30-06 barrel cutdown results

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If your interested in experimenting, load some 168’s with imr 4064 and you’ll see better velocity. I get 3k in multiple rifles with 24” barrels and 2850 from the same load in a 18” barrel.
I never hit pressure when I loaded with Staball and got to 2840 with my 19 inch tube. Have to see if my dad has some 4064 to play around with.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
If a person is cutting to 18” why not just keep going to the legal minimum? Serious question.
I thought about it, and still might. My can was in jail for 9 months and I still hadn't made up my mind when I finally got my stamp about a month ago. One of my great concerns was balance intersected with reducing overall length and velocity. My gun shot great and carried great without the can.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know about results, this is what I’m thinking of doing also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My magnetospeed isn't reading velocity with the can on. Irritated. Until I decided I'm going to get a Xero today.

All I have on hand right now is two boxes of factory 178 ELDX, should be a good starting point.
FYI, factory Barnes 175 LRX was 2765 fps out of my barrel before it was cut.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My magnetospeed isn't reading velocity with the can on. Irritated. Until I decided I'm going to get a Xero today.

All I have on hand right now is two boxes of factory 178 ELDX, should be a good starting point.
FYI, factory Barnes 175 LRX was 2765 fps out of my barrel before it was cut.
You'll love the Xero, there's no comparison to a magneto speed.

z987k

WKR
My 30-06 is 20" and I get 2890 and 2840 with two different 175gr bullets. LRX and DRT respectively.

Last edited:

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
My 30-06 is 20" and I get 2890 and 2840 with two different 175gr bullets. LRX and DRT respectively.
Yeah I don’t reload unfortunately. My family and I are living in our trailer the last 18 months building a house on a 65 acre parcel we bought last year. Suffice it to say - it’s cramped. Even with the enclosed shop section that’s our living room/kitchen/closet/workspace…My treat to myself is buying a press and diving into education when we are finally moved in. I do have 600 yards of steel plates on site that my son and I love…