6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

JGRaider

WKR
That looked like a placement issue and being over gunned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a client/hunter of ours, and I guess it depends on what your definition of over-gunned is. I personally don't use 7mags for antelope, but lots of people do. The point I was making is high velocity impacts, especially on bone like this example, can make a mess of things with frangible bullets. It's quite obvious. The bullet clipped the bottom of the spine.
Not sure about your experience but mine over 53 years is that your shots don't always go exactly where you want them to. I like bullets that not only perform as designed when things go right, but also when things don't go exactly as planned. SST's don't seem nearly as dependable as ballistic tips IMO/IME.

ianpadron

WKR
Tikka chambered in .260
129 Grain SST
540 Yards

Dime sized entrance, quarter sized exit. I found chunks of lung 30 yards behind him. The deer didn’t take a single step. 232 lbs on the scale, with the guts and vitals removed in the field. Big northern minnesota deer up here.

Here’s what’s left of his heart.

View attachment 622435

View attachment 622436
Most under-rated bullet for moderate velocity 6.5s imho. Devastating terminal results basically guaranteed, good shootin'

Wife and one of the kids got a chance to test out the 130 TMK last night. Shots were only about 75-80 yards. Results were, well, great. A couple more does for the freezer.

Hard to argued with blood trails that look like this.

69a20956fa6f272e0c35a6c66c6b3f3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
That was a client/hunter of ours, and I guess it depends on what your definition of over-gunned is. I personally don't use 7mags for antelope, but lots of people do. The point I was making is high velocity impacts, especially on bone like this example, can make a mess of things with frangible bullets. It's quite obvious. The bullet clipped the bottom of the spine.
Not sure about your experience but mine over 53 years is that your shots don't always go exactly where you want them to. I like bullets that not only perform as designed when things go right, but also when things don't go exactly as planned. SST's don't seem nearly as dependable as ballistic tips IMO/IME.
I agree, it was a one time occurrence but I had an SST where I hit a bull elk square in the shoulder at 125 and it just didn’t get any penetration.

Here’s a 143 ELDX recovered from a quartering away antelope doe this past weekend. Impact velocity ~2050, soft ball entrance breaking multiple ribs and obviously didn’t exit, lodged under front shoulder hide.

1699405434509.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

I don’t base my opinion on a bullets performance on a missed shot.