6.5CM for open country and comp

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking get or build(ish) a new rifle. I'm looking for a factory or easily upgraded package under $1000
The rifle will be left handed, so please keep that in mind.

My main purpose for it is Pronghorn and a competition here and there.

I considered .243 but I've seen alot more 6.5CM ammo on shelves.

The 2 options I'm looking at right now:

Ruger American Predator 6.5CM
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock with adjustable comb

Or

Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5CM

Other options I see out there are Savage 110 Tactical and the 110 Magpul Hunter(although I'm a little hesitant on the 18" barrel)

I know the Bergara is a Rem 700 pattern with that large aftermarket but I'm not really that much of a tinkerer so I'm not that concerned with it.

A suppressor could be in my future but not to begin with.

The Ruger in a Boyds is going to be heavy. The Bergara comes heavy and their quality has been hit or miss lately. They used to be a solid option, but it seems that with the increasing in offerings and production, the quality is lacking.

As for being hesitant on the 18" barrel, if you want to suppress it at any point, then it is almost a given that the barrel will have to be 20" or less unless you like carrying a telephone pole around with you. The 6.5C will give you the all the velocity you need for 99% of the hunting population to practical hunting distances. With a 143 grain Hornady ELD-X at 2600 (which is achievable in an 18" barrel), you are at or above 1800 fps to 600 yards. Do you plan on taking hunting shots longer than that?

To be completely honest with you, I would buy a Tikka T3x Lite for $679 (plus $13.95 shipping) from Europtic, have the barrel chopped to 19" and threaded with a collar ($150, plus shipping both ways) and put it in a Stocky's VG stock (or wait for the Rokstock) (You should be able to get that for around $400 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday) and then go kill lots of stuff. That puts you a couple hundred $s more than your stated budget, but you have a much superior shooting platform than any of the options you listed.

Everybody on Rokslide (including me) is going to say get a tikka T3x lite, stainless option if you want it.

6.5 creed is capable of of killing all North American game and good ammo is everywhere.

Trigger doesn’t need upgrading but you can put a $10 spring it it if you want. Unknown Munitions scope rings and a vertical grip to start. A KRG bravo stock or the upcoming Stockys Rokstock if want to upgrade down the road

You mentioned competing, 6.5cm will be legal for NRL hunter power factor and that is an excellent sport to get involved in. .243 or other 6mm are great too but not legal for NRL hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left handed tikka and upgrade over time. Invest in a solid optic and you’ll be pretty much set. Euro optic has good deals on the tikkas

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3x SL in 308. It's fantastic as a light mtn rifle but the fluted barrel gets too hot too quick for competition.

Is the Lite significantly better in that respect?

Macintosh

WKR
Do they make the 18” CTR in a lefty version? For antelope, the occasional match, and a suppressor I feel like that in 6.5cm is by far the easy-button.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Let me also add that any of these rifles exceed my current skill and abilities. I'm not even a 1 moa shooter right now.
The Ruger in a Boyds is going to be heavy. The Bergara comes heavy and their quality has been hit or miss lately. They used to be a solid option, but it seems that with the increasing in offerings and production, the quality is lacking.

As for being hesitant on the 18" barrel, if you want to suppress it at any point, then it is almost a given that the barrel will have to be 20" or less unless you like carrying a telephone pole around with you. The 6.5C will give you the all the velocity you need for 99% of the hunting population to practical hunting distances. With a 143 grain Hornady ELD-X at 2600 (which is achievable in an 18" barrel), you are at or above 1800 fps to 600 yards. Do you plan on taking hunting shots longer than that?

To be completely honest with you, I would buy a Tikka T3x Lite for $679 (plus $13.95 shipping) from Europtic, have the barrel chopped to 19" and threaded with a collar ($150, plus shipping both ways) and put it in a Stocky's VG stock (or wait for the Rokstock) (You should be able to get that for around $400 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday) and then go kill lots of stuff. That puts you a couple hundred $s more than your stated budget, but you have a much superior shooting platform than any of the other options

To be completely honest with you, I would buy a Tikka T3x Lite for $679 (plus $13.95 shipping) from Europtic, have the barrel chopped to 19" and threaded with a collar ($150, plus shipping both ways) and put it in a Stocky's VG stock (or wait for the Rokstock) (You should be able to get that for around $400 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday) and then go kill lots of stuff. That puts you a couple hundred $s more than your stated budget, but you have a much superior shooting platform than any of the options you listed.
If my math and the weight figures I've found online are correct, the Ruger would be about 8.6-9lbs with the Boyd's before adding an optic. That seems like a good compromise between a hunting rifle and a comp rifle. Am I mistaken?

