410 maximum shot size

I’ve been using a single shot 410 with #9 tss the last few tears for turkey. That said, I have seen quite a few hogs and a couple coyotes out turkey hunting and wanted to see if anyone had any information or guidance on the largest size TSS I can get away with in my 410 with a fairly tight choke- definitely don’t want to blow myself up.

I may just need to use my 12 gauge or pick up a 20 but really don’t want to. These would be very short distance opportunity shots- I’m thinking #4 or #6 TSS might work but wouldn’t mind larger shot.

The areas I hunt also don’t allow any other weapons to be used during turkey season (can’t kill pigs with a sidearm)

Yes, I know it might not pattern with my turkey load, and is not optimal. It’s more just to have a spare big game shell or two if the opportunity arose.

Last edited:

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Federal & a couple other companies made defensive .410 ammo for revolvers like The Judge. It had disc's, and some buck shot.

But have no clue about them in hunting situations.

Several companies also have buck shot options with 3-4 pellets depending on buck shot size.

Largest .410 TSS I've seen is #7TSS.

Lastly, I have a 2-1/2 only lever action Winchester 9410 that I wanted to hunt geese with. No manufacturer made a 2-1/2 inch TSS #4 and I searched high & low until I thought about just reloading it myself. Never did because I patterned my .410 & the shot string was so open, I'd have to be basically standing next to the goose to properly kill it.

So I’ve seen pigs get killed with 9tss out of a 20… get in close and dome one with the 410. I bet it works

dtrkyman

WKR
You can load your own TSS by hand, getting into it is not too expensive and it is kind of fun, I started loading my own for turkey well before it was commercially available.

Buy shot from Hal Abbot, super18tungstenshot is his site, he will give you load recipes when you buy shot, even has starter kits now, for hogs you are going to want a size one or so.

OP
Ferrulewax
You can load your own TSS by hand, getting into it is not too expensive and it is kind of fun, I started loading my own for turkey well before it was commercially available.

Buy shot from Hal Abbot, super18tungstenshot is his site, he will give you load recipes when you buy shot, even has starter kits now, for hogs you are going to want a size one or so.
This was my plan, I just don’t want to load a pipe bomb. I’ve heard hard shot in larger sizes can have issues with tight chokes.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not B sized Hevi shot from a turkey choke in 12ga.

Hal will likely have your answer for you.

dtrkyman

WKR
Indian Creek has a max shot size of number 2 listed for their .410 turkey tubes.