Is the Expen$$$ive Turkey ammo worth it?

dtrkyman

WKR
Fullfan that seems cheap, you loading a light payload, I thought I was around 6$ a shell but haven't done the math in years for all components, a friend did give me a bunch of hulls so that skimmed a bit off the top.

I think a lot of guys just don't hunt turkeys enough to justify hand loading and the initial investment to get started. TSS wasn't available commercially when I started loading it.

Weldor

WKR
No. #5 20 ga. 2-3/4" I don't think you can over kill aTurkey. LOL.

Long Cut

WKR
Fullfan that seems cheap, you loading a light payload, I thought I was around 6$ a shell but haven't done the math in years for all components, a friend did give me a bunch of hulls so that skimmed a bit off the top.

I think a lot of guys just don't hunt turkeys enough to justify hand loading and the initial investment to get started. TSS wasn't available commercially when I started loading it.

I looked into loading TSS on my own but you’re absolutely correct. The price of TSS alone and how rarely I shoot TSS doesn’t even justify the investment to attempt it.

I have never hunted turkey with a shotgun before. Where I live, my only semi-realistic chance to hunt turkey will be at a wildlife Management Area that only allows non-toxic shot size 2 or smaller.

I was in Bass Pro yesterday, and I saw they had only one particular type of 12 gauge non lead ammo specifically advertised for turkeys…..and it was $79.99 for a box of 5.

that is not a typo, $80 for five shells.

i can get size 2 (or smaller) steel shot for about a Buck a shell, vs $18 per shell for the tungsten stuff.

is the TSS stuff worth a 1,800% markup over steel shot?
It is not worth it for 12ga and maybe 20ga, 410 it is worth it. With a 12 ga steel shot is just fine and with the right choke you can shoot out to 60yards or further.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
First turkey gun I’ve owned, sighting in the red dot. #9.5 TSS, 1-5/8 oz, 28 gauge, 40 yds. Needs to be cleaned I think but a good start. IMG_6142.jpeg