3 or 5 pin??

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 4 pin mover the past two years and am using a 3 pin mover this year; 30-40-50. I like it a lot. It's a Black gold custom from S&S, with the dual tape arrows.

jlhois

FNG
I've been real happy with a single pin slider. In the last 4 years with it I've killed 2 bulls, 2 bears, 6 deer and a handfull of birds across many different landscapes, and can't think of any "lost opportunities" due to having only one pin. I can't imagine wanting 5 pins on a slider, 2 or 3 seems reasonable though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using and liking my 7-pin Spot Hoggs for so long that I'd have a hard time changing from that. But if I used a slider, I always thought a 5-pin would be perfect for that.

Blandry

WKR
so it's still clear as mud :).. I'd recommend buying a 5pin, 3pin, single pin, single pin .10, single pin .19, and multi pins .10/.19 haha

I've tried them all and have a 3pin slider .10 now... pretty happy with it.

KBC

WKR
Had a fixed 7 and went to a slider 3 pin. Tried 4 but it was too much so back to 3 with a .010” pin on the bottom. Green red green, 20-30-40 on a BG with dual indicators but it came with an extra set so I squeezed in a third indicator for the middle pin so I can see what all my pins are set for when I dial. I think a 3 pin is the perfect compromise.

Edit to add; the top 2 indicators are under one screw and the 40 is under its own in case I lose an indicator screw I still have the bottom one with full thread engagement.

Going to a 0.010” pin on the bottom was a huge upgrade.

Question for the group. Why a 20 yard pin?

Jeremy
Probably tradition as much as anything. Most indoor ranges are 20 yards, Most initial sight in and actually probably most shooting is done at that yardage. Just kinda makes sense. Most bows are close enough at under 20 yard ranges that you can use that pin dead on.

4 pin as well with the 30 centered in the housing since that seems to be the distance I kill animals at the most. I've used a MBG custom for the last 6 years and this season swapped it for a landslyde with a 5 pin and wasn't a fan. I just took a pin out of the scope (it was actually really easy) to make it a 4 pin.

huntnful

WKR
I use a 3 pin slider set at 30, 40 & 50 (50 is the slider pin) and absolutely love it. No clutter, all different colors, and only hits about 2" high as yardage gets closer. I use the standard Axel without the dovetail and it's been super solid. Going on 3 seasons and haven't had a single issue with it.

TheViking

WKR
3-pin slider has been my go to and I will be hard pressed to switch.

30 - 40 - 50, 50 as slider

Anything sub 30 and you aim 30 low
Hold appropriate over/under through 50
and elk sized game, 50 on top of the back for a 60 yard shot

All these scenarios need to be practiced (repetitively) and triple checked

But with a 3 pin slider as setup above, I can shoot out to 60 confidently without touching my sight.

I am pretty confident I wouldn't have shot my bull this year without have this (or similar) setup. He came running in, turned into an area that I didn't have a chance to range ahead of time, I had to field judge the distance and rip a shot off within a few seconds. I judged him to be 50 yards away, after I took the shot and he ran off, I ranged the spot where he was standing: 48.2 yards (it was a successful double lung shot)

If you have a double or single pin setup for shorter ranges, you might have been screwed in that scenario.

3 pin slider is a great happy medium and best overall setup IMO, especially for elk hunting where they can come in at any distance at anytime - you have a pin ready.

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
I went from 5 pin and 7 pin to the fast Eddie triple stack 3 pin and absolutely love it. The best sight setup I’ve ever had. Highly recommend 3 vertical pins on a slider.

Dalton138

FNG
For me less is better. Target panic was a real issue for me with 5 pins. I was seeing too much in the sight and not enough of what I was aiming at. I made the jump from 5 pins to 1 and I’ll never got back. It’s worked this far for whitetail, turkey, and elk. Out of fear of hating a single pin I bought a used sight and it’s still the one I use today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never had an issue with dialing making you miss a shot?

JStol5

WKR
I shoot an HHA single pin but I’m really tempted to pick up one of their 4 pin sliders. I’m worried about a hunting scenario where I get screwed because I don’t have time to range AND dial for something close

*zap*

WKR
I took 2 pins out of my spott hogg hoggit 5 pin cause they were too close and for whitetail I really do not need to shoot past 45......and that would be on something I hit and wounded. 20-35 is my killing range. First pin is 22 and second pin is 33. 50# elite GTO. Used to shoot 74# on that bow was I was a bit younger and the 5 pins were very close to one another then...but my eyes were a bit better. I put in all green ,019 pins years ago.

TX_Diver

WKR
I used a 4 pin mover the past two years and am using a 3 pin mover this year; 30-40-50. I like it a lot. It's a Black gold custom from S&S, with the dual tape arrows.

I shot the same and had the ability to slide up to 20 if I wanted to (figured I'd never need to). The sight picture with 3 pins is great! After this year I am going back to a 4 or maybe even 5 pin though. Had a bull at 30 and without my 20 yard pin I failed to accurately gauge the trajectory of the arrow.

This is all I got from my elk hunt instead of a nice bull...

zBrTs8yh.jpg

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a spott hogg 5 pin for 15 years
Went to a triple stack, love it in the back yard, haven’t got to use it hunting where I needed to dial yet