6.5 CM for a once in a lifetime Oryx hunt. Give it to me straight

Brettk

FNG
I’ve read hundreds of post on taking Elk/Oryx with a 6.5 CM. Seems like everyone is on one side of the fence or the other. I got lucky and drew an Oryx tag in NM for April 23’.

I’ve got a Tikka CTR 6.5 shooting 142 gr Accubonds Long Range. The guns a tack driver.

I’ve got plenty of time before the hunt and I’m mulling the decision to get a .300 win mag. I used to have a .338 win mag back in the day and I hated the recoil and sold it. The Tikka is a dream to shoot. Thoughts?

JGRaider

WKR
Put the right bullet, in the right spot on that oryx, and it will die quickly. I've never killed anything with the LRAB so can't comment on that, but I'm guessing it will work perfectly. No need for the 300WM, IMO. Good luck and congrats in drawing a great tag.

Sled

WKR
I'm a fan of the Creedmoor but I think I'd opt for a little more velocity for an oryx.

Edit: disregard I was thinking of a thicker animal.

gtriple

WKR
It works fine. They are not thick skinned animals. Just use a tough, mono or bonded bullet and shoot it right.

I’ve never shot an Oryx but I do know they are larger and heavier bone structure than say a whitetail and maybe a mule deer.

While the Creed would probably do fine with a well placed shot at a reasonable distance, if this is truly a “once in a lifetime” hunt, I would take the 300 Win Mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jimss

WKR
I would definitely go with a 30 cal. The lung area on oryx are between the front legs and they are fairly large and super tough animals. Believe me, they can take a pounding. I have a 300 wsm that I use for all North America game. Check out the drop at 300+ yards of of 140 grain creedmore vs a 150 grain 300 WSM! That tells a lot.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I used the 300 Win Mag.
Just know that the shot may be waaay out there
on a large, TOUGH critter.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmm.. "Once in a LIfetime".... Once in a lifetime doesn't equal 6.5 Creed to me...You got one chance just ask Eminem LOL.

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it?
Or just let it slip? Yo!

If I had a once in a lifetime for a critter I would be bringing pepper not sugar.-WW

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
How many guys have killed them that are giving out all this advice? Unless you’ve put a couple of them down, how would anyone have any idea about this subject. I’ve killed 4, hit and lost 1. I’ve also been along on 4 others for reference.

If you are very recoil sensitive, and can’t shoot a bigger caliber, then shoot the CM, but I’d keep range very short. I’d take a 308 or 30-06, or bigger. That’s the same advice an African PH would give as well, BTW

OXN939

WKR
I’ve read hundreds of post on taking Elk/Oryx with a 6.5 CM. Seems like everyone is on one side of the fence or the other. I got lucky and drew an Oryx tag in NM for April 23’.

I’ve got a Tikka CTR 6.5 shooting 142 gr Accubonds Long Range. The guns a tack driver.

I’ve got plenty of time before the hunt and I’m mulling the decision to get a .300 win mag. I used to have a .338 win mag back in the day and I hated the recoil and sold it. The Tikka is a dream to shoot. Thoughts?

6.5 CM will get it done, but doesn't leave a lot of room for assurance. Nilgai and Oryx are comparable, and I've killed two Nilgai bulls with 168 grain TSXs from a .30-06. Less recoil than the magnums, but plenty of punch to get something like Oryx done with a quality copper mono.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Read through this thread with an open mind, then come back here and tell us how your 6.5CM isn't enough gun:

I’ve launched a few LRAB in 7mm. They were soft. Like really soft. That bullet wouldn’t be my choice in a 6.5.

But I don’t have a better suggestion. The 143 ELDX seems pretty dang soft as well.

So….due my lack of knowing a tough, heavy for caliber, slickery bullet in 6.5. I’d vote no. But what do I know. Not sure I’ve even ever seen an Oryx. And no doubt someone’s killed one with a patched round ball, so about any center fire rifle should be enough.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
I have listed to a couple podcasts about hunting them. They always mention how tough they are and how often they need to be shot again. 300 WM with a 215 if I ever daw a tag. A good mussel break will tame the kick right out of it, just wear hearing protection!

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk