2nd annual Kansas scraps hunt

Last year some of you followed along while I spent a week trying (and failing) to kill my first archery buck in my home state.

Western KS solo public land archery deer hunt

Tonight, after putting the kids to bed, I’ll again be pointing her west. Work, family, side hustles, and out of state hunts have taken priority, so this will be my first home state hunt of the year and the plan is to play till the whistle blows on Dec 31. I appreciated folks following along last year, made the lonely grind more fun. I’ll try to keep this thread updated but will also be putting story updates on the ‘gram @sons_of_the_sod . Settle in, follow along, try not to laugh at me sucking it up too much.

Teaser: first up I’m going to see if the buck I found last year is still alive.

8cf402e06f4ddd78a8bc36ec50513613.jpg

OP
Dos Perros
Pretty warm as windy today. Think it had the deer in the bottoms of draws. Didn’t see very much at all.

Kansas had a pretty remarkable wind storm a couple weeks back, damage evident all over.

caf2b880001d1ea10c1da3b976140033.jpg

OP
Dos Perros
Sorry didn’t update yesterday, I put a few stories on my Instagram if you want to see some videos.

I went to look for that same buck from Monday morning but no dice. Then went to a new spot and worked up a big draw checking all the cuts. Found this broken 4 point with some does and was thinking fuggit.

Last edited:
OP
Dos Perros
I got to within 72 yards crawling on my belly through prickly pear, bow balanced on my back, when a doe fed down the draw and caught my wind. They all soft bumped up the ridge.

I pursued and bumped a coyote which then took them out again. I decided to leave them for today.

Now I’m up early fueling up my body. It’s 8 degrees. My jelly froze. Never had that happen before. I’m going all in on this deer.