.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Thanks.

Factory Hornady 22 Creedmoor Precision Hunter ammo.

Factory Tikka rifle re-chambered to 22 Creed and factory Tikka 8 twist 22-250 barrel cut and threaded.

Rokstok, Maven RS1.2 scope, UM Tikka rings.

View attachment 763494

View attachment 763495
ES of 61 over 40 shots is beating a lot of peoples precious handloads out there, lol. 3137 out of a 19" barrel with factory ammo is impressive as well, I guess WA having a 24 cal restriction for big game actually just benefited my wallet for the time being because you're making me want one of those REALLY BAD :LOL: Fantastic job on the bull as well!! That shot placement was absolutely 🎯

If anyone's in Michigan, Jay's in Clare had a whole bunch of XBR on the shelf. First I've seen it in stores in years now. $62/lb

Tbone26

FNG
Thanks.

Factory Hornady 22 Creedmoor Precision Hunter ammo.

Factory Tikka rifle re-chambered to 22 Creed and factory Tikka 8 twist 22-250 barrel cut and threaded.

Rokstok, Maven RS1.2 scope, UM Tikka rings.
Awesome, I am going to try some of the factory eldx and eldm. Did you try the ELDM also?

Are those low or medium UM Rings?

80 grain ELDX. Mature bull moose. 523 yards. Roughly 2,180 impact velocity. Quartering slightly away. Moose was hit once, moved forward 20 feet behind some trees. Before I could shoot again he dropped (less than 5 seconds).

View attachment 763019

The “dreaded shoulder shot” with a “small bullet”…

Entrance.

View attachment 763015

Entered above shoulder bone and tore through lung. Sliced the bottom of the heart on the way through to the exit side lung. Broke two ribs and part of the scalpula before exiting. Both lungs were chunky mush and lung chunks on the ground and tree behind the moose where he was shot.

View attachment 763016

View attachment 763017

Two finger sized wound channel on the entrance side turned into a 4+ finger sized wound channel most of the way through the animal.

View attachment 763018
Solid

Big_wals

WKR
All you big game hunters need to read this article…your experience killing hundreds of animals with the 77 TMK must all be a fluke.

IMG_1246.jpegIMG_1247.jpegIMG_1248.jpegIMG_1249.jpegIMG_1250.jpeg

He makes some great points in favor of using a .223 loaded with 77 TMKs for elk. I’m not sure why he never mentioned it. Must’ve forgot, or it got edited out.

maybe it was Tahr or the pathfilms guy stated, but millions of kangaroos and red deer have been shot with a 55gr sp.

NZ deer cullers used 55gr sp .222 Sakos to abandon. And this was coming from decades of a 303 British. Why?

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Another data point for the 88 ELD m ala Kimber Montana 223AI this morning. Had a bull elk charge in from a kilometer out to a few cow calls, he’d run as hard as he could go for 200 m, stop and bugle, and charge again. Once he hit about 300 yards out he stopped bugling, or stopping. He was just running to the last spot he heard a cow call.
I was set up over my crossed hiking poles and hit a cow chirp on the diaphragm to stop him and he turned mostly quartered in to me and looking hard at 109 yards. Impact velocity would have been right at 2400fps.
Stuck an 88 ELD m into the leading edge of his onside shoulder and flicked in another round as he took three hops away from me. As he turned so he was quartering away I could see blood blowing out his mouth, and then he started to take a couple sideways steps and I laced him again (only because I find the shooting to be the fun part) and he flopped and died.
First shot to on the ground I estimate between 6 and 10 seconds.

First one exited at the last rib. Second one smashed 2 ribs going in and 1 on the offside at the back of the shoulder meat. I think that one exited, but it might be hung up in there.

A pair of 1.5” holes bored through everything. Lungs were littered with bone shard fragments around the wound cavity.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 197
Another data point for the 88 ELD m ala Kimber Montana 223AI this morning. Had a bull elk charge in from a kilometer out to a few cow calls, he’d run as hard as he could go for 200 m, stop and bugle, and charge again. Once he hit about 300 yards out he stopped bugling, or stopping. He was just running to the last spot he heard a cow call.
I was set up over my crossed hiking poles and hit a cow chirp on the diaphragm to stop him and he turned mostly quartered in to me and looking hard at 109 yards. Impact velocity would have been right at 2400fps.
Stuck an 88 ELD m into the leading edge of his onside shoulder and flicked in another round as he took three hops away from me. As he turned so he was quartering away I could see blood blowing out his mouth, and then he started to take a couple sideways steps and I laced him again (only because I find the shooting to be the fun part) and he flopped and died.

First one exited at the last rib. Second one smashed 2 ribs going in and 1 on the offside at the back of the shoulder meat. I think that one exited, but it might be hung up in there.

A pair of 1.5” holes bored through everything. Lungs were littered with bone shard fragments around the wound cavity.
Congratulations man! That’s awesome!

Thegman

WKR

That's great performance and a great story. Those 88s and the examples of the 80ELDX seem like they both do really well.

What's you muzzle velocity? Around 2575? (Assuming 2,400 @ 109 yards).

What's your barrel length and load with that?

My 7yo shot his first deer this morning via 223ai w/77tmk. He's been with me for multiple kills since he was 4 but wanted to shoot one this year. Was about 95yds, high shoulder shot and bang flop. Bullet exited and you could stick 3 fingers in it after I pulled the shoulder off. Lots of blood in the membranes between the shoulder and ribs, but not alot of wasted meat after it was cleaned off. Didn't see lungs since we quartered it up to carry it out., but I'm sure they were jellied.

Attachments

• 20240915_091834.jpg
    20240915_091834.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 131