6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 140 ELDM for Bull Elk

wweaver

FNG
So you prefer a smaller wound channel with the 140 AB over the 140 ELD-M?
Yes. Penetration is what kills a big bull BOTH lungs have to be punched. Because when you have a close shot on quartering to elk it will reliably break the shoulder and continue on. I would not count on a eld m to do that. Iam still not sure why everyone is so caught up with shooting elk with 6.5 creedmoors at long range on elk. Again this is my option. Just returned from archery elk in NM and again just a slow arrow killed a big bull within two minutes or so. So everyone treated rifle shots like archery shots we would not to have this discussion and creedmoors and elk, but people do not.

lak2004

WKR
Yes. Penetration is what kills a big bull BOTH lungs have to be punched. Because when you have a close shot on quartering to elk it will reliably break the shoulder and continue on. I would not count on a eld m to do that. Iam still not sure why everyone is so caught up with shooting elk with 6.5 creedmoors at long range on elk. Again this is my option. Just returned from archery elk in NM and again just a slow arrow killed a big bull within two minutes or so. So everyone treated rifle shots like archery shots we would not to have this discussion and creedmoors and elk, but people do not.
I don't think anyone said anything about long range. A 140gr eldm is effective on elk period. I would be comfortable taking a 600 yd shot with a 140gr eldm in my gun. Why? Because I know I can shoot that far consistently after PRACTICING it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I can't say that I'm fond of the 6.5CM, however, it is naive to claim that a 140 ELD-M wouldn't be able to penetrate enough on an elk from any angle that is fit for hunting. Such a statement only makes me assume that you haven't seen many elk being shot with this bullet.

wweaver

FNG
I can't say that I'm fond of the 6.5CM, however, it is naive to claim that a 140 ELD-M wouldn't be able to penetrate enough on an elk from any angle that is fit for hunting. Such a statement only makes me assume that you haven't seen many elk being shot with this bullet.
Nope not one with a 140 eld m and an elk. I probably will not in my lifetime either unless by chance. What I have done is been a part or killed myself is 20 elk killed with various weapons and unless it’s a necessity to use a creedmoor and it’s your only rifle or have had shoulder surgery I would not do it. Again my opinion and that’s with forum is for, opinions. I have two creedmoors myself, I do not have a thing against them. Anything will work if it’s a perfect broadside shot or a slight angle.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
BOTH lungs have to be punched.
Well, that is simply not true. I've taken, elk with only one lung hit. Punching both lungs is my first choice, but sometimes shots present themselves where only one lung is an option. The toughness of elk is vastly overrated.

Well, that is simply not true. I've taken, elk with only one lung hit. Punching both lungs is my first choice, but sometimes shots present themselves where only one lung is an option. The toughness of elk is vastly overrated.

How long was the tracking job south a 1 lung hit?

I’ve shot whitetail and only got one lung and chased them for hours. I can’t imagine it would be even worse on an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
How long was the tracking job south a 1 lung hit?
No tracking. I shot him far back in the liver, the bullet angled forward through the offside lung and was recovered under the scapula. The bull went down in his tracks and never got up. It was actually the fastest kill I've ever had on a bull. 7-08 wtih a 150 Ballistic tip. Bullet traveled through approx 32" of elk.

But again, I'd always rather have a broadside shot and punch both lungs, which a Creedmoor will do handily with a decent bullet.

Last edited:
I shot a bull last year with a 6.5 eldx at 350 yards. Elk was bedded broadside, put three rounds in him, bullets fragmented violently and turned the heart and lungs into jello. Just after the third shot, he got up and started stumbling. Shot one more time and hit him in the elbow. Bull dropped and stayed down. That shot failed to penetrate the bone. In hindsight, 1st shot assuredly killed him, but I didn't want to risk it. Eldm is similar enough I doubt there would be any difference on performance all other factors being the same.

In short, broadside/quartering away I wouldn't hesitate with a 140 eldm. Less ideal shots beyond 200 yards or so, I would wait for a better shot.

A friend shot a bull with one of mine at 300 yards. 140 ELD M. Both were under the hide on the opposite side, one broke the shoulder just above the knuckle on the way in.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I started shooting 140 ELDM’s out of my Tikka and have killed 3 bulls now in the last couple of years, as well as multiple deer. Furthest shot was 505yds, with the next two at 420 and 370 respectively. The furthest shot in particular was a one shot deal, while the others I shot until it wasn’t standing, though it was dead after the first shot on both. The 140 performs just fine on elk. I know plenty of guys who shoot big .30’s and almost all practice less than 300 rounds a year and are far worse shooters than I. And I’m still a fairly low skilled shooter in the big picture but I learned that picking a calibre that will allow you to shoot enough to become proficient on demand is more important than anything when it comes to killing stuff.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
My son and nephew both shot elk with the 143 eldx and 140 eld-m. 180 to 330 yds. 3 and 4 shots later the elk were down. We moved up to 7 mags for both young men and had one shot kills last year. 160 grain Accubonds. Have since switched the Creedmoors to 140 Accubonds as well. The LR style bullets went in, fragmented and did not penetrate deep enough on our hunts. They worked well on antelope but still make a bloodshot mess when hitting bones. We won't shoot our little Creeds at elk anymore but if we did the Accubonds would be in it. Be good for cow elk under 400 yds. We love the Creeds for antelope and blacktail deer. They are tack drivers and are great for 100 to 250 lb animals. Good luck! Shoot them in the ribs. Avoid bone, and keep sending em out there. Big mature bull isn't going down easy.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Gadjet! Do you know what bullet? I’m seeing a lot of eldx, Berger otms, vlds, etc, and other Match bullet like eldms. I have about 500 rounds of 140 eldms, and they are great in my Remington. If they are as good as the other, I assume hunt with them, s as I’m comfortable with and the Hornady 4DOF app.
Both 143ELDX and 129SST. Think about it, one of the most popular go to calibers for big game hunting including elk used to be a 270 Winchester using something like a 130 grain projectile. Is the 6.5 Creed the best elk caliber out there? Absolutely not! But it will definitely get the job done.

My 14yr old shot his bull last week at 360 yards with the 140eld, 20 inch tikka 6.5cm. 2650mv. 1st shot was low and forward in the chest and just nicked the lungs. Luckily, the shot was suppressed, so the bull didnt bolt, just paced back and forth a bit, until my son could get off a clean 2nd shot. broke the front shoulder and the bull dropped.

OP
N
My 14yr old shot his bull last week at 360 yards with the 140eld, 20 inch tikka 6.5cm. 2650mv. 1st shot was low and forward in the chest and just nicked the lungs. Luckily, the shot was suppressed, so the bull didnt bolt, just paced back and forth a bit, until my son could get off a clean 2nd shot. broke the front shoulder and the bull dropped.
Thanks for the info. Was he using a eldx or ELDM?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Dude… Please don’t. Bull Elk are legitimately “tough” and not always easy to kill. They deserve our respect and for us to use appropriate calibers and bullets. IMO, 308 30-06, 7 REM mag and the like should be minimum with good bullets that will hold together.

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistently.
Cause my .308 shooting a bullet that is 7/10 grains heavier is going to kill the elk deader? Lots of fellas shooting 150 grn. No as long as he is getting adequate velocities to cause bullet disruption and makes a good shot I think he is just fine with the 6.5 which if I’m not mistaken that bullet will disrupt within his specified ranges