30-06 for everything????

I fail to see where the 30-06 is such a beast in the recoil department, some of you guys need to get away from the 243s and 6.5s my go to gun for eastern woodland white tails is a 760 Remington game master pushing 180 loads either factory’s or hand loads been using this combination going on 55 some years. Put a lot of Bambi's in the freezer with it. Even laid a few down with a 300 win mag, tried a 338 win mag one year just too much for a white tail.

sharps54

FNG
I fail to see where the 30-06 is such a beast in the recoil department, some of you guys need to get away from the 243s and 6.5s my go to gun for eastern woodland white tails is a 760 Remington game master pushing 180 loads either factory’s or hand loads been using this combination going on 55 some years. Put a lot of Bambi's in the freezer with it. Even laid a few down with a 300 win mag, tried a 338 win mag one year just too much for a white tail.
I don’t know the older I get the wimpier I get in the recoil department. I grew up in PA and had a pump 30-06 in high school. Later one I got the Safari rifle bug and had all kinds of silly rifles (340 Weatherby, 375 H&H, 416 Remington, 458 Lott) but these days my hunting rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor and am considering downsizing to a 6.5 Grendel since the only hunting I do anymore is North Carolina deer. The only 30-06 I still have is my grandfather’s Model 70 which still wears the peep sight he hunted with.

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We anxiously await your results, as I really hope the 30-06 remains up to the task ;)
Especially since I just cleaned up this ol' Remington BDL 30-06 for my mom to have a dedicated elk rifle! I replaced the plastic grip cap and forend cap with actual ebony wood, refinished the stock with Tru oil, added pillar glass bedding and a triggerteck. It got a VariX2 3-9x40. She loves classic style and accuracy, so I figured this would fit her style 😎

I have yet to see a browning xbolt that didn't shoot exceptionally well! Of course, I haven't been around one yet with an organic stock ;)
View attachment 733518View attachment 733519View attachment 733520
Beautiful gun!

What is a rockstock?

There’s a sticky thread at the top of the firearms section. Fairly new design. I’ve never tried one but apparently this comb/stock design reduces perceived recoil and makes it easier to acquire a sight picture and maintain proper form.

I put a vertical grip on my T3 and I really like it.

IMG_2991.png

Vern400

WKR
I like super ridiculously accurate rifles and all the fine super detailed points of precision hand loading.

That being said, I've killed deer with a Dan Wesson 6-in 22 LR revolver, a 22 rifle, a 22 magnum, a 44 caliber black powder revolver, a 45 caliber cap and ball rifle, 20 gauge, 12 gauge, 223, 308, 45 ACP, 44 magnum rifle, 375 Winchester rifle and several others I probably forgot about. Closest gun kill was at 7 feet and the longest at 375 yards.

In all my successful hunts, not once has the result been because of the gun. I've killed over a hundred counting just deer, and that's not a high number at all. In my lifetime I've lost or wounded four.

In conclusion, you're 30- 06 is more capable of anything I've ever used, and it is a fine weapon. Do let us know if the bullets bounce off!
And have fun!

nubbin

FNG

I think that’s mostly from Grandads 30-06 is where that stigma comes from. I won’t deny that the 30-06 has a sharp recoil. You add that sharp recoil with an older rifle that has no butt pad on it and it can fatigue a shoulder quickly. My dad has a Remington 760 30-06, after a few round at the range you feel it in the shoulder, that’s shooting 150gr corelokts. My savage 110 in 30-06 is an absolute breeze to shoot and that’s shooting 175gr bullets.

Clarktar

WKR
I've been pushing 200 grain bookits with RL17 at 2700+ fps. One of my favorite guns (tikka with a 17" barrel)

KenLee

WKR
We anxiously await your results, as I really hope the 30-06 remains up to the task ;)
Especially since I just cleaned up this ol' Remington BDL 30-06 for my mom to have a dedicated elk rifle! I replaced the plastic grip cap and forend cap with actual ebony wood, refinished the stock with Tru oil, added pillar glass bedding and a triggerteck. It got a VariX2 3-9x40. She loves classic style and accuracy, so I figured this would fit her style 😎

I have yet to see a browning xbolt that didn't shoot exceptionally well! Of course, I haven't been around one yet with an organic stock ;)
View attachment 733518View attachment 733519View attachment 733520
Slick 700. Most women will outshoot us fellers too.

7mm-08

WKR
IMO, I say 300WM is the do-all. It used to be that 300WM ammo was significantly more expensive and harder to find. In today's landscape this is no longer the case. The gun weighs the same as a 30-06. Anything a 30-06 can do a 300WM can do better.
I don't think anyone can argue that a 300 WM is a beast of a rifle. But, talk to Alaska guides with gray hair - they'll tell you that when most hunters arrive at camp with a 300 WM or larger caliber, they know they're going to have to shoot wounded game. Most guys don't spend as much time shooting a gun that kicks the hell out of them and they are, thus, less effective/proficient at putting a bullet where it needs to land.

And to answer the OP's original question - yes, the .30-06 for everything!