3 or 5 pin??

ATL

FNG
I shoot an HHA single pin but I’m really tempted to pick up one of their 4 pin sliders. I’m worried about a hunting scenario where I get screwed because I don’t have time to range AND dial for something close
Do a search about “trick pin system”. I do something similar, I use 50 yard pin for shots of 5-43 yards on elk. I use the 35 yard pin for 5-32 yard shots on deer. Takes some practice to aim off the vitals and trust it, but it works great. Works well for shots I do not have time to range the actual distance to the animal, just need to know approximately where 43 yards or 32 yards is before the animal shows up. Once they step within the respective range I am looking for the opportunity to take the shot, not worrying about the actual range. All I need to do is hold the proper pin on the bottom edge of the chest. I use a fixed pin sight, but I imagine this would work for a slider too.

JStol5

WKR
I have switched to 3 pin sights mostly on my hunting bows. Same reason, cleaner picture. I shoot Spot hogg sights on my hunting bows, I have the triple stack on a hogg father on one bow, then an old small housing 3 pin on a Tommy Hogg, using the triple stack pointer.

25,35, & 45, tho have been thinking of going 30-40-50.
How do you like the triplestack compared to a normal 3 pin slider?

How do you like the triplestack compared to a normal 3 pin slider?

I really like shooting it more as a single pin, I have holds for further shots, but it's a nice clean sight picture with the top pin. I don't like shooting the 2nd and 3rd pins as much. Now in a hunting situation on deer sized game and up I don't feel it matters, however in shooting dots/3d I pretty much dial for every shot. Just too much of the target gets obscured by the heavy post that's created. It's easy to use tho in a deer for a hunting level of accuracy shot, however it's difficult to shoot tiny rings on a 3d deer with.

So if you want to only dial past a certain yardage, I'd tend to recommend you go with a conventional 3 pin sight. If you will probably do more setting the sight for your shot, but want something that you can shoot with actual hold mark marks out at further distance quickly, then I'd go the Triple Stack.

The past few years I have been shooting a lot more target, using a single up pin scope. Just feels more comfortable to go to the Triple Stack, tho I can still shoot the regular 3 pin sights just fine. My winter hunting bow has a conventional 3pin on a Tommy base.

I think it comes down to how much you intend to dial. I plan on dialing 80% or more of my shots, so TS works great for the open sight picture on the top pin.

JStol5

WKR
I really like shooting it more as a single pin, I have holds for further shots, but it's a nice clean sight picture with the top pin. I don't like shooting the 2nd and 3rd pins as much. Now in a hunting situation on deer sized game and up I don't feel it matters, however in shooting dots/3d I pretty much dial for every shot. Just too much of the target gets obscured by the heavy post that's created. It's easy to use tho in a deer for a hunting level of accuracy shot, however it's difficult to shoot tiny rings on a 3d deer with.

So if you want to only dial past a certain yardage, I'd tend to recommend you go with a conventional 3 pin sight. If you will probably do more setting the sight for your shot, but want something that you can shoot with actual hold mark marks out at further distance quickly, then I'd go the Triple Stack.

The past few years I have been shooting a lot more target, using a single up pin scope. Just feels more comfortable to go to the Triple Stack, tho I can still shoot the regular 3 pin sights just fine. My winter hunting bow has a conventional 3pin on a Tommy base.

I think it comes down to how much you intend to dial. I plan on dialing 80% or more of my shots, so TS works great for the open sight picture on the top pin.
I shoot a single pin right now and want to pick up a 2 or 3 pin sight, wasn’t sure how functional the bottom two pins would be. I see it as more of a single pin with two “oh-Sh!t” pins rather than a three pin, if that makes sense. I’d probably shoot it like a single pin and dial for most shots

I'm running 3 pin sight. 20-30-40 with the slider. Helps clean up the picture and less thinking when the time comes to release an arrow

Jumpman

FNG
Big 3 pin guy, hate the clutter like others have said. HOWEVER, as of this year I felt the need to switch to a 5 pin. The land I hunt has zero trees, overall is mostly flat, but has some hills. Because of this, it’s difficult to get within 50 yards sometimes leading for me to feel like I need my pins set at 30 40 50 60 and 70 because of being forced into longer (but ethical) shots. I have and will keep a 3 pin sight and swap them out depending on my hunting location.

PiTaLin

FNG
I use a 5 pin now, but considering going down to 3 for less clutter. I like the idea of a 1 pin too but I'm not experienced enough to be that good.

RazeRob

FNG
I yuse a 2 pin and have been thinking of switching to a 3 or 5. 5 Seems useful but would want to try it out before buying for sight picture.

fulton13

FNG
I found that using a single pin was my best option. I was a 3 pin sight guy for the longest time and never thought I would change. Once I started using a single pin and testing it out, I realized that I didn’t need a multi pin sight.
Which single pin do you use? I have been thinking about switching here after this season.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Which single pin do you use? I have been thinking about switching here after this season.

I’m currently using the HHA Tetra Max. I went with the Max because it allows you to change wheels for different arrow/draw weight setups.

I started off using the HHA Optimizer on my older bow and liked it as well.

I am new to archery and using a 5 pin trophy ridge entry level sight. I am shooting tight groups out to 50 yards. My 60 yard shots are within a paper plate grouping. The resounding statement here has been “clutter and target panic“ with the 5 pin fixed sights. Now I am curious about the 3 pin setups with the sliders.

Blandry

WKR
Do a search about “trick pin system”. I do something similar, I use 50 yard pin for shots of 5-43 yards on elk. I use the 35 yard pin for 5-32 yard shots on deer. Takes some practice to aim off the vitals and trust it, but it works great. Works well for shots I do not have time to range the actual distance to the animal, just need to know approximately where 43 yards or 32 yards is before the animal shows up. Once they step within the respective range I am looking for the opportunity to take the shot, not worrying about the actual range. All I need to do is hold the proper pin on the bottom edge of the chest. I use a fixed pin sight, but I imagine this would work for a slider too.
that must be something similar to this which is how I setup and trained when I used a single pin slider and still do to some extent to dial in my 3 pins. I have a 2 arrow setup 505 and 590gr so it takes some time to understand how both of my arrows work in wind and range/drop but yeah this method works for sure.

Last edited: