.410 Turkey Load - Older Gun

Lytro

WKR
I'm not huge into turkey hunting, but have been picking up a tag the past few seasons since I go out hiking for sheds quite a bit in April. Merriam's are pretty dumb and have been fairly easy to spot and stalk. I've used my O/U 12 gauge with TSS the last two years and killed two birds, but it's not really a gun I like to strap to a pack or carry around for miles.

I have an old pre-WWII Stevens bolt action .410 that would fit in my pack well, and I think would be cool to get a turkey with. Does anyone have any recommendations on ammo? The gun will take 3" shells. I'm assuming it would probably be best to go with an all lead shot since the barrel is over 80 years old?

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I would stay with lead. TSS is a very, very hard shot and would probably have a detrimental affect on the old girl. Maybe take a look at the Winchester Double X 3” #71/2’s.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought some bismuth loads from these guys:

Bismuth should work fine in your gun as it's softer than other loads. However it's #7 shot bismuth, gotta get em in close!

Otherwise I'd recommend lead as the next best bet.

dtrkyman

WKR
I patterned a few lead loads through a couple .410, pathetic is the first thing that comes to mind. 25 yards will be starting to stretch it!

I couldn't believe how terrible the patterns were, though I have killed a truck load of pheasant with the O/U.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm not huge into turkey hunting, but have been picking up a tag the past few seasons since I go out hiking for sheds quite a bit in April. Merriam's are pretty dumb and have been fairly easy to spot and stalk. I've used my O/U 12 gauge with TSS the last two years and killed two birds, but it's not really a gun I like to strap to a pack or carry around for miles.

I have an old pre-WWII Stevens bolt action .410 that would fit in my pack well, and I think would be cool to get a turkey with. Does anyone have any recommendations on ammo? The gun will take 3" shells. I'm assuming it would probably be best to go with an all lead shot since the barrel is over 80 years old?
A 410 isn't much of a turkey gun unless shooting tss.

hobbes

WKR
I would call and discuss the option of TSS with someone that has extensive experience with it. In a 410 load you'll likely be shooting 9, 9.5, or 10 shot. This small shot is not as detrimental as trying to shoot TSS the size of say a #4. In addition, all handloads that I'm aware of include not only the wad but mylar that should provide some protection.

I would call Brice at Fox Trot Ammo, Hal with Tungsten Super shot web site, or Tommy Duliba ( Shooter on Gobblernation). These guys know TSS backwards and forwards and have developed and pressure tested load after load.

If I was buying a 410 TSS round, it would be a 383 Stroker from Brice at Foxtrot Ammo.

Last edited:
OP
Lytro

Lytro

WKR
A 410 isn't much of a turkey gun unless shooting tss.
25 yards will be starting to stretch it!
It's going in my pack so I can go after some turkeys while hiking for sheds if an opportunity presents itself. Merriams are extremely dumb and the terrain is steep wooded hills. I've snuck into less than 10 yards on a lot of birds out there, so I think I'm just going to give some lead shot I already have a try.

The 12 ga with TSS will be in the truck if I come across any birds going in or out. I end up hiking about 15 miles a day and won't be toting around an O/U all day. I'd use my bow if I was going out solely to sit and call.

dtrkyman

WKR
It will surely do the job up close, I highly suggest shooting it at a large paper target and see were your pattern hits in relation to your aim point!

Good luck.

RunNGunSC

FNG
My daughter just took her first turkey shooting apex ninja .410 shells. They are 9.5 shot, pattern great and blasted him.

OP
Lytro

Lytro

WKR
3” Remington lead 5 shot worked just fine.

Attachments

• 67CBB7C2-D4D8-498E-B0F5-723AFC5F0270.jpeg
    67CBB7C2-D4D8-498E-B0F5-723AFC5F0270.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 15

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter shot a gobbler with the 3” Remington 5 shot lead using the same bolt action stevens .410. The shot was 14 yards. the Remington load patterned well enough out to 25 yards, but fell apart by 30.9B52573C-0912-496A-A288-68DE1BCE6A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Lytro

Lytro

WKR
My daughter shot a gobbler with the 3” Remington 5 shot lead using the same bolt action stevens .410. The shot was 14 yards. the Remington load patterned well enough out to 25 yards, but fell apart by 30.
Yep, looks like the same gun. I picked mine up from a gun show in NM about 10 years ago for $60.

For a $60 gun, I’d say try the TSS. Sure it MAY scar the soft smoothbore barrel, but does it have an open choke. TSS typically works better with less choke and a ton of old 410s are full choke.