223 or 243 for long range practice?

Looking to put together a rockslide special to allow me to improve my long range shooting. Currently shooting 6.5cm with 147s at 2700fps in a tikka with a can. So recoil isn’t bad but want to take it out of the equation as much as reasonably possible.

But what would thoughts be on a 243 instead of a 223? Too much recoil still?

Main reason being that in theory the 243 would be more useable as a long range hunting (I know about the 223 for everything thread lol) because it can shoot a bit bigger (115 dtac) instead of maxing out around 80ish grain bullets. Thats assuming I end up shooting the rifle well and it become my new mule deer rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
Looking to put together a rockslide special to allow me to improve my long range shooting. Currently shooting 6.5cm with 147s at 2700fps in a tikka with a can. So recoil isn’t bad but want to take it out of the equation as much as reasonably possible.

Main reason being that in theory the 243 would be more useable as a long range hunting (I know about the 223 for everything thread lol) because it can shoot a bit bigger (115 dtac) instead of maxing out around 80ish grain bullets. Thats assuming I end up shooting the rifle well and it become my new mule deer rifle

It would obviously be louder but have you given any consideration to putting a brake on your 6.5 Creed?

A good muzzle brake on what you have would reduce the recoil down even further than what it is with your can on it. I'd suggest giving that a try before you go out and buy a whole new setup, BUT, if you're just looking for a little help in justifying a new purchase you've come to the right place cause we are always more than willing to help someone spend their money. :)

OP
T
It would obviously be louder but have you given any consideration to putting a brake on your 6.5 Creed?

A good muzzle brake on what you have would reduce the recoil down even further than what it is with your can on it. I'd suggest giving that a try before you go out and buy a whole new setup, BUT, if you're just looking for a little help in justifying a new purchase you've come to the right place cause we are always more than willing to help someone spend their money. :)

I shy away from brakes simply due to how loud they are. Even with double ear pro you can still get hearing damage.

I hunted with one before and greatly regretted it. The main thing I guess would just be reserving the rifle before hunting with the suppressor. Any brakes you recommend?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How much recoil do you save between the 6.5 and the 243win (I don't feel like running the numbers), it can't be too much. With that in mind and barrel life in mind, etc. I'd tend to think the 223 would be nicer for your use case.

I have a 243 with the kids in mind that either wears a brake or a suppressor (now that I got mine finally) and with either it is fun as hell to shoot but cost wise its probably about the same as the 6.5creed to shoot, it also heats up eventually (not as fast as larger calibers), and barrel life is probably <2000rds. If going 6mm and it was an option I'd grab a 6creed over the 243win I think, esp. for your use case.

BUT I think a 223 would serve you better since you have the 6.5 too.

TaperPin

WKR
I think 243s are often used because they are handy - everyone has one. There is a real benefit to the 223 in ammo cost, but just as importantly, it doesn’t heat up the barrel as quickly. A 243 is burning a decent amount of powder for the bore size and that heat can really put a damper on a fun plinking session. It also burns out the throat sooner - accurate life is only about 1500 rounds in the 243. I often joke about buying a 243, shooting 1,000 rounds and selling it before accuracy goes to pot, but there’s a lot of truth to it.

What I like about a 243 trainer is it does pop a bit - keeps the recoil tolerance built up. More importantly, it makes a great loaner - someone who needs to borrow a rifle probably doesn't have the most experience and may not shoot larger calibers well. I always have the rifle and ammo loaded up and family members and friends know they are welcome to borrow it any time. Detachable scope mounts and a 6x scope can get roughed up and not damage the primary scope for the gun.

Having said all that, my new trainer is a 6br - better barrel life and the same case head size as the 243.

You can’t go wrong with 223 or 243 - either one is going to be great.

199p

FNG
I use the .223 for my practice, harder to pick the wind and cheap ammo, less heat and barrel life issues. Use it out to 800y on steel running the 77grn pill

Pokerface

FNG
.223 my vote, working on setting me one up for practice. I think recoil and cost are the main reasons as stated. Plan on using same scope as my main hunting rifle… Joe

It sounds like you really want a nice pleasant shooter.
I'm going to suggest a 22 caliber but not a 223 unless you're wanting to compete in tactical division.
A 22 arc (or better yet 22 BR) with 88 eldms around 2850-3000 would be a solid 500 yard deer killer, and it won't cost much more than shooting a 223.

Odd man out here but my 308 is my off season practice rifle. Easy to load for, long barrel life, more critical to hold for wind, a little more recoil that demands good form, etc.

When I spend a few weeks with my 308, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easy to shoot in comparison.

308 is also no slouch for a hunting cartridge. 1500 lbs KE still at 450 yards with my 178 grain ELD-X handloads.

Matt5266

WKR
Another vote for 223. As others said cheaper ammo, longer barrel life. Also easier to spot your shots which is what you should be trying to do... sounds like the perfect trainer to me 🤷‍♂️

Fujicon

FNG
Which cartridge are you training for? Seems to me you would want to train with your selected long-range cartridge and let that consistent practice eliminate recoil as your factor of concern. Might cost more, might take more range time and effort, but better end result. Would it make sense for a NFL quarterback to train with a junior football? Not sure training with 223R or 243W will help if your actual long range cartridge is 300 PRC, 338 Lapua, or similar. Even if just 6.5CM then stick with that.

eric1115

WKR
Which cartridge are you training for? Seems to me you would want to train with your selected long-range cartridge and let that consistent practice eliminate recoil as your factor of concern. Might cost more, might take more range time and effort, but better end result. Would it make sense for a NFL quarterback to train with a junior football? Not sure training with 223R or 243W will help if your actual long range cartridge is 300 PRC, 338 Lapua, or similar. Even if just 6.5CM then stick with that.
This has not been my experience. I think a more apt analogy would be that it doesn't make sense for an NFL quarterback to practice every day with full speed full contact defense trying to sack him and hit him hard.

Practice that lets you focus on the fundamentals without the anticipation of getting hit lets you ingrain those fundamentals. Then if you want to shoot a higher recoiling cartridge you add that in to the mix. But full contact all the time is going to cause some bad habits.

Mikido

WKR
Odd man out here but my 308 is my off season practice rifle. Easy to load for, long barrel life, more critical to hold for wind, a little more recoil that demands good form, etc.

When I spend a few weeks with my 308, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easy to shoot in comparison.

308 is also no slouch for a hunting cartridge. 1500 lbs KE still at 450 yards with my 178 grain ELD-X handloads.
Same. I have an APA brake on mine,
Shoot 50 round session fully comfortable

For your purpose, 223 for sure. There isn’t enough difference in recoil between the creed and 243 to get any appreciable difference

223 is the best option if you are looking for less recoil. I know there is a difference in recoil between a 6.5c and a 243, but it’s not a noticeable difference to me, I have shot them side by side, almost identical configuration, and they were in the same ballpark with felt recoil