36A-3 Idaho Goat

Smyersvt

FNG
Drew a goat tag for the White Clouds Wilderness of Idaho (36A-3). I am new to goat hunting but have hunt bighorns and doll’s multiple times. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

I’ve seen few there, not a hard unit to figure out. you can use a motorcycle in most the unit. pm and I’ll tell you where I’ve seen them

OP
S

Smyersvt

FNG
Thanks all for reaching out. I am still awaiting my permissions to be updated so I can PM, but I am looking forward to contact those of you who reached out!

BKIdaho

FNG
Get in there up high and you won’t find it hard to find them, you’ll just find it hard to find a big Billie. That takes boot leather. Don’t shoot the nannies despite the looong horns, though I doubt that’s your intent.

Wait until their coats fully come in to harvest. Kill % is very high for a reason.

I hunted 36a-1 10 yrs ago and found my Billie very early on. He wasn’t the longest, and got even shorter after tumbling, but was 12 yrs old and the everall hunt was an amazing experience. Friend of a friend had same tag last yr as I and I helped scout while visiting Sun Valley, took no time to find goats and numbers seemed to have improved even.

Good luck. I’ll be in there rifle elk hunting Oct 1, if I see any nice ones scouting in your area, I’ll PM you.

OP
S

Smyersvt

FNG
Thanks for the info! I’m targeting end of September as my first week hunting in there… several scouts before that start with next week.