I have a Tikka T3x SL in 308. It's fantastic as a light mtn rifle but the fluted barrel gets too hot too quick for competition.

Is the Lite significantly better in that respect?

When you say "gets too hot" what do you mean? Too much mirage? It shouldn't be changing point of impact at all. If it is, I am going to have to say that either something is wrong with your setup, or it is the shooter. Tikkas don't shift.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
When you say "gets too hot" what do you mean? Too much mirage? It shouldn't be changing point of impact at all. If it is, I am going to have to say that either something is wrong with your setup, or it is the shooter. Tikkas don't shift.
It starts throwing flyers.

To be fully transparent I have not used any above average ammo yet. Just cheap federal and winchester hunting loads.

But once it gets really hot it starts throwing flyers then if I let it cool, everything tightens back up.

All at 100yds

PNWGATOR

WKR
Tikka T3x in 6.5CM is the easy button.

There should be zero issue with POA/POI changes in shooting this rifle with a cold or hot barrel. Simply not an issue with any barrel that’s properly stress relieved. Fire away.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Came here to say buy tikka. For sure go 6.5 creed--its perfect for your two intented uses.

I could be happy with the savage 110 also. Ive seen a couple of them shoot amazing. Just slightly more aftermarket support for all things tikka

The lower end bergaras have not impressed me at all

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Check for 6 creedmoor ammo. I think it is growing as .243 fades.

Otherwise, 6.5 is awesome.

Savage is an adaptable rifle system. A Rem 700 platform is even more adaptable.

IMO, get a basic Bergara or other clone that feels good. If you get a bad barrel, which is unlikely by the odds, you can get a prefit.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure if you were talking $1k all in (scope too). Happened to see these are in sale at cabelas/ bass pro. They are shooters. Proof barrel, blueprinted action, etc. On sale for a little over your budget, but seeing what Proof barrels go for, they are a steal currently.
Think the southpaw versions are in 308 and 6.5 CM

My sample of three of the these that I have seen and shot is they are very good rifles. They suffer from the some limitations of design, but the quality is solid.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider

TaperPin

WKR
Even if you don’t tinker the availability of inexpensive barrels - both retired competition, factory take off, and brand new - for the Remington and Savage would put them at the top of my list.

As much as I like Remingtons, there’s no argument that bang for the buck its very hard to beat Savage. Yesterday the used rack at Cabelas had two older used 110 savages in great shape for $250 ea. I wanted to buy them both just for the actions - a $100 retired benchrest barrel and it’s a homely $350 1/2 moa gun even with crappy stock and crappy trigger.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a new savage with the tiny firing pin spring, but that’s just me.

It starts throwing flyers.

To be fully transparent I have not used any above average ammo yet. Just cheap federal and winchester hunting loads.

But once it gets really hot it starts throwing flyers then if I let it cool, everything tightens back up.

All at 100yds

I can almost guarantee it isn't the Tikka. In my experience, it is the shooter that starts "throwing flyers" in these situations, especially with heavier recoiling rifles. The "letting the barrel cool" also lets the shooter take a breather and get back into the game, which is why the big flyers go away after that.
I am not implying that the .308 is a hard recoiler, but it is when compared to a .223 or a 6.5 Creed, especially in a lightweight rifle.

Try this with the .308. Take 20 rounds. Shoot one. Count to 60 after the shot, while staying on the gun. Shoot again. Repeat. Yes, it will take 20+ minutes to shoot and the barrel will get super hot, but I bet that the number of flyers goes down significantly and/or you will be able to call the flyers (i.e. know when it is you).

Spend ~$150 more and get a weatherby vanguard talon. Comes with a peak44 carbon fiber stock already, and is a fantastic action.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Spend ~$150 more and get a weatherby vanguard talon. Comes with a peak44 carbon fiber stock already, and is a fantastic action.

There is no left hand Vanguard