Is the Expen$$$ive Turkey ammo worth it?

I have never hunted turkey with a shotgun before. Where I live, my only semi-realistic chance to hunt turkey will be at a wildlife Management Area that only allows non-toxic shot size 2 or smaller.

I was in Bass Pro yesterday, and I saw they had only one particular type of 12 gauge non lead ammo specifically advertised for turkeys…..and it was $79.99 for a box of 5.

that is not a typo, $80 for five shells.

i can get size 2 (or smaller) steel shot for about a Buck a shell, vs $18 per shell for the tungsten stuff.

is the TSS stuff worth a 1,800% markup over steel shot?

Thats a STUPID LAW but If I had to pony up for non-toxic shot I would be shooting TSS over steel all day long for turkeys. Outside of being pigeonholed, I would use my standard lead shot.

TSS is VERY deadly.

What's $15/bird in the grand scheme of things? It costs you 75$ in gas to get there and back...and 25 for beers and lunch.

Got a friend that hunts with a 10 gauge with heavy hand loads of #8 TSS. He told me it was $20/shot and it was worth every penny. He kills birds in 5 different states every single year.

How do you intend to pattern those loads?!?!

It's a giant waddling buzzard with a cool beard. I have never intentionally tried to hunt a turkey, but if I did, the appeal would be calling it into my lap, not smoking it at 80 yards.

Kurts86

WKR
TSS loads are amazing and worth it. I’ve never heard of anyone using Steel shot for turkeys, we used lead, then hevishot (tungsten polymer) then TSS (tungsten super shot).

TSS is 232% the density of steel shot (7.8 g/cc ve 18.1g/cc) so it’s not even in the same ballpark. TSS #9 shot penetrates like #3 steel shot at range but with a much higher pellet count.

MThuntr

WKR
#2-3 Steel shot would do in a turkey within "average" calling distances. It gets iffy too far out but shoot them fast with a decent shot count and it'll do fine. You could also use Bismuth at around $3-4/shot.

Roger's Sporting Goods has some good prices on TSS right now. $8/shot is a bit steep for me but better than 16

I weaseled my way into Federal Blackcloud TSS blend for $10/box back before the panini. They destroy geese at 50 yards just haven't tried them on turkeys yet.

You can buy kits to load TSS if that's what you want. Those kits often include everything but powder and a roll crimp tool.

dtrkyman

WKR
Herter's at BP or Cabela's is a solid "budget" TSS load.

No way I am shooting steel for turkey, maybe Bismuth bit it still is not even as lethal as lead!

Hevi shot still has mag blend it is not cheap either!

chemist

FNG
If I wanted to kill a turkey with a 410, I would absolutely spend the money on TSS. If I were using a 12 gauge I would call them within 40 yards and use bismuth or steel if I had to go lead free.

Fowl Play

WKR
Shooting turkeys at rifle ranges with a shotgun has become the norm. 35 yards and under, give him a load of cheap #6s to the noggin and go on about your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You missed where he has to shoot non-tox. Steel #6’s isn’t even a duck round, let alone turkey.

Realistically for turkeys. Even steel #2’s will get you a clean 25 maybe 30 yards. If you are OK with that. That’s fine.

fatlander

WKR
You missed where he has to shoot non-tox. Steel #6’s isn’t even a duck round, let alone turkey.

Realistically for turkeys. Even steel #2’s will get you a clean 25 maybe 30 yards. If you are OK with that. That’s fine.

20 dollar solution.

A whole hell of a lot of turkeys have been killed further than 30 yards with hevi-shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I've shot them with steel shot out to 45 or so yards. It kills them just fine. I would use 2 shot.

If using lead, most now die by those 3.5" Kent turkey loads, they are like a buck a shell.

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR

Plenty of data showing lethal penetration for #2 steel out to 50 yards. I've seen this in practice as well.

The problem with steel is the pattern density, there tend to be a lot of holes and most people aren't patterning them.

Fowl Play

WKR
Plenty of data showing lethal penetration for #2 steel out to 50 yards. I've seen this in practice as well.

The problem with steel is the pattern density, there tend to be a lot of holes and most people aren't patterning them.
Pattern density is the issue. I’ve patterned #2 steel at 50. It’s way past unacceptable. I’d bet good money on an unrecovered crippled bird 50% of the time if not more.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I have never hunted turkey with a shotgun before. Where I live, my only semi-realistic chance to hunt turkey will be at a wildlife Management Area that only allows non-toxic shot size 2 or smaller.

I was in Bass Pro yesterday, and I saw they had only one particular type of 12 gauge non lead ammo specifically advertised for turkeys…..and it was $79.99 for a box of 5.

that is not a typo, $80 for five shells.

i can get size 2 (or smaller) steel shot for about a Buck a shell, vs $18 per shell for the tungsten stuff.

is the TSS stuff worth a 1,800% markup over steel shot?
IMO, no. The thrill of turkey hunting for me is seeing how close I can get them, not shooting them at distances you need a ballistics calculator for. I'd opt for a load of steel 4s and call them in close. YMMV.

S.Clancy

WKR
Pattern density is the issue. I’ve patterned #2 steel at 50. It’s way past unacceptable. I’d bet good money on an unrecovered crippled bird 50% of the time if not more.
Yea, it took a fair bit of trial and error with different tubes and loads to get a good pattern with steel for me. Still, there will be shots at ducks where I shoot and the sumbitch seems like he flew right through it.