3rd annual Kansas scraps bowhunt

OP
Dos Perros
I walked 1.5 miles into this spot yesterday, haven’t been in here in a few years, and only ever seen does in here. I’m not seeing many mature bucks so thought maybe they were after security. It’s more open but no one is dumb enough to walk in here. Well found 4 group of does and not even a spike.

I’m seeing lots of bones on the prairie, wonder if a virus moved through or something. I know other folks struggled to find mature bucks this year.

d9e28ec7f740bdaaed7ee616876ccfb0.jpg

I went looking for #2 yesterday and even drove an hour round trip to knock on a door. No one was home.

My delicate emotions aren’t letting me confront #1…he dead (I bet). At some point I may regress.

While partly meant in jest, I wouldn't give up hope. They don't get big being dumb, can suddenly show back up and surprise you.

OP
Dos Perros
A light storm moved in over night so I spent most of the day driving. Just heavier winds and precipitation. Wanted to look at some new places. Found two 130-150” whitetails on private but neither were worth a door knock. Tried to find #1 and found everyone except him. No mature bucks but plenty of others.

98c1ec3090c1e3e7ccfaf4b2132e0c85.jpg

7538c528c42dcf59a545a7fa6b51d2dc.jpg

650ae7316af9358d7f041c9c94a66118.jpg

58f915e8f7a6b82df215894873bef8fe.jpg

OP
Dos Perros
Stalked in, had to take a risky approach. There were deer scattered about 80 yards below a ridge. Must have winded me.

So I gave chase. Bumped 2 muley does. Kept going. Found a PILE of whitetails. There’s like 50 whitetails in here all grouped and scattered. I have a whitetail doe tag I don’t mind using. Just seems like there are too many deer to have a successful stalk tho.

f0b7ed7ccb1af8907a01b6b547fa7503.jpg

OP
Dos Perros
It appears there is a, uh, “major ranching event”going on that has pushed all these whitetails in here.

Tim Box

FNG
Hi folks, your pal @Dos Perros here primed and prep'd for the third annual installment of my home state archery finale, to commence between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

You may have followed along in years' past, including last year when I finally (after many years of failing) managed to kill my first deer with a bow. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2nd-annual-kansas-scraps-hunt.245815/

View attachment 490278

I have noticed better cell reception in the area this year so, armed with my MagView, I should be able to add more interesting updates as the hunt progresses. I'll also be adding story updates (videos) to my Instagram @sons_of_the_sod. So pour yourself a drink and settle in. I saw two pretty tremendous bucks in November so if they didn't get killed during rifle season things could get interesting. My freezer is completely empty so you better believe Ima send it.
Nice buck

OP
Dos Perros
Well dudes, as you can guess I didn’t get a buck, or any deer for that matter. Spent the final afternoon stalking whitetails but there were so many I’d inadvertently bump one I didn’t see and they would take out the ones I did see. It’s pretty amazing how even in that open country they can melt in and disappear, does especially. They can curl up and put their heads down and you just can’t see them.

Certainly feels like there are less mature bucks running around. But there are plenty of does so the future looks bright.

I really love hunting the wildest places of my home state. I can imagine the frontier and hard white dudes being scared shitless and sometimes getting scalped and mutilated and worse. The country is still harsh in different ways and the folks out there have created tight communities, probably out of necessity. That has been my experience throughout the west. Everyone I come across is friendly. I’ve had people offer to let me sleep on their couch or in their barn. At first they don’t understand that sleeping in my truck or on the ground is an intentional escape from comfort.

It was also a good time to reflect, and plan the next year, what I want for myself and my family.

Thank you all for following along, coming on the hunt with me. I enjoy sharing. Makes it less lonely, more fun. With any luck by next Christmas I’ll still be a shitty deer hunter and we can do it again.

Happy New Year folks! Now, I gotta go see about a meme video…

c8b7264ffddf3dfedcf0d6262a42de2f.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Well dudes, as you can guess I didn’t get a buck, or any deer for that matter. Spent the final afternoon stalking whitetails but there were so many I’d inadvertently bump one I didn’t see and they would take out the ones I did see. It’s pretty amazing how even in that open country they can melt in and disappear, does especially. They can curl up and put their heads down and you just can’t see them.

Certainly feels like there are less mature bucks running around. But there are plenty of does so the future looks bright.

I really love hunting the wildest places of my home state. I can imagine the frontier and hard white dudes being scared shitless and sometimes getting scalped and mutilated and worse. The country is still harsh in different ways and the folks out there have created tight communities, probably out of necessity. That has been my experience throughout the west. Everyone I come across is friendly. I’ve had people offer to let me sleep on their couch or in their barn. At first they don’t understand that sleeping in my truck or on the ground is an intentional escape from comfort.

It was also a good time to reflect, and plan the next year, what I want for myself and my family.

Thank you all for following along, coming on the hunt with me. I enjoy sharing. Makes it less lonely, more fun. With any luck by next Christmas I’ll still be a shitty deer hunter and we can do it again.

Thank you for the thread. I’m sorry you didn’t harvest, but it sounds like the trip was very rewarding in other ways.

Fordguy

WKR

Happy New Year, and thank you for bringing us along. I look forward to your "scraps hunt" every year (since you started a few years ago).

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I went looking for #2 yesterday and even drove an hour round trip to knock on a door. No one was home.

My delicate emotions aren’t letting me confront #1…he dead (I bet). At some point I may regress.
Yes #1 is dead. Archery killed pre rifle