6 PRC with N570

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Yeah I'm at 60gr. N570 in the new barrel. It's just starting to crack and speed up a little. It started just over 3300 with the same load when the barrel was brand new
How many rounds before you saw the increase?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
How many rounds before you saw the increase?
About 30-40 rounds. 60gr. N570 is pretty violent going down that small bore haha. But it's just a hunting gun, so I don't care about the barrel life.

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
About 30-40 rounds. 60gr. N570 is pretty violent going down that small bore haha. But it's just a hunting gun, so I don't care about the barrel life.
I have 80 on mine now and haven’t seen any increase yet

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Same load from the start but 57.5 of 565.
Nice! Yeah mine sped up a little bit fairly quickly. It started just over 3300 and is now 3350. Could be a temperature thing also. I wasn't monitoring that too closely but. But all my shooting takes place in the morning.

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Nice! Yeah mine sped up a little bit fairly quickly. It started just over 3300 and is now 3350. Could be a temperature thing also. I wasn't monitoring that too closely but. But all my shooting takes place in the morning.
Temps here have been pretty consistent. I have 50 new pieces sized and ready for 570 but this gun has loved the 565 so far. I do want to see if the 570 works in this shorter barrel also.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Temps here have been pretty consistent. I have 50 new pieces sized and ready for 570 but this gun has loved the 565 so far. I do want to see if the 570 works in this shorter barrel also.
It’ll work. I don’t think barrel length does anything specific to powders. The fastest velocity producing powders in the longer barrel, produce the fastest velocities in the shorter barrels also. But it’ll be a fun test for sure!

It’ll work. I don’t think barrel length does anything specific to powders. The fastest velocity producing powders in the longer barrel, produce the fastest velocities in the shorter barrels also. But it’ll be a fun test for sure!
Hmm that isnt the case for my suppressed 17" PBB tho. 565 was 170fps faster with the same charge of 60gr, I cant even fit enough 570 in the case to hit pressure but 60.5gr 565 gave me stiff bolt lift. Im getting 3110 with 60gr of 565 but it is still speeding up i think, only 120 rounds down the barrel so far

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Hmm that isnt the case for my suppressed 17" PBB tho. 565 was 170fps faster with the same charge of 60gr, I cant even fit enough 570 in the case to hit pressure but 60.5gr 565 gave me stiff bolt lift. Im getting 3110 with 60gr of 565 but it is still speeding up i think, only 120 rounds down the barrel so far
Okay, in that instance it’s just a case capacity thing. If you’re using a bullet that you can actually reach pressure with, with a faster shooting powder, it’ll shoot faster at whatever barrel length compared to the other powders that it was faster then to begin with.

So in your case, if 565 is faster than say 4831SC, it’ll be faster at any barrel length unless you’re actually not burning all the powder.

I’m not saying N570 is the fastest no matter what. I’m saying that whatever shot the fastest at 26” with your bullet, will still shoot the fastest at 20”.

Just a generality also. I’m sure there’s a length you could cut it to where it actually can’t burn all of a certain powder, but I don’t know what that length is. It’d have to be pretty short though

Okay, in that instance it’s just a case capacity thing. If you’re using a bullet that you can actually reach pressure with, with a faster shooting powder, it’ll shoot faster at whatever barrel length compared to the other powders that it was faster then to begin with.

So in your case, if 565 is faster than say 4831SC, it’ll be faster at any barrel length unless you’re actually not burning all the powder.

I’m not saying N570 is the fastest no matter what. I’m saying that whatever shot the fastest at 26” with your bullet, will still shoot the fastest at 20”.

Just a generality also. I’m sure there’s a length you could cut it to where it actually can’t burn all of a certain powder, but I don’t know what that length is. It’d have to be pretty short though
Shooting the 109 like you, that makes sense tho. Either way, im loving this cartridge so far, especially in a rokstock 😎

What’s your coal with the 109? I hit heavy heavy bolt lift at 59 gr of n565
Its definitely shorter than @huntnful's, cause i know he has a special reamer for his and my barrel is just whatever reamer PBB uses if you select that chambering..
Im actually not sure what the COAL is, havent measured it and im currently out of the country for another week. Its shorter than 2.9" if my memory is correct. I just usually start near the lands and dont worry about that unless it doesnt shoot well as long as it fits in the mag.

