6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

A buddy of mine shot a Whitetail at 697 with a 6mm Creedmoor Savage 110 Tactical. He said that it was just a pin hole at that distance, but punctured both lungs and and it was found within 100 yards. He was using pretty hot hand loads at that point.

I’ve witnessed it drop deer like a sack of potatoes at 420+ so it seems like a great cartridge to me.

My wife uses a 243, and harvested her first deer with it using Norma Whitetail 100gr. She didn’t make a great shot on it, and it was down within 50 yards of the shot

Attachments

• 5B9B249A-CBD4-4A31-8AC7-FD59B13FCA9D.jpeg
    5B9B249A-CBD4-4A31-8AC7-FD59B13FCA9D.jpeg
    674.6 KB · Views: 128
A buddy of mine shot a Whitetail at 697 with a 6mm Creedmoor Savage 110 Tactical. He said that it was just a pin hole at that distance, but punctured both lungs and and it was found within 100 yards. He was using pretty hot hand loads at that point.

I’ve witnessed it drop deer like a sack of potatoes at 420+ so it seems like a great cartridge to me.

My wife uses a 243, and harvested her first deer with it using Norma Whitetail 100gr. She didn’t make a great shot on it, and it was down within 50 yards of the shot
What bullet was your buddy shooting? Seems to be the theme in all these cartridge debates it’s the wrong bullet is never the right choice. Not saying he did or didn’t use the wrong bullet, just saying that’s what I’m noticing.

What bullet was your buddy shooting? Seems to be the theme in all these cartridge debates it’s the wrong bullet is never the right choice. Not saying he did or didn’t use the wrong bullet, just saying that’s what I’m noticing.
I can’t remember for sure, I think it was ELD-X as that’s what he loads in everything for hunting, but with the ammo/component shortages, he’s shooting the Sig Elite Hunter, and those are working well

Seeknelk

WKR
I just went through ever model of .243 that shows up on the "Tikka Selector". Every single model shows a 1:8 Twist. Maybe dreams do come true.
I hope so! If they simply chamber it in 6CM instead I'd agree! I'd like to take advantage of all the factory 108 eld ammo I always see in stock. Course ,then everyone else would scarf it up!😂

I would love to hear the whole story of the hunt. Congratulations on the bear!
That was 22 years ago. Spring bear hunt on snowgos in the Talkeetna mountains with my dad before I left for the Navy. We rolled by miles of mountain ranges looking for a set of tracks that made a beeline from the top to the bottom of the mountains, finally spotted such a set near our turn around point. Another mile and we cut across them, super fresh! Made a plan to follow them for a bit until we had to turn around because of low fuel, only went a few hundred yards and caught up to him at the edge of a opening.

Killed the machines and got my gun out of the boot, he just stared at us broadside at about 100 yards off while I rested over my seat. I had a problem with my scope fogging up so I kept wiping it away with my damp hands. This took a while and my dad was getting frustrated as the bear was having a ton of patience just standing there. He was parked about 30-40 yards away from me and I don't think he could see I was having a problem with the scope. He finally hollered 'SHOOT IT!' riiiiight as I was squeezing the trigger, the sound made the bear turn and start running - as well as startling me - and I ended up cracking it right in the ass. Bear obviously didn't like that and nipped at his sore rump, I sent another as he did that into the boiler room, then another. He started moving with a purpose and was now about 200 yards off. I fired again as he angled up and that one nailed him in the jugular. He started whirling around like a dog chasing his tail sending arcs of blood out as he did so into the snow, I have a picture of that snow somewhere. I fired a last time as he did that and I am sure that one hit near his spine and he rolled about 10 feet and stopped moving.

Drove the snowgos up and parked about 10 yards away from him, the slight breeze ruffling his fur gave the look he was still breathing, and I finally got the nerve up to get a long stick and trudge through the snow to poke him in the eye. He was on his belly, so I rolled him over as best I could onto his back. The air escaping from his lungs when I did that sounded like a low growl which scared the shit out of me and I couldn't scramble away through the snow fast enough! lol. He squared at 7' 11".

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
That was 22 years ago. Spring bear hunt on snowgos in the Talkeetna mountains with my dad before I left for the Navy. We rolled by miles of mountain ranges looking for a set of tracks that made a beeline from the top to the bottom of the mountains, finally spotted such a set near our turn around point. Another mile and we cut across them, super fresh! Made a plan to follow them for a bit until we had to turn around because of low fuel, only went a few hundred yards and caught up to him at the edge of a opening.

Killed the machines and got my gun out of the boot, he just stared at us broadside at about 100 yards off while I rested over my seat. I had a problem with my scope fogging up so I kept wiping it away with my damp hands. This took a while and my dad was getting frustrated as the bear was having a ton of patience just standing there. He was parked about 30-40 yards away from me and I don't think he could see I was having a problem with the scope. He finally hollered 'SHOOT IT!' riiiiight as I was squeezing the trigger, the sound made the bear turn and start running - as well as startling me - and I ended up cracking it right in the ass. Bear obviously didn't like that and nipped at his sore rump, I sent another as he did that into the boiler room, then another. He started moving with a purpose and was now about 200 yards off. I fired again as he angled up and that one nailed him in the jugular. He started whirling around like a dog chasing his tail sending arcs of blood out as he did so into the snow, I have a picture of that snow somewhere. I fired a last time as he did that and I am sure that one hit near his spine and he rolled about 10 feet and stopped moving.

Drove the snowgos up and parked about 10 yards away from him, the slight breeze ruffling his fur gave the look he was still breathing, and I finally got the nerve up to get a long stick and trudge through the snow to poke him in the eye. He was on his belly, so I rolled him over as best I could onto his back. The air escaping from his lungs when I did that sounded like a low growl which scared the shit out of me and I couldn't scramble away through the snow fast enough! lol. He squared at 7' 11".
Awesome, thank you for sharing the story!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Two elk with 6XC and 112gr Barnes Match Burners. Both shot at about 80 yards. One partially obscured and one running. Both hits were nearly identical, back of ribs and stomach- light damage to liver. Both ran about 100 yards and laid down. Next two shots were again about 100 yards but with 115gr DTAC’s.

The Match Burners having an extremely thin jacket fragmented completely as far as we could tell with around 12” of penetration. At longer ranges, or chest they probably will do better. The DTAC’s were both near identical hits: animal facing away, shot through back and exiting the chest.

Entrance
396E0CE2-B3E2-402F-8C35-124F69997122.jpeg

Exit
8DEC29E8-2FDC-4249-AA6F-2ABE586206C5.jpeg

Entrance
2E4885FE-9904-48A7-8EDD-3712F045D21A.jpeg

Didn’t get a picture of exit wound on second elk. The 112gr MB’s need more examples, however the NoseRing DTAC’s continue to do what they have in elk, 10 so far.

I am in the process of ”rebuiding” a 6mm Remington. Many moons ago this rifle was gifted to me. I cut the barrel down from 26” to 18” and had it threaded for my can. It is a FN from Belgium action, Mauser style, so finding a stock I like has been difficult. This thread makes me happy to see folks having success with this little round.

Well we collected more data on the 243 95 grain sst today
One large doe at 55 yard through the shoulder ran about 35 yards D8B75930-E419-490D-9755-E1049FF30628.jpeg
And a button buck at 30 yards through both shoulders went 15 yards very dramatic exit wound D323AAC8-42D6-4C9B-B1D2-5A43CC01A403.jpeg
Lot of blood to trail
8A000F3B-B980-4875-850A-305A3ADEEDB3.jpeg