Turkey load?

dtrkyman

WKR
The 5s are not the problem the pathetic pattern is. A number 5 pheasant load runs out of pattern quickly.

Get a turkey load or keep shots at 30yds or less!

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
12 Ga, 3" TSS #9 is legit! I dont do 3.5" turkey loads. To much punishment for me

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ok 1 dead turkey.

Next up, 20ga youth model.

Which one are you picking? Assume shot will be 10-15 yards over a decoy.

I’m thinking the load 4s or 6s over the steel. (Those are some old school 6s that say duck, but are lead).

Leaning toward 6s with an improved cylinder choke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
For under 30 yards no way I'd use bigger than 6's. Probably want more than imp cylinder. I'd go with a factory full unless you really certain it will be sub 18 yards, then it won't matter what choke, or if you even have one screwed in.

Edit: for sub 20 just use a 7/8oz #8. Hopefully won't penetrate the feathers in the breast and ruin the burgers.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
For under 30 yards no way I'd use bigger than 6's. Probably want more than imp cylinder. I'd go with a factory full unless you really certain it will be sub 18 yards, then it won't matter what choke, or if you even have one screwed in.

Edit: for sub 20 just use a 7/8oz #8. Hopefully won't penetrate the feathers in the breast and ruin the burgers.
Decoy will be 15 yards. Good chance she’ll be blasting one off the decoy.

Decoy will be 15 yards. Good chance she’ll be blasting one off the decoy.

Make it sporting.

I suggest 000 buck, from a slingshot.

Actually 15 is tough, most loads/choke combos won't be much bigger than a cantaloupe.
Imp Cyl will be good assuming it doesn't actually hang up. I'd still give up on the few inches you might gain over full for the yards you will gain on the other end.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Make it sporting.

I suggest 000 buck, from a slingshot.

Actually 15 is tough, most loads/choke combos won't be much bigger than a cantaloupe.
Imp Cyl will be good assuming it doesn't actually hang up. I'd still give up on the few inches you might gain over full for the yards you will gain on the other end.
She’s 12. Everything is sporting. 😂

Honyock

WKR
I've killed a lot of turkeys with Winchester Long Beard XR. My old 870 patterns them really well. Never seen the need for TSS. I like to see how close I can get them, not how far I can shoot them.