300 PRC thoughts for Elk?

WildWyo

FNG
I live in the West and have been hunting with my trusty 308 for two years now. This year I had a fiasco where I had to take an unprepared shot at some Elk at 750 Yards. I practice long range shooting so luckily it didn't go FUBAR and I ended up double lunging a cow elk. I decided after that I wanted to upgrade to a heavier hitting, higher BC, and more wind resistant round. I really like 300 PRC but I've been thinking about also getting a 300 WIn Mag. I don't reload right now but in the future I can see myself getting into it. I see 300 PRC as the future (especially with the new Department of Defense contract) of magnum calibers or am I wrong? should I look into the 300 Win Mag? I want a long action/Magnum cartridge that I can use for mainly elk/possibly for moose and shoot out to 600-700 Yards.

gtriple

WKR
300PRC is definitely here to stay. My Christensen Ridgeline 300PRC was absolutely awesome. I kinda regret selling it. But I'm just finishing up a short-barreled 7PRC instead. I just couldn't stand swinging around a 26" barrel with a 7-9" can. The 7PRC would be my recommendation.

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t blame you - hunting isn’t just bulls standing broadside waiting to be shot - the more capable your cartridge the fewer shots you need to pass up.

The 300 PRC is a well thought out cartridge with increasing popularity, so that would be my choice, but you can’t go wrong either way.

jimh406

WKR
I don't think you "had to" take an unprepared shot.

However, if you are going to shoot long distances at Elk, the 300 PRC would be a better choice especially if you don't reload. Just keep in mind that you might want a suppressor or brake. It's going to be nearly double the kick.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have witnessed a few bulls shot with that round, impressed me, all were face planted!

I am a bowhunter so it was impressive to see, hell I wasn't even thinking we were in the game yet and guys were freaking out, then I was like oh chit we are in range:LOL:.

300 prc 225 eldm's and go kill things. Wind drift? What's that?

I came from a 308 shooting 178 ELDX. Killed alottttt of deer, elk, antelope with it.

Won't go back I'm on the bandwagon, it was my first fall with it. My bull and buck where bang and flops.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Mtk6888

FNG
Had a custom 300 prc built this year and that thing can shoot. Honestly cant go wrong with the prc.

So you took a tough shot you had prepared well to take, you killed the cow elk cleanly with a .308 and now you need a new rifle...what am I missing? Or do you just want a new rifle for the sake of a new rifle, nothing wrong with that.

180ls1

WKR
Used a 300prc and 225 match this year. Very accurate, very good in the wind and 4dof makes things very simple. Would reccomend. If you already have a 300WM I'd say just keep it but if buying get the prc.

I think 7 PRC is the better overall caliber. (Less recoil, less wind drift, more velocity at distance.)

That said at some point I plan on building a 300 PRC as my main rifle is a 7 SAUM and I want a long action rifle with some more oomph. The 7 PRC is a little too close to what the SAUM is to justify a different rifle, reloading dies, etc.

It’s a definite upgrade in performance (and recoil) over the 308.