What brass are you using and what barrel/reamer? Im using ADG and i like to party so i usually load stuff pretty hot in my hunting rifles haha

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Shooting the 109 like you, that makes sense tho. Either way, im loving this cartridge so far, especially in a rokstock 😎
What’s your coal with the 109? I hit heavy heavy bolt lift at 59 gr of n565

I think 565 has almost identical burn rate to H1000, and I hit pressure at 59gr. H1000. I never did try 565 though. Just went straight to 570 since I could fit 61gr. in the case and shot it and a decent bit more velocity with it. That was in my old barrel though. This new barrel has only seen N570

I have a COAL of 3.015" which is .010 into the lands, on this current barrel

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Its definitely shorter than @huntnful's, cause i know he has a special reamer for his and my barrel is just whatever reamer PBB uses if you select that chambering..
Im actually not sure what the COAL is, havent measured it and im currently out of the country for another week. Its shorter than 2.9" if my memory is correct. I just usually start near the lands and dont worry about that unless it doesnt shoot well as long as it fits in the mag.

What brass are you using and what barrel/reamer? Im using ADG and i like to party so i usually load stuff pretty hot in my hunting rifles haha
My lands are at 2.915, my load is at 2.875. 20” barrel and im at 3100fps. I’m also using adg. You have a good barrel! That’s sweet your getting that speed.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR

Hahaha yeah I'd bet if you dropped down to below any pressure signs with the 565, and then loaded up 61gr. N570, it'd probably shoot faster than the 565. But of course, if you're going go into pressure, your velocities start to increase exponentially with added powder. So if you like to party and have a full case of 565 and she's smoking fast with ejector marks and flat primers, that's just a personal choice. I know I've done it on occasion haha. But I don't like to anymore.

I think 565 has almost identical burn rate to H1000, and I hit pressure at 59gr. H1000. I never did try 565 though. Just went straight to 570 since I could fit 61gr. in the case and shot it and a decent bit more velocity with it. That was in my old barrel though. This new barrel has only seen N570

Yeah thats a long sucker lol, im jealous. But then again, my gun is shooting great and im happy with the velocity for the barrel length so why fix what aint broke

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU

I was thinking about throating mine to your length but mine is shooting good as of now

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Yeah thats a long sucker lol, im jealous. But then again, my gun is shooting great and im happy with the velocity for the barrel length so why fix what aint broke
Completely Agree!!

I was thinking about throating mine to your length but mine is shooting good as of now
My first 6 PRC was .070 shorter freebore and the 108's still shot excellent. But then I wanted my own reamer, so I figured I'd make it specifically for the 108's to sit ideally in the neck. So the 108's sit perfect at a COAL of 2.955 when .020 off the lands.

THEN i found the 109's and started shooting them for the added BC, which made my coal longer, but they still shoot excellent when seated at 2.980 in a standard mag. That puts them only .025 off the lands.

Hahaha yeah I'd bet if you dropped down to below any pressure signs with the 565, and then loaded up 61gr. N570, it'd probably shoot faster than the 565. But of course, if you're going go into pressure, your velocities start to increase exponentially with added powder. So if you like to party and have a full case of 565 and she's smoking fast with ejector marks and flat primers, that's just a personal choice. I know I've done it on occasion haha. But I don't like to anymore.
Yeah that also makes sense man. I only had 2lbs of 570 and 3lbs of h1000 and have like 12+lbs of both 565 and RL26 so that definitely factored into my choice as well. I saw you starting out well with 570 so I gave it a shot too initially. The primers arent as flat as other loads I've ran in other rifles at 60gr but they did flatten at 60.5gr lol.. 60gr gives me no heavy bolt lift in 85° temps so I doubt I'll do any more tinkering before i take it elk hunting this season. It'll be much colder by then so I'm assuming I'll be fine pressure wise.

Also im using br2 primers, the federal magnums always give me a bit more pressure and velocity it seems but for some reason my ES is always worse too. Bonus to that is I probably have 11k br2's and only 2k of the fed primers 😅