243 Ackley Imp help please

sveltri

WKR
I’m having a Tikka 243 rechambered to 243ai. I’m torn between the 105 hybrid and the 108-eldm, I have about 350 105’s and the 108’s are readily available. I know sending a loaded dummy round to the gunsmith is the right thing to do, but don’t have anyone around me with a FF case. Can I just load a virgin 243 case with the bullet seated where I want it? Next dilemma is do I have the throat cut for the 105 or the 108? How much freebore should I ask for? Sorry for the rookie ?’s, I’ve never done this before and want to get it right.

I have a 243 AI and shooting the 105 VLD Hunter, I use cream of wheat method for fire forming my brass, you can use 243 brass but to save barrel life cream of wheat works good for me.

Depends if you intend to chase lands or not. I assume the 108 will have a fair bit longer bearing surface?

If the smith is throating off a dummy round, it makes sense for me to seat a 108 ELD with bearing surface just in front of the neck/shoulder junction and ask them to do something like a 20 thou jump to the lands from there. Assuming the 108 eld has a fair bit more bearing surface than a 105 berger, that would make the berger a pretty decent jump if seated similarly in relation to the neck/shoulder junction. Id take this approach because I wouldn't care if the bergers have to jump a ways. If you want to be close to the lands you might want to do something different.

Jimbee

WKR
I’m having a Tikka 243 rechambered to 243ai. I’m torn between the 105 hybrid and the 108-eldm, I have about 350 105’s and the 108’s are readily available. I know sending a loaded dummy round to the gunsmith is the right thing to do, but don’t have anyone around me with a FF case. Can I just load a virgin 243 case with the bullet seated where I want it? Next dilemma is do I have the throat cut for the 105 or the 108? How much freebore should I ask for? Sorry for the rookie ?’s, I’ve never done this before and want to get it right.
What did you decide on?

OP
S

sveltri

WKR
I had it chambered for the 108, mostly because they’re cheaper, readily available, and people say they kill effectively. I’m sure I could work up a good load with the 105 Bergers I have on hand too though. So far just fire forming with a moderate load I am very happy, but can’t wait to see what it will do when I speed it up. Pretty much what @wind gypsy said without the extra .020 freebore.