300 win mag bad hunting experiences

OP
P

Petar

FNG
Amazing, the OP has a handful of choices yet we have treads dedicated to worrying about 3” of “extra” drift at 500 yards.

Perspective...

In addition to that, the numbers in orange on the boxes are euro prices for one bullet, so that box of rws is almost 140 euros
And to make comparation to that my sallary is 400 euros which is 150 euros more than average salary here
Maybe thats the reason they dont have high quality ammo here

Wapiti1

WKR
Petar, I wouldn't say you don't have good quality ammo. Sako, RWS and Geco are good brands with long histories. The comments are related to the bullet alone. Each manufacturer offers several bullet choices, and we are just saying pick a tougher bullet.

The Sako Hammerhead is a tough bullet, as is the RWS H Mantel if you can find it. The Sierra Gameking you showed is also a decent bullet. Certainly capable of punch through a hog.

The photos you showed look like the bullet you have been using is just too soft for the task. Probably fine for roe buck, or fallow, but not tough enough for a hog.

Jeremy

tdhanses

WKR
I would try that Sierra game king out and see what it does before buying a lot of different options, especially at the prices you have to pay.

CorbLand

WKR
In addition to that, the numbers in orange on the boxes are euro prices for one bullet, so that box of rws is almost 140 euros
And to make comparation to that my sallary is 400 euros which is 150 euros more than average salary here
Maybe thats the reason they dont have high quality ammo here
God Bless America.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Petar,

Hallo from Deutschland. You are correct, the S&B PST is nothing but a hornady SST. This is a very soft and frangible bullet for heavy boned game like a boar at 300 win mag speeds especially at close driven game distances. I had the same problem with the PST, the HPC is a little better but still not fantastic even at 30/06 speeds. I also tried the PPU Z GROM (tin core) like you and got inconsistent results. I then tried the GECO PLUS (a bonded bullet) with fantastic results in all situations. It’s not the most accurate bullet out of my rifle but more than adequate out to 250 meters on small reh deer. I suggest you try the GECO PLUS, if it shoots straight out of your rifle it’s a great bullet with consistent results.

Waidmannsheil!

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Petar , see the above comments and as hinted, I suspect you are in a country not as firearm & ammo friendly as the US... Good luck procuring your desired replacement ammo..

I used to have the same misconception, but after living in Germany for the past 3 years I can tell you many European countries are just as free to own weapons if not more free then the USA.

OP
P

Petar

FNG
This boar was killed by mu friend this weekend with 30 06 s&b softpoint
It was small boar, maybe 50 kilos, but it made giant hole

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_164239.jpg
    IMG_20191116_164239.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191116_170133.jpg
    IMG_20191116_170133.jpg