6.5 CM for a once in a lifetime Oryx hunt. Give it to me straight

mt100gr.

WKR
No one has suggested a .224 cal 77gr TMK yet!! (The .223 thread was mentioned) ....I've heard they work on moose!?!

How does an Oryx shoulder compare to an "elk shoulder"? Serious question.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a rifle that you have confidence in. My 6.5 CM CTR would kill an Oryx without issue. Yours will too.

LightFoot

WKR
If you had to ask….
You know the answer.

I shot my Oryx with a 340 Wby at 70 yards, 225 Accubond. Double lung and lodged on far shoulder. I would not gamble a OIL hunt on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

But hey, I’m just an internet warrior like the rest of ‘em.

I hope to read your report on what you decide and how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mojave

WKR
I have killed 3 with a 308. A good bullet shot through the shoulders or spine and they will die. Shoot them in the neck and miss and they will run 20 miles.

I also have oryx within 40 yards of my house a couple of times a week.

Sled

WKR
I have killed 3 with a 308. A good bullet shot through the shoulders or spine and they will die. Shoot them in the neck and miss and they will run 20 miles.

I also have oryx within 40 yards of my house a couple of times a week.

Great link. With that in mind I'd like a hard hitting bonded or copper bullet.

Northpark

WKR
Sample size of one. .300wm was very appreciated by the outfitter. Only animal he was all that worried about being tough.

That being said, with todays bullets you can generally get away with less gun than you used to be able to get away with.

SDHNTR

WKR
It works fine. They are not thick skinned animals. Just use a tough, mono or bonded bullet and shoot it right.
Uhh what? I’ve killed dozens of species of big game animals. I’ve never seen thicker hide than on an Oryx.

I’ve also had the same tag on the WSMR. I’d go 30 cal personally.

leoni1

FNG
Never hunted oryx, but 6.5cm (which I have a couple of) wouldn’t be my first choice.

That said, a stout bonded, mono, or partition-style bullet plays a much bigger role than the headstamp. Stay away from soft bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
Uhh what? I’ve killed dozens of species of big game animals. I’ve never seen thicker hide than on an Oryx.

I’ve also had the same tag on the WSMR. I’d go 30 cal personally.
I've killed 2 and seen 2 others killed. The bullet choice and placement matters much more than the caliber, IMO.

They are definitely strong-willed critters, and I'd plan to shoot one 2-3 times regardless of caliber. So personally, I'd take the largest caliber that I can comfortably shoot and get another 1-2 shots off before the animal moves.

I'd also use a bullet that is going to pass through to create a blood trail.

Best of luck with the awesome hunt!

Sled

WKR
I dont get all the bonded/mono bullet comments. Do people really think a small hole in one side and out the other is more lethal than a bullet that grenades in the vitals?

Look at the link posted above. There's a small target and a high probability of hitting bone.

Look at the link posted above. There's a small target and a high probability of hitting bone.
So you are saying a bullet that passes through with a small hole has less of a probability of hitting that small target as a bullet that expands and makes a wider wound channel. Right?

gtriple

WKR
I dont get all the bonded/mono bullet comments. Do people really think a small hole in one side and out the other is more lethal than a bullet that grenades in the vitals?
I wouldn't shoot a grenade just for the sake of the meat. It is my favorite game meat.
So you are saying a bullet that passes through with a small hole has less of a probability of hitting that small target as a bullet that expands and makes a wider wound channel. Right?
Yes. The guys that hunt African game a lot highly recommend mono or bonded bullets.

Go look at the anatomy of them their vitals vitals are further forward than we are used to here typically in the US. I have shot one and my son has shot 1. My sons was hit through both shoulders 165 grain acubond from 308 at 150 yds. Did not exit hung up in offside shoulder bone. Kept trying to get up and scoot only made it about 50 yds. Mine was at 90 yds 30-06 and had full penetration with 180 grain partition. You're going to be shooting through a lot more meat then you would normally see on most North American animals and they are much more much heavier boned. If it were me I'd be going for something heavier and or faster. Especially since you're going to be taking longer shots typically on that hunt compared to what we were doing.

I wouldn't shoot a grenade just for the sake of the meat. It is my favorite game meat.

Yes. The guys that hunt African game a lot highly recommend mono or bonded bullets.

For the sake of the meat is fine but its but its not a reason to say a smaller caliber expanding bullet is not efficient. As far as your second comment can you say for certain that its not just history ignoring the science of modern expanding bullets?

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
You asked for opinions, here's mine.

I've had my OIL on the Missile Range. I used a 300Win Mag. It was a 285 yard shot, and a good shot and he went down in sight, so with my three allowed helpers it only took us one trip off the side of the mountain to get to the truck. My youngest son shot a bull with a .30-06, again one shot and easy to find. My oldest son shot his with a .270. His initial shot was longer, required about a mile of tracking, and another killing shot. I've also accompanied 3 other hunters with their OIL hunts. One broke a spine and required a killing shot with a .270. The other two were one shot kills, both using my .300 and handloaded 180 Nosler partitions.

As mentioned above, their vitals are in a different place than North American game. They are very low and very far forward. If you haven't been on the missile range you can't fathom how much ground there is. Think 50 miles wide by 150 miles long. They can run a long way when wounded, and ethically you have to follow them. My recommendation is you break their shoulder, both of them if possible, and if your bullet is strong enough maybe you'll hit a vital too. Study the material Game and Fish sends you to change your thinking about where to hold.

So for me I would never recommend anything less that a .30 caliber, but that's just me. I have friends who have killed them both on and off the missile range with a 6.5CM, so it certainly can be done. But why go into a OIL hunt handicapped from the start? My suggestion to you would be to pick a .30 caliber gun that you can feel comfortable with and learn to shoot it well from as many positions as possible. If you asked me, I would suggest a .300Win Short Mag. And use a gel pad on your shoulder for the range days so you can put enough shots through the gun to feel comfortable with it. Also, the mesquite and other desert plants out there will likely not allow you to get a prone shot, you're going to be shooting off a tripod, or your backpack, or some other item that will allow you to stand for the shot.

Congrats on drawing a hard to draw hunt, and enjoy every minute of it. Chances are you won't get there again unless a buddy invites you along to help.

gtriple

WKR
For the sake of the meat is fine but its but its not a reason to say a smaller caliber expanding bullet is not efficient. As far as your second comment can you say for certain that its not just history ignoring the science of modern expanding bullets?
I'm not really sure what history and "modern expanding bullets" has to do with it. There's nothing more "modern" than the modern monolithic bullets.

All I can base off of is my results. I'd rather have a 6.5CM with monos than a 30 cal with anything more fragile than a fully bonded bullet. But, like I said above, I'd take the largest caliber that I can comfortably shoot and make quick follow up shots with. Maybe that's a 6.5MB, maybe a 300WM, or maybe a 338LM. That's up to the shooter.