6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 140 ELDM for Bull Elk

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
No tracking. I shot him far back in the liver, the bullet angled forward through the offside lung and was recovered under the scapula. The bull went down in his tracks and never got up. It was actually the fastest kill I've ever had on a bull. 7-08 wtih a 150 Ballistic tip. Bullet traveled through approx 32" of elk.

But again, I'd always rather have a broadside shot and punch both lungs, which a Creedmoor will do handily with a decent bullet.
I believe I've seen pics of that bull.... nice job Brad

Good morning fellas. I am taking my 6.5 CM to Colorado for 2nd rifle this year. I’ve read a decent amount concerning match grade bullets being used for elk successfully and consistently. I’m wondering if this bullet is up to the task? If so, what about max effective range on elk, and what shots would one avoid? With all due respect, I don’t care to hear any suggestions about using something bigger, or 30 cal this or that. This is my rifle, and if I happen to see a legal bull elk, I will be attempting to harvest him with this gun. BTW, Remington 700 SPS AACSD with 22” 8 twist. Competent to 5-600 yards under ideal circumstances. Don’t think I’d attempt any further, and only that range with near perfect conditions. Thank you for your input. Bill
Umm yeah no if your gonna hunt with a smaller caliber you had definitely better use a good expanding hunting style bullet . Why take one of the most difficult hunts and toughest animals and handcuff yourself with inadequate equipment that you have complete control over. Hell even the manufacturers of most match grade bullets including Hornady don't recommend them for use on game.

lak2004

WKR
Umm yeah no if your gonna hunt with a smaller caliber you had definitely better use a good expanding hunting style bullet . Why take one of the most difficult hunts and toughest animals and handcuff yourself with inadequate equipment that you have complete control over. Hell even the manufacturers of most match grade bullets including Hornady don't recommend them for use on game.
Flat out wrong here. Proof is in the pudding but you do you.

Can you quantify "inadequate?" Do you have personal experience with the inadequacy?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

Just like scopes… people are still lost on how bullets work.

Educate yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bjt307

FNG
I have used a creedmoor and 147 Eldms from 50-800 yards on elk and have killed them all with no issues. That being said you have to put the bullet where it’s going to kill and that is no different than any other caliber. The pic is from my 2023 bull at 800 yards with a rifle built by Wilderness Custom Rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 85

lsummey

FNG
Dude… Please don’t. Bull Elk are legitimately “tough” and not always easy to kill. They deserve our respect and for us to use appropriate calibers and bullets. IMO, 308 30-06, 7 REM mag and the like should be minimum with good bullets that will hold together.

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistently.
100% AGREED Please stop hunting Elk with a 6.5 Have some respect for the Animal!

fmyth

WKR
Dude… Please don’t. Bull Elk are legitimately “tough” and not always easy to kill. They deserve our respect and for us to use appropriate calibers and bullets. IMO, 308 30-06, 7 REM mag and the like should be minimum with good bullets that will hold together.

There’s a reason that many outfitters have forbidden the Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk. It’s a target round, not even intended to be a hunting round. I have no issue with guys shooting them at Deer, but Elk are not Mule Deer. They’re many times more difficult to kill cleanly and consistently.
What makes you qualified to tell us what is or is not an "appropriate caliber and bullet" to kill elk? Please provide a list of these outfitters that "have forbidden Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk". I'd like to avoid spending any of my hard earned dollars with such ignorant business owners.

lsummey

FNG
What makes you qualified to tell us what is or is not an "appropriate caliber and bullet" to kill elk? Please provide a list of these outfitters that "have forbidden Creed for hunters coming to hunt elk". I'd like to avoid spending any of my hard earned dollars with such ignorant business owners.
LOL Common F$#king sense.......................................

prm

WKR
LOL Common F$#king sense.......................................

Once you have shot elk with a 6.5 and also with larger bullets you will observe that the wound channels are nearly indistinguishable and this will inform your common sense.

Last edited:

lsummey

FNG
Once you have shot elk with a 6.5 and larger bullets you will observe that the wound channels are nearly indistinguishable and this will inform your common sense.
It's true you can't fix STUPID!

100% AGREED Please stop hunting Elk with a 6.5 Have some respect for the Animal!

This was already linked in the thread but I thought I would bring it back for you. A fair amount of "common sense" is contained therein.

By the way, do you have any evidence of all the elk you have been stacking with more respectable cartridges?

lsummey

FNG