225 Eldm for LR elk

I'm thinking about giving the 225 eldm a try in my 30 nosler when I get it put together.
The guys at Gunwerks seem to like the elds for long range hunting.
Any thoughts on using these for deer and elk, typical shots will be 600 plus.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The ELDMs tend to be slightly more explosive than Bergers which is great for extended range shots. We have had ELDMs fail to penetrate elk shoulder blades twice, once at 640 yards and again at 820 yards. Both elk needed follow up shots. If you are taking most of your shots past 800 yards then the ELDMS are great bullets! As long as they make it into the body cavity they cause massive damage. We prefer Bergers because in our experience they are a more reliable all-range hunting bullet. If you decide to try the ELDMs just stay away from the shoulder and you shouldn't have any issues!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The ELDMs tend to be slightly more explosive than Bergers which is great for extended range shots. We have had ELDMs fail to penetrate elk shoulder blades twice, once at 640 yards and again at 820 yards. Both elk needed follow up shots. If you are taking most of your shots past 800 yards then the ELDMS are great bullets! As long as they make it into the body cavity they cause massive damage. We prefer Bergers because in our experience they are a more reliable all-range hunting bullet. If you decide to try the ELDMs just stay away from the shoulder and you shouldn't have any issues!
Agreed. I would go Berger because of lower BC variation and they penetrate more before "exploding". Terminal performance difference between ELDM and Berger only seems to be how much penetration before they come apart. My Berger at 600 went through the lower shoulder and put bone fragments in the wound channel on my elk. That was a 180 vld in 7mm. Your 308 bullets will be even better.

If you shoot an animal inside 100 yards with an ELDM and even Berger, because velocity is so high they can explode immediately and leave a surface crater without penetration. I have seen pictures from Evolved Ballistics of it happening in 28 Noslers.

I have had good success with the 225 ELDm (300 RUM)on elk out to 800 yards. Devastating wound channel. Shot placement is the key and as previously mentioned I would avoid shoulder shots. Good hunting.

Used 220 grain ELDX in my 300 WinMag, dead elk at 505 yards, complete pass thru. Had Pendelton Ammunition work up a load for my Browning XBolt Max Long Range, 0.5 MOA!!!!!