white tails in northern Minnesota to the tune of over 50 dead deer with these bullets. 30 yards to past 600 yards. I have 10 elk killed with these bullets as well, 50 yards to past 600 yards. My guess is, on a moose, they will do the same thing, kill it.
I have the same kind of experience with the 95 sst in a 243 killed lots of deer and have personally seen lots more killed with the same bullet but 0 elk data. Good to know.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a mid sized hog at 610 yards this morning with a 6CM, 108-elite hunter hand loads pumped up pretty hot H4350, Hornady brass, Win large rifle primer, .012 off Lands
150 lb hog @ 610yds, bang flop
Muzzle velocity 3150 fps
Impact velocity 2196 fps
Impact energy 1157 ft lbs
MOA dial 8.75 moa
Sig Kilo 10k Gen2 bino’s
Tikka/Proof 24” with NX8
How do you like the sig's? Worth the 2700 bucks?

gabenzeke

WKR
So here's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm torn between a 6 cm or a 243 ai. With a 243 ai, I can run a shorter barrel and still get my goal of 3000 fps or something close. The downside is it seems I may have to try a few powders and then there's the fire forming. With the 6 cm, it seems like 4350 is THE powder. Is it worth it to +p a 6 cm to get a bit more velocity? How short can I go and still get close to 3k shooting either the 108 eldm or 112 match burners? I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for some time, and need to just decide. Also need to sell some rifles and parts to fund this project....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So here's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm torn between a 6 cm or a 243 ai. With a 243 ai, I can run a shorter barrel and still get my goal of 3000 fps or something close. The downside is it seems I may have to try a few powders and then there's the fire forming. With the 6 cm, it seems like 4350 is THE powder. Is it worth it to +p a 6 cm to get a bit more velocity? How short can I go and still get close to 3k shooting either the 108 eldm or 112 match burners? I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for some time, and need to just decide. Also need to sell some rifles and parts to fund this project....

You forgot that the 243 Ai is cool lol. I'm in the same boat as you. Im trying to figure out the same

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider

If your going to shoot factory ammo 6cm

If your going to reload 243AI
108s will do 2900-3000 in a 20” Bbl

I fire form all brass with a mild load while breaking in the barrel anyway in a few afternoons. If forming brass is a big deal I’d go 6cm and not consider wildcats.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If your going to shoot factory ammo 6cm

If your going to reload 243AI
108s will do 2900-3000 in a 20” Bbl

I fire form all brass with a mild load while breaking in the barrel anyway in a few afternoons. If forming brass is a big deal I’d go 6cm and not consider wildcats.
I ran a 105 up to 3100 fps in a 22" 6CM. The thought of sizing brass with a 40° shoulder would sway me toward the 6CM alone..

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a 105 up to 3100 fps in a 22" 6CM. The thought of sizing brass with a 40° shoulder would sway me toward the 6CM alone..
The 6cm is no slouch. I don’t notice much of a difference sizing 40* shoulders. But feeding can be less smooth in certain dbm systems.

I have a Tikka .243 with the 1-10 twist. What is everyone’s favorite bullet for deer and elk? I have been running nosler partitions, but things seem to die slow.