6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

I’ve killed multiple deer and elk using them as close as 30 yards. Zero issues.

I've used them and been happy with their performance.
I once shot a buck at 80 yards with a 7mm SST going 3000 fps and hit spine. It exploded on impact leaving about an 8" hole, and I was picking pieces of lead out of what remained of the back straps.

They work, just don't shoot the spine point blank at extreme velocities lol.

I personally have the same experiences as you two. But for some reason there have been numerous people that complain about what i mentioned in my other post.

I like the SSTs and think that they are an underrated hunting bullet by most of the community.

I used the SSTs exclusively in my 7-08 until Nosler sucked me in with their marketing on the Accubond (was a bit dumber in my youth :) ). I have changed to the standard Nosler BTs, but am using the 154 grain SSTs in my 7-08AI. I also have just found a great shooting combo using the 140 grain SSTs in my 6.5C, and I am going to try to take a couple of WV whitetails with that gun this year.

fwafwow

WKR
I have quite a few boxes of SST for my 25-06 and 30-06. Can anyone comment on the bullet construction in comparison to TMKs or ELD-M/X?

I have quite a few boxes of SST for my 25-06 and 30-06. Can anyone comment on the bullet construction in comparison to TMKs or ELD-M/X?
Should be very similar construction of cup and core with a pretty thin jacket. I believe the sst has an interlock ring and a tapered jacket like the eldx. The biggest difference is that the sst will have a lower bc at similar weights than an eld/tmk. The eldx is basically an sst eldm hybrid.

JGRaider

WKR
I used the SSTs exclusively in my 7-08 until Nosler sucked me in with their marketing on the Accubond (was a bit dumber in my youth :) ). I have changed to the standard Nosler BTs, but am using the 154 grain SSTs in my 7-08AI. I also have just found a great shooting combo using the 140 grain SSTs in my 6.5C, and I am going to try to take a couple of WV whitetails with that gun this year.
At 7-08 and 6.5CM speeds, the SST should be fine, as will most any other bullet. The SST is way to fragile at higher impact speeds IME.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
At 7-08 and 6.5CM speeds, the SST should be fine, as will most any other bullet. The SST is way to fragile at higher impact speeds IME.

The SSTs I shoot leave my 22” Tikka .260 barrel at 2830ish FPS. I’ve killed probably 45-50 deer and elk under 50 yards with that bullet at that speed. Longest “tracking” job so far was 150 yards. What about the SST, in your experience, has made it “too fragile”?

How many big game animals have you killed at close range with the SST at higher speeds? Curious to see if there is a speed “threshold” where they become less lethal.

The SSTs I shoot leave my 22” Tikka .260 barrel at 2830ish FPS. I’ve killed probably 45-50 deer and elk under 50 yards with that bullet at that speed. Longest “tracking” job so far was 150 yards. What about the SST, in your experience, has made it “too fragile”?

How many big game animals have you killed at close range with the SST at higher speeds? Curious to see if there is a speed “threshold” where they become less lethal.
My dad shot a cow elk @530 yds last year w a 30-06 165gr sst. It penciled badly. Had to send a second one if I remember correctly. I forget mv probably 2700ish

Shot an antelope w a 270 150gr sst @ 328 yds and the devastation was excessive

Limited data set but maybe keep the sst above 2000 fps? 🤷

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My dad shot a cow elk @530 yds last year w a 30-06 165gr sst. It penciled badly. Had to send a second one if I remember correctly. I forget mv probably 2700ish

Shot an antelope w a 270 150gr sst @ 328 yds and the devastation was excessive

Limited data set but maybe keep the sst above 2000 fps? 🤷

I do prefer the ELDX and M over the SST in general… I just have yet for the SST to let me down from very close to very long ranges.

I do prefer the ELDX and M over the SST in general… I just have yet for the SST to let me down from very close to very long ranges.
Yeah me too.. I've definitely gone through a caliber conversion since those kills 🤣. Match bullets are the way! SSTs are good but I'm leery of their performance now

robtattoo

WKR
I just bought a new 6.5x55 tikka because the dealer could not move it and since I am a reloader it just makes sense. I am still working my way through this thread.
However, should I be looking at 130 class or 140 class bullets with this cartridge? It’s a 1-8 twist. I’v got Lapua brass and dies on the way. But, I’d like to order some bullets in the next couple of days if possible.
130gr TMKs or 140gr Eld-Ms. Whichever you can find first/cheapest.

IMR7828ssc starting at 49gr & working your way up. Load to 20 thou off the lands. Should be pushing around 2750-2850fps & works incredibly well!

JGRaider

WKR

Look at my post #719 on the previous page and you'll get your answer. Lethal wasn't the problem, grenade like performance was.

Look at my post #719 on the previous page and you'll get your answer. Lethal wasn't the problem, grenade like performance was.

I don’t have any experience with the 129gr SST on game but the 123 out of a Grendel is the perfect deer cartridge. MV of 2450 has that bullet doing everything it needs to within 300 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I don’t have any experience with the 129gr SST on game but the 123 out of a Grendel is the perfect deer cartridge. MV of 2450 has that bullet doing everything it needs to within 300 yards.

Just for everyone who may not know
The 123 was made specifically for the Grendel and Grendel velocities

amassi

WKR

That looked like a placement issue and being over gunned

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Here’s another one from a 129 SST from tonight. Double lung and basically nothing really left of them.

Heres the entrance and inside view of entrance…

IMG_5440.jpeg
IMG_5444.jpeg

Heres the exit and inside exit view.

IMG_5448.jpeg
IMG_5449.jpeg

The deer went 10 yards and collapsed. Yes I still have some trimming and cleaning to do.