Votes: 11 64.7%
  • New 22-250 gun

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Building a 22-250 barrel for existing action

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Kimmo H

FNG
Looking to buy / build something in .224 caliber for small game hunting and occasional range use. I reload, and am set up pretty well for the 22-250. I have plenty of LR primers, the same shell holders work on the brass, the same powder can be used as that I use for the 9,3x62 etc.
For the 223 I'd have to get a few extra shell holders, maybe another hand priming tool as I like to have everything more or less set up at all times to make a few rounds quickly if needed. I have a few hundred cci450 to start with, but dont know for sure when we get more on the shelves here in Finland. Nothing against getting the needed equipment to start loading these smaller cases.

I already own a couple T3X Tikkas and I'm planning on sticking with what works for me. I have one action that I occasionally change barrels on between 308win and 6,5x55. I could make a 22-250 barrel for this action, and the cost of buying a contoured SS Lothar Walther blank along with getting a reamer and gauges for it would be in the ~700€ range. The obvious downside is not having a 308 / 6,5x55 available when the 22 barrel is on. Not a deal breaker though as I have 6,5 creedmoor always in the safe.

Buying a new gun costs around 1100-1200€ for a basic model when you find a good deal.
There is no cost difference between calibers, and both would be 8" twist.

Brass costs roughly the same. 200 pieces of Lapua last a good long time, as this won't be shot out in a year or two.

Are there any obvious downsides on the 22-250? Has anyone loaded it down to 223 speeds with decent accuracy? The gun will be suppressed and I hope to keep the noise level tolerable for use on fields close to farms etc. Barrel length max 20", would prefer 18", but I'm not sure if the 22-250 will work well with a barrel that short...
I had a 22-250 years ago, but it was pretty worn out and with a 14" twist. Sold the gun, but the caliber could still be nice with a tighter twist and a fresh barrel.

My better half *might* be tempted to shoot this gun if the recoil is low enough. For her the 6,5 Creed is on the upper end of tolerable, and she can only shoot that for a dozen shots or so at a time, so mild recoil would be a plus. I'd guess the 22-250 won't be very harsh when suppressed, and the 223 is great to shoot obviously.

The finnish laws prohibit the use of .22 caliber for anything larger than a roedeer, so the hunting would be limited to black grouse, capercailie, fox etc and maybe if I'm lucky the occasional roedeer. Why so strict limits on bullet diameter is beyond my understanding, but the law is what it is. It's been a blast browsing the 223 for moose thread, looking at the end result of a 223 from 700 meters on biiiig bulls, knowing that we can't use the 22's for much of anything here, even when moose hunting here using dogs means shots are taken usually at ranges of 30-150m, and we can just barely use the 6,5Creed to do that due to joule and caliber requirements in place.

The unavailability of tooling, brass etc. rule out the 22 Creedmoor, and I don't need the angriest speed demon anyway.

I'm not in a hurry with this, so I'm doing my research first. Knowing theres a lot very good info here from guys who use the mentioned calibers, I thought to reach out for some insight on what would you do.

Post away if you have something to say, or vote on the poll atleast :)

I voted buy a 223. Just a couple thoughts that might not be particularly helpful..

1. That is bullshit that a tikka costs you a good chunk more in the country of manufacture than it does here in the US.
2. With current reloading component costs here in the US, I can buy quality factory loaded 223 ammo for almost the same price as the components to load it would cost. For practice and range time i'm done wasting time at the loading bench for 223 with some minor exceptions likely for 77tmk, 85.5 berger, 88 ELDm ammo. The bulk of my shooting will be done with factory 55 blitzkings, 69 SMKs, and 77 SMKs. Having an excuse to avoid the load bench = more time shooting = 223 for the win. None of this may be applicable in Finland.

TheGDog

WKR
Since you expressed a level of familiarity with hand-loading. And the rifle is available in 1:8 twist rate for both. Really the only questions for you are, Are you willing to put up with difficulties in obtaining brass, and potentially HAVING to always reload when it's .22-250, and that's just me assuming factory loaded ammo would be less available in your country possibly. And how worth it is it to you to get the added velocity and ft-Lbs the .22-250 can provide you? Do you have a habitat type where the longer range is of significant benefit to you?

And then for speed concerns, Hornady now has the 35gr NTX loading in .223 Rem that's 4000fps!

So I dunno.... I'd say if you're not really taking shots at farther distances... and don't really plan on pressing that .224 into service for taking bigger (deer-sized) game... that .22-250 may not be netting you benefits that are worth the hassle of always having to reload for it, etc.

Upon re-reading your OP. Yeah... sounds like .223 Rem would just be an easier choice all around. Since you can't go for big game with it anyway... and didn't sound like you had to shoot long distances all the time. And anybodies wife can shoot a .223 no problem, obviously.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
22-250 is a barrel burner and .223 is not so bad.
stay away from max loads though.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like a 22-250 barrel would make great sense in your situation. A new rifle would require another scope and as mentioned, going .223 would require more reloading equipment.

hiker270

WKR
With a 223 you would have better ammo availability. 22-250 is an awesome caliber though.

Tx270WT

FNG
While not super popular these days, another nice 223 option is the 224 valkyrie. I’m guessing you’re building a bolt gun which is where the 224 valkyrie will really shine. Main advantage is slinging heavy for caliber bullets.

Back to your original question, outside pistol primers, small rifle primers about as easy to find these days as any primer. Good assortment of powder, bullets, and brass.

Nothing wrong with the 22-250. If deer is possibly on the menu, would lean toward the 22-250.

.223...way more fun to shoot, doesn't heat up as fast at the range, long barrel life vs .22-250. I've had a few of each caliber and for what you are describing the use, get the fast twist .223....from a hunter of Finnish decent.