6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Eiden

Lil-Rokslider
Son took his first mule deer this year. One frontal shot at 150 yards and it dropped in its tracks. Bullet penetrated all the way through the diagram. Chest cavity was destroyed. Sorry. It was late with no photos.

Gun is a Tikka 695 6.5creed shooting 123 ELDM.

IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son took his first mule deer this year. One frontal shot at 150 yards and it dropped in its tracks. Bullet penetrated all the way through the diagram. Chest cavity was destroyed. Sorry. It was late with no photos.

View attachment 767187
View attachment 767188

Congrats to him, and the proud dad!

View attachment 767187
View attachment 767188

Outstanding and congrats to you both. Memories for a lifetime.

West2East

FNG
*IF* the 147 ELDM is going to grenade on a shoulder, how close/how fast is that behavior normally seen. I've decided to use it in my wife's upcoming elk hunt where shots can be from 15yds to 500. My ideal shot is behind the shoulder but I've had bulls walk up to me quartering to at 15-20 yds and, in the past, with a 30cal bonded bullet, I've never thought twice about putting it into the front edge of the shoulder.
Would you think twice with the 147 eldm at that range? Other than the meat devastation?

Thanks

*IF* the 147 ELDM is going to grenade on a shoulder, how close/how fast is that behavior normally seen. I've decided to use it in my wife's upcoming elk hunt where shots can be from 15yds to 500. My ideal shot is behind the shoulder but I've had bulls walk up to me quartering to at 15-20 yds and, in the past, with a 30cal bonded bullet, I've never thought twice about putting it into the front edge of the shoulder.
Would you think twice with the 147 eldm at that range? Other than the meat devastation?

Thanks

I shot a critter last year at about 35 yards, broadside, and accidentally put a 147 ELD-M right into the shoulder. The path of destruction through both shoulders was devastating. Essentially, a total loss of both fronts.

It was at a fast trot and I lead it a little more than I should have. Bullets arrive quick at that range.

Based on that experience, I would have no concerns about the shot you described, other than meat loss. Death is imminent.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks
While I have no experience on elk, I have shot multiple deer this year most being sub 60 yards and a couple that have been around 350-400. I have yet to see an Eldm explode even if placed in the middle of the shoulder.

BjornF16

WKR
Shot a black bear with the 140 ELD-M from CM at 200 yards. Went through both shoulders (through onside scapula, through offside shoulder joint) and caught 50% of bullet weight just under the hide.

147 will do fine

West2East

FNG
Thanks for the replies. That is what I thought but there always seems to be one person saying they grenade at short range and I wanted to ask that specific question.

Thanks

what's her muzzle velocity?

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks

Not an issue to worry about.