Once In A Lifetime New Mexico Oryx.

Doghed

WKR
1643675376199.jpeg

I had been putting in for the off-range hunts for almost 10 years with no success. Last year (February '21) my hunting partner's wife drew her OIL tag on the Stallion range and had a successful hunt. I wasn't on her hunt but it looked amazing and they convinced me to switch to the OIL hunts in last years draw. I threw my hat in and drew the exact same hunt as her on my first try. Not only was I extremely lucky to draw, but I had my two hunting partners (who were on her hunt last year) joining me and are very familiar with the Stallion range. Their experience put me at ease as they walked me through everything to expect from the morning briefing to their confidence in knowing a good spot to find animals that others might not consider.
For anyone who is lucky enough to draw this or one of the other on-range hunts I recommend reading jburman's write up from his hunt last year. NM Oryx experience.

1643690969008.png

I've been reading for years how tough Oryx are to kill and that one or more follow-up shots are common. Obviously I wanted to avoid a long tracking situation and follow-up shots as best I could so I opted for a large/heavy rifle I've been training with for the past couple years. I used a 300 PRC built for long range prone shooting. It is definitely not for carrying long distances or over difficult terrain, but assuming I could gain a prone position I was comfortable and had good data out to 750+ using Hornady 225gr. ELDM factory ammo. It was a risky choice but it ended up working out.

The hunt went exactly as my guys predicted. We were released from the briefing at noon. We were glassing a good group with a handful of bulls by 12:45 and I pulled the trigger at 1:15.
We covered about a half mile on foot before we could set up. I had one guy with me with a tripod in case there wasn't a prone option, the other guy right behind calling ranges as needed, and my wife calling dope.

The shot was 568 yards prone.
He went straight down.
I was a little high and a little back. I missed the heart but got lungs and liver and the match bullet clipped a rib and a large fragment deflected up into the spine which anchored him for the few minutes he had left.

1643694428092.png

MV for the 225 in this rifle is 3000 fps.
Impact velocity at 568 is about 2300 fps.
Energy at 568 is about 2700 ft-lb.

The bullet did not exit.

1643693845094.png

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
Beautiful animal, congrats. What's the story on how they came to be in NM?
I believe a NM governor in the 1940's got the ball rolling after a trip to Africa and the introduction program went from 1969-77.
They vastly underestimated their reproductive capabilities and the effectiveness of the predators here.

Edit: It wasn't a Governor it was Dr. Hibben. Chairman of the state game commission at the time.

Last edited:

WMag338

WKR
Hell yeah! Super excited for you. Also been putting in for this tag. Haven't been fortunate enough to draw yet. Looks like an incredible hunt. Beautiful animal!

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Outstanding!
Great looking bull and very cool hunt.

I just got home from a successful off-range January hunt.
They are beautiful, strange critters that live in an unforgiving environment.

Congratulations!

On base is a very interesting hunt. They sure can take hits and keep moving. I think over 80% of the harvested Oryx take at least two shots. Congrats on knocking him down right away.

The meat is incredible. My favorite wild game meat from north america.
Didnt share as much as I usually do with friends/family.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
The meat is incredible. My favorite wild game meat from north america.
Didnt share as much as I usually do with friends/family.
We are absolutely loving it!!
I was gifted some a while back so was aware of how great it is. That was my main thought going in to the hunt. I wasn't really looking at horns as much as looking for the biggest body/most food I could get.

Luckily I had a successful archery hunt back in September so if I'm sharing meat they'll be getting elk.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
Outstanding!
Great looking bull and very cool hunt.

I just got home from a successful off-range January hunt.
They are beautiful, strange critters that live in an unforgiving environment.

Congratulations!
Wow congrats.
It can be a tough hunt for a NonRes. Did you know somebody down here who could help or get a guide?

Gemsbok/oryx are pretty safe against predators. They evolved with lions, leopards and the like so coyotes are no challenge for them and mt. lions weaker than those other old world big cats. Those horns mean business when they want them too.

Would be a fun hunt to draw some day. congrats

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Wow congrats.
It can be a tough hunt for a NonRes. Did you know somebody down here who could help or get a guide?
Going into this, I knew nobody who had ever experienced this hunt before. but damn it looked like it was right up my alley. Challenging, fun, physical, different, tough, high reward, etc

The sand is running through the proverbial hourglass for me, and there are some cool hunts that I want to do while I still can. So I threw my name in the hat and prayed for lady luck to shine down....

I have a relationship with a NM outfitter. So the experience they brought to the table was invaluable to a midwestern farm guy. Also I think getting into the outfitter draw pool upped my odds considerably.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
Going into this, I knew nobody who had ever experienced this hunt before. but damn it looked like it was right up my alley. Challenging, fun, physical, different, tough, high reward, etc

The sand is running through the proverbial hourglass for me, and there are some cool hunts that I want to do while I still can. So I threw my name in the hat and prayed for lady luck to shine down....

I have a relationship with a NM outfitter. So the experience they brought to the table was invaluable to a midwestern farm guy. Also I think getting into the outfitter draw pool upped my odds considerably.
Nice!
I love it.