30-06 for everything????

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
First hunt I went on with a 30-06, I waited for two hogs to get lined up and killed them with one corelokt bullet. So the 30-06 is also economical to shoot as it conserves ammo.

2531usmc

WKR
Just came back from a two week vacation in Alaska and the Yukon. Funny, but in the little stores out on the highway that sold rifle ammo, the only rifle ammo I saw was 22lr, 308 win, and 30-06.

It’s telling that this is the rifle ammo that the locals buy

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
I turn 39 this year I have purged my hunting rifles and more only have (2) 30-06, .22,30-30, 45-70, 338 federal, 338 win mag. Once you learn to reload that 30-06 does almost everything. I am thinking about a 25-06

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Tikka T3x Lite in 30-06 for an elk rifle. I’ve found that it prefers lighter bullets and have developed a good load for the 150gr TTSX. Haven’t taken anything with it yet. I’ve moved on to the 130gr ttsx with hopes to get it going 3250-3300fps.

You have a nice looking rifle in a great option of cartridge. I’m not much into browning or wood stock myself but many are. It will do most anything you ask of it.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I seem to recall hearing that the wwII 30-06 rounds were loaded to a slightly lower pressure than today’s 30-06 ammo. As a result, a garand can be damaged by firing modern commercial ammo?

Is there any truth to that or is it just random talk?
Correct. However, you can install an adjustable gas plug and run hotter, more modern ammo.

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you tried a faster powder?
I have a bunch of Varget, RL26, and Superformance. I haven’t messed with them for this load honestly going to be limiting my shots to around 400 with this gun and it has all the power/velocity I need at that range plus with all the hunts I have in different climate's and elevations it’s really hard to beat the consistency of H4350.

I am sure I will give it some more horsepower after season but with all the travel I have been doing I don’t want to mess with it. If it’s broke don’t fix it kind of thing.

FLS

WKR
I have a bunch of Varget, RL26, and Superformance. I haven’t messed with them for this load honestly going to be limiting my shots to around 400 with this gun and it has all the power/velocity I need at that range plus with all the hunts I have in different climate's and elevations it’s really hard to beat the consistency of H4350.

I am sure I will give it some more horsepower after season but with all the travel I have been doing I don’t want to mess with it. If it’s broke don’t fix it kind of thing.
The enemy of good is better…

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider

Okie_Poke

FNG
You can’t go wrong with the ‘06. Looks like you’ve got lots of hunts planned. I’m looking forward to reading about them. I have no experience with that bullet, so I’m interested in how you get along with it.

I seem to recall hearing that the wwII 30-06 rounds were loaded to a slightly lower pressure than today’s 30-06 ammo. As a result, a garand can be damaged by firing modern commercial ammo?

Is there any truth to that or is it just random talk?
It has the possibility of bending the operating rod, there are standards as to re-producing military 30-06 ammo for the garand and there are factory loadings especially for the old war horse, you can also buy a specially manufactured gas plug that will allow you to shoot most factory 30-06 loadings the best bet is re-search military 30-06 garand loading data and go from